Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guest_fivsonsmom_*

I am making a trip cross country next week. I would like to make a cover/ organizer for the fold down tray table and would find it very helpful if someone knows the dimensions of the top (table area) of the folding drop down tables?

Thanks in advance!

Peggy

I'm shocked, 49 views, and no answer. You MAY HAVE stumped the AU gang...............
Well its a tough question. As there are a few different sizes. What train are you taking? What are you looking to use your tray table for? What would you want organized?

Here is a pic of what my tray table tends to look like

IMG_1797.JPG

That might provide some scale.

I'm shocked, 49 views, and no answer. You MAY HAVE stumped the AU gang...............
Aloha

When I "viewed" the topic in the middle of my night I had no clue as to what a cover might be. After seeing LTR's picture I would want something that would make the table larger to the back. Most tables I remember are about the same as plane tables, but the brackets allow them more space to make use more comfortable. You can see the slide in the upper left of the picture.

the tray on the TE was just slightly bigger than my laptop, which is roughly 12.75"x9". i'd guess the tray is about 1-1.5" deeper than that and maybe .75" wider, so about 13.5" wide and 10ish" deep. and an inch or so thick.

Hello, the train I am taking is the Southeast Chief, and then the Capitol Limited. I didn't realize different trains have different sized trays. I use the table for my laptop, but I want the table to have a cover that will house my travel pillow beneath the table, and have a drop down "skirt" for my glasses, cellphