Question about long distance and carry-ons

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjo

Hello. We begin our cross country adventure in less than a week and my mind has turned to packing. We are taking the LSL from Boston to Chicago with a hip-fake car rental for a family reunion and Niagara falls, then taking the Southwest Chief to Williams AZ and the bus shuttle to Williams JCT to do the GC Railway experience. We get back on the SWC to LA, visit my sister, rent a car and drive up through Yosemite. We return the car in Merced, hop on the San Joaquin, spend two nights in SF, and then it's the CZ to Chicago and LSL home.

We have two kids and a 15 day rail pass. Because of the Amtrak shuttle bus from Williams to Williams JCT, we are not allowed checked baggage. Travelling light is a challenge for us. Here's the question- when Amtrak says we get two carry-ons each, plus a personal item, does that also apply to the kids? Even though their tickets cost half as much? I'm just trying to figure out how many rolling bags of 28" or backpacks we can bring without getting into trouble anywhere.

Thanks! Can't wait!

Mjo

It has been a long time since I traveled with one of the grandkids, but they always had their own child-sized suitcases and backpacks.

I did a double-take when I saw 28". The last time I used a 28" suitcase was on a 11-day trip, which included Amtrak both ways from Chicago to Seattle and a 7-day cruise. It was very clumsy and uncomfortable and I used this brand-new suitcase that one time and then gave it away.

Now I use a walker. In October I took a trip which involved six trains and two Ambuses. I used a backpack and a 22" suitcase. I put the suitcase on the seat of the walker and the backpack on my back. It was a 12-day trip across the U.S. and Canada. I knew ahead of time that I would not be able to use a washing machine until the 8th day, so it took a lot of careful planning.

The rule of thumb is to pack what you think you need and then unpack half of it and leave it at home.

A year ago or so there was a thread about packing light. You might want to look that up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should have worded it 'I'm just trying to figure out how many rolling bags of 28" or less ...' The kids each have a 20" roller and then we have a 26" one. I'm looking at buying a 28" one from AAA, possibly two (one to replace one of thee small ones). I figure each kid will have a backpack and a roller, and we will try to swing in a cooler bag. My husband sleeps with a CPAP that takes up a serious chunk of luggage space. I think technically he'd be allowed more since it's a breathing apparatus, but I really just want to be clearly within the limits and not encounter trouble, while still being able to carry a lot. It's a 17 day trip and I don't want to worry about finding a place to do laundry in Yosemite or at the Grand Canyon. We don't necessarily need 17 of everything, but I don't want to be so light that we truly need to do laundry. Thus we need plenty of the basics (socks, underwear, etc). We're going to need a balance of both very hot weather clothing and warm clothes. Add travel stuff for the kids to do (books, activity books, coloring, cards, etc) and one laptop. We've been advised to bring a lot of snacks, since Amtrak can sometimes run out of food if running late (and some of our time is roomette but some is coach, so all meals not already paid for). Amtrak also advises bringing a light blanket since they don't provide them in coach, so I figure we need one for each kid and husband and I will just deal. The space needed adds up fast!

There's lots of tips on how to "Travel Light and Travel Right" and still have what you need while on long trips.

The biggest mistake most people make is taking stuff they don't really need and won't use, such as hair dryers,travel irons, lots of electronics,( if you have a smart phone do you really need a lap top,tablet,games etc) dress clothing etc.

Re clothing for temperature extremes, layering is the key and take a light jacket or hoodie for real cold.

Blankets can be cheap fleece ones that are carried on the outside of your bags and fold up travel pillows are always good. Amtrak also sells kits that have a blanket, neck pillow and ear plugs.

Most hotels and motels now have laundry rooms, but you can also take wash and wear underwear and socks and do them in your hotel to dry overnight. There are also tips such as rolling your clothing to pack in your bags.

If you are taking a cooler one soft-sided is best and your hubby's CPAP machine doesn't count as a carry on.

I've always traveled with the idea in mind of only taking stuff that I can afford to lose and will really use.

You also will want to use a Red Cap where they are available to help you board and detrain.

I wouldn't buy a new suitcase that big, there are a lot of inexpensive, expandable bags available but using what you already have is a prudent idea.

Also there is an old saying to the effect of pack what you can carry as if you have to carry it while walking for two miles in heat, rain or cold without help.

Just ordered two sets of those packing cubes. Never heard of them, until I just read about them here. They seem amazing.

I looked at those packing cubes. In fact, my granddaughter lent me hers back in October. They are good for organizing,but I can't see how they would save any room or make the load lighter. I didn't use them.

There is a laundromat at The Grand Canyon Camper Services building, although it says it is only open 8-6. ( I thought it used to be open longer hours. ). It is easily accessible by the village shuttle bus.

Any fare paying passengers gets the full allowance. However, going overboard on stuff for your trip can make your trip difficult.

If you're in Yosemite, there's a laundromat at Housekeeping Camp.

I think the first most important question is this: "Can you guys carry all that stuff?"

In general, if you can carry your luggage onboard, Amtrak is almost certainly not going to stop you. If you need to get a Red Cap (i.e. porter) to help you with your luggage, they might start counting pieces. They're probably not going to get out a ruler - at worst, they might ask you if you want to check it, but obviously you can't. After that, you're on your own. You and your kids are going to have to lug all that stuff on and off trains, to cars and back, etc.

The second most important questions is "Where are you going to put all this stuff on the train"?

There's a luggage area downstairs in both sleepers and coach on Superliner cars. However, that space can fill up fast, especially on the busier western trains in the summer. You may have to take some of it to your sleeper and/or store it above your seat in coach. Again, that's a lot of hauling stuff around, on your own (it sounds like your kids aren't going to be able to help moving this stuff). Plus, those stairways on Amtrak trains (at least the western ones) are narrow and twisty. If you have to carry most of the kids' luggage for them, it means taking multiple trips up and down the stairs, during a busy stop, while a whole bunch of other people are also trying to navigate through all those tight spaces.

So, in summary, I think your real problems are going to be logistical, not "legal".

And the last and least important question is this: "What in blazes is a 'hip fake car rental'?"

https://www.amtrak.com/baggage-policy

Carry-On Items
Each passenger may bring 2 personal items, 25 lbs. and 14 x 11 x 7 inches each, and 2 carry-on items, 50 lbs. and 28 x 22 x 14 inches each, onboard.

Your kids are passengers too regardless the fare you pay for them, and get the same allowance for personal bags and carry-on bags.

I usually only need 1 carry-on bag, a backpack that qualifies as my 2nd carry-on bag, and 2 personal bags - my laptop bag and my camera gear bag, for a 2 week trip.

The Southwest Chief stops at Williams Jct and there is no station there. There is no stop in Williams.

A van from the Grand Canyon Railroad Hotel meets the train and transports anyone getting off to the hotel that is about 3 miles away from where the trains drops passengers off.

I think the first most important question is this: "Can you guys carry all that stuff?"

In general, if you can carry your luggage onboard, Amtrak is almost certainly not going to stop you. If you need to get a Red Cap (i.e. porter) to help you with your luggage, they might start counting pieces. They're probably not going to get out a ruler - at worst, they might ask you if you want to check it, but obviously you can't. After that, you're on your own. You and your kids are going to have to lug all that stuff on and off trains, to cars and back, etc.

The second most important questions is "Where are you going to put all this stuff on the train"?

There's a luggage area downstairs in both sleepers and coach on Superliner cars. However, that space can fill up fast, especially on the busier western trains in the summer. You may have to take some of it to your sleeper and/or store it above your seat in coach. Again, that's a lot of hauling stuff around, on your own (it sounds like your kids aren't going to be able to help moving this stuff). Plus, those stairways on Amtrak trains (at least the western ones) are narrow and twisty. If you have to carry most of the kids' luggage for them, it means taking multiple trips up and down the stairs, during a busy stop, while a whole bunch of other people are also trying to navigate through all those tight spaces.

So, in summary, I think your real problems are going to be logistical, not "legal".

And the last and least important question is this: "What in blazes is a 'hip fake car rental'?"
Corollary to that second question: Where are you going to put all this stuff in your rental car?

Last time a organized a trip for four (all adults) in a rental car I had to be very, very stern and strict about baggage so it'd fit in the trunk of even a large sedan.

I just traveled with my 16 year old granddaughter for 11 days. We did a trial run of carrying our bags, her first reaction was I can't carry all this, you will have to help me. I said you carry your own. She quickly started eliminating having a "selection" of clothes per day. Then I told her to pack an empty box equal to what her souvenirs would be. At our next trail run she was lighter and down to one larger bag and one smaller one. I had a roller bag the size of an airline overhead roller. I also had a backpack with both our electronics plus other daily needs. What we did do was get her a replacement large bag that had a sleeve that would slip over the handle of my roller bag. She carried her other bag and wore the backpack. Logistics of getting into our car required she manage her bags, I placed the roller on the lower level baggage shelves (had a TSA lock), then we took her bags and the back pack to our roomette. Space was not a problem.

Last year, when I traveled with my 10 year old granddaughter, she had a roller bag she could manage plus a backpack that would not be too heavy for her. She had all the clothes she needed, being 10 she was more flexible than the 16 year old. I did carry her day use items due to her limited space. Again we did a trail run a day or so before departure.

Packing, I am known for getting more into a suitcase than anyone. As you pack feel the edges for low spots, this is where I use underwear and socks to even out the packing. I place the heaviest items to the bottom of the roller bag next to the wheels. This prevents crushing. Packing lists, Practice runs, Detailed planning, are my requirement before we go to Hawaii for four weeks or on any trip where we use public transportation.

Enjoy your trip.

Corollary to that second question: Where are you going to put all this stuff in your rental car?

Last time a organized a trip for four (all adults) in a rental car I had to be very, very stern and strict about baggage so it'd fit in the trunk of even a large sedan.
Sounds like they're going to run out of trunk space quickly unless it's a minivan. I don't know if there are any cars these days with the trunk space of a Crown Vic, which was one reason it was such a popular taxi vehicle. What's the joke about a gangster at a car dealer asking about trunk space?

Unless the kids are high school age, they might need to help with the luggage on the train. So far I'm imagining 2 full size pieces, 2 airline size carry ons, two kiddie backpacks, a computer bag, and a CPAP case. If there's more than that it means running into issues carrying and in vehicles. If the kids are small enough to they'll need car booster seats.

I agree to lighten up. Carrying stinky socks to wash at home may stink up the rest of the contents and then the luggage itself. Camper services at Mather Campground has a laundromat.

http://www.visitgrandcanyon.com/trailer-village-rv-park/rv-camper-services

As for "hip fake" I would guess some weird autocorrect.

Instead of packing cubes I use Ziploc compression bags to help with space saving though they don't help with the weight. I travel frequently in Europe on LCC's where due to being too cheap to pay for extra luggage I'm forced to utilize my non-camping type backpack (my usual carry on) as my everything bag. The compression bags allow me to flatten things enough to be able to fit everything in and still have room for a couple of souvenirs to bring back. I also have one I use specifically for dirty laundry to segregate that (and the odors) from anything else I'm carrying. The added bonus is that my luggage is far better organized than it was in the past. I'm also a firm believer in taking as few things as possible while traveling so I don't have as much to keep track of and potentially lose.

Instead of packing cubes I use Ziploc compression bags to help with space saving though they don't help with the weight. I travel frequently in Europe on LCC's where due to being too cheap to pay for extra luggage I'm forced to utilize my non-camping type backpack (my usual carry on) as my everything bag. The compression bags allow me to flatten things enough to be able to fit everything in and still have room for a couple of souvenirs to bring back. I also have one I use specifically for dirty laundry to segregate that (and the odors) from anything else I'm carrying. The added bonus is that my luggage is far better organized than it was in the past. I'm also a firm believer in taking as few things as possible while traveling so I don't have as much to keep track of and potentially lose.
I've been using ziplock bags for years now to pack with. I was so glad when I started finding larger bags (not the compression bags). I fill the bag and sit on it to press out the air and zip it up. I use one for my camping pillow when I'm traveling in coach.

You may be able to through check some bags from Boston to LA, or Chicago to LA and let Amtrak hold them until you arrive, if held over 24 hours there will likely be a fee. If this works you can pare down to check stuff you definitely will not need on the train, but will need for vacation portions.

You are going to have a rental car in a couple of places. A regular laundromat in a town along your route will probably have more machines than a motel so you can do all of your washing at one time. One adult stays to sit with the laundry, the other goes grocery shopping.

I'm one of those who routinely packs too much and ends up shipping a bunch of it home. My best packing involves making the assumption that I'll be buying T-shirts, fleece vests and hats as souvenirs and therefore packing few or none of those.

