Question about meal & sleep times on LD trains

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 13416

Lead Service Attendant
I keep what might be called a "non-traditional" sleep schedule. I am nocturnal by nature, and I am lucky enough to have found a job that fits right in with that, so I live and work and cook and clean from about mid-afternoon through sunrise, and then go to sleep. I've read several trip reports about long-distance Amtrak (and other) routes and have seen things like being called to breakfast, turn-down of bunks, lights out, those sort of things. Not all of those were necessarily on Amtrak trains, but it got me thinking.

While I am able to exist during "normal people" hours when necessary, I tend to be grumpy about it. As, I think, most people do when they find it necessary to adjust their sleeping hours. So if I were to book a bedroom/roomette on an Amtrak LD train, would I be expected to sleep when everyone else does, and wake up for breakfast with everyone else, or would I be able to sleep when I normally sleep (daytime)?

You can sleep whenever you want but do be aware that Amtrak staff have a habit of casually abusing the loudspeaker system to make trivial updates and broadcast information of limited relevance to absolutely everyone on the train. In some sleeper compartments you can turn the audio off but in others Amtrak has removed that ability. Even in sleepers where you can turn off the audio the speakers in the hallway will continue to shout at you regardless.

There may be an issue if you want your room converted to sleeping mode before sunrise. That may be too early for the SCA. The usual thing is for them to change rooms over while people are at breakfast, which except at some times of year is after sunrise.

You may also want to bring some soft ear plugs as other passengers tend to move around and talk in the passageways during the day.

If you are traveling solo, you might consider the approach some others on this forum take. Sleep in the top bunk of the roomette, but leave the bottom configured for daytime seats. Since on Superliner trains there isn't a window for the top bunk, it should stay nice and dark during the day and your SCA won't need to bother flipping the room on a schedule that goes a little against the grain.

If you are traveling solo, you might consider the approach some others on this forum take. Sleep in the top bunk of the roomette, but leave the bottom configured for daytime seats. Since on Superliner trains there isn't a window for the top bunk, it should stay nice and dark during the day and your SCA won't need to bother flipping the room on a schedule that goes a little against the grain.
We do that in the bedroom...the top bunk is left down the entire trip... handy for putting things when not sleeping. Once done, there is little need for the SCA to convert from one mode to the other.

Meals in the Dining Car (the included meals) are at a specific time period. Breakfast is from 6:30-9 am, lunch is from 11:30-2:30 pm and dinner is from 5 or so until 8 or so and by reservation time. Outside of those times, you can get something from the café from 6 am to midnight - but you must pay, as it is not an included meal.

Depending on the train you take, the meal times can be different. On the Texas Eagle, Breakfast was only served from 6:30 to 8am. Lunch (mini menu) was Served from 10:30 to 11:30. The train did not get into Chicago until 2:00pm. It seems the On Board dinning crew kind of set their own hours.

I too work during the night and sleep by day and think the points above are excellent, especially leaving the bottom bunk configured for "regular" daytime conditions and sleeping in the top bunk. I'm grumpy 24/7 whether I'm on my normal hours or not so being awake by day doesn't have that effect on me. :lol: Meals are a bit of a problem. It might serve you well to bring with you non-perishable food items for something to tide you over when the diner and cafe car are closed.

As for me personally I find there are some advantages with my sleep schedule while on Amtrak. I do try to keep with what is a "normal" sleep schedule. I usually retire for the night by 8:30 or so PM. This works to my advantage as I'm usually awake by 3:30 or 4 AM and the shower is almost always clear then. And I find it very peaceful to be in the Sightseer Lounge, watching the lights of the farms and towns as we roll by. Not to mention the occasional nocturnal thunderstorm. I live near Spokane and normal departure times there are at 0 dark 30, and while most passengers are barely conscious at that hour I am wide awake and ready to go. I once took the Empire Builder to Portland and was wide awake in the Sightseer Lounge while everyone else was sound asleep. The conductor was amazed I was awake and seemed grateful to have a coherent passenger to talk to at that hour. :)

I would suggest discussing your schedule with your SCA so they know and the good ones will let know about things you might want to do. Like maybe a dinner reservation, like if they come by while you are asleep your SCA could put your name on the list for the time you want. The good SCA's want you to have a good trip. They will bring your meal to your room if you want. I love watching the lights and the stars at night from the SSL if I can find a space with all the coach people sleeping on the floor. You should be fine and have a great trip.

See if you can make sure your roomette is at a low traffic area, then you should be good for sleeping.

Looks like you might have to miss lunch. Which train are you taking? Does it serve lunch?

Thanks everyone for your insights. I don't have a trip scheduled, it was just a general question and your answers will help in the decision-making process when I do plan a LD trip :)

Back