BTW, you'll be driving through prime agricultural areas of California during harvest for a number of crops, do stop at roadside stands for some. One of my favorite farm stores just off 99 is Simonian Farms near Fresno. They always have these incredible raisins, might still have some deglet dates when you are there, and stone fruits should be at their prime. Fresno County has a Fruit Trail, you might pick out a stretch for a little off-freeway travel. Here is other Fresno area info, I especially recommend the agricultural links.

Take the dinner jacket out not useful for the dinning car. Get a packable jacket, don't mess with sweatshirts or hoodies. Leave the computer home if you have a tablet, iPad, Amazon fire for $50:00 does it all. Also packable blanket comes in a small bag that's easy to carry and works great for a pillow. Not much needed for Yosemite, Showers and towels at Curry village along with as mentioned laundry. Don't even think about taking food to Yosemite, they have a great market plus a store at Curry.

Do have a great time.

I am a firm believer in packing cubes, but then i am anal retentive about many things in life. She Who Must Be Obeyed scoffed at them at first, and is now a believer.

We routinely go for two week jaunts with the following:

Each of us have a full size LL Bean roller - that will be checked. Can be rolled with us if needed. At worst they are in the downstairs rack.

We have a smaller roller for on-board needs that goes into the hotel if we have a renter.

I have a knapsack for electronics and all the travel arrangement stuff. I also have a large gym bag for all the meds, nebulizer etc i need to stay alive. This is not counted toward the Amtrak total. SWMBO has a large Shoulder tote and a KYSS bag. The KYSS is so cool, it is lockable. We never use it on Amtrak, but boy is it peace of mind at the hotel.

I routinely get by with three pairs of convertible hiking pants, if they get dirty they are easily washed in a hotel sink. I rotate three pairs of hiking socks, sink washed as needed. Four pairs of BVD's, rotated and sink washed as needed. Usually four shirts, buying three along the journey. I only have my Keene hikers and a pair of Crocs for footwear. Layers are the key, a hoody and good rain coat get me through everything. We also both use all weather golf gloves,,they take the sting out of a brisk wet wind.

If i can check,, i do . For example we use Flagstgstaff for the GC instead of Williams and get a renter. The GC RR is overrated, you have seen that scenery for a day ,,, might as well have the convenience. We have also checked luggage from Flagstaff to Sacramento (our Yosemite jump off point) and have been known to check one bag all the way to GBB from Flagstaff after our GC stay,, (we use GBB instead of Chi) When available, Red Caps are life savers

The suggestion to pack a bag then take half of it out makes sense. This isn't the Donner Party, you can buy a shirt if you really have too.

And since this is not the Donner Party, you can also purchase any food when you get really hungry.

WOW, thank you for all the information and suggestions, both about packing and tips about the places we are going. Very helpful!

Using a combination of reducing what we bring and packing it a little smarter, I think we have things down to something manageable and allowed. We did a mock packing on Sunday and refined from there. Each kid has the little 20" roller, and one will have their school backpack with the activity stuff for both of them, and one will have a small sleeping bag shell (think LL Bean standard bag enclosure) but rolled inside will be 3 light fleece blankets and maybe a couple other soft things. The shell has a nylon handle that fits right onto the small roller handle, so it's perfect. Those loads are fine for kids 7 and 10.

I got another 26" roller, so husband and I will each have one. His will fit his clothes and cpap, mine will fit my stuff plus toiletries and kids' overflow. Then we've got a smallish backpack with laptop (work requires me to bring) and a bag with snacks and other misc items, that clips to roller handle. We ditched the cooler entirely. It should be manageable for each person, and fit. Thanks for the help!

As for the debate about a "hip-fake car rental," hahaha! Is that a regional term? It definitely wasn't auto correct. When you take a hip-fake, you look like you're going one way and then go another, or take a quick diversion. A sports fake-out originally? I just meant we are popping off the train and renting a car for a family reunion, before getting back on the train a few stops west and a couple days later. Unfortunately, that means we need another set of shoes and clothes that vaguely will pass for the reunion, which is a step up from our norm and otherwise unneeded. Oh well.

Getting pumped! Very happy for the tips.

Good luck with the luggage. It still seems a bit tight for a rental car.

I think most understand hip fake as a sports term for redirection, but the combination with car rental seemed a bit odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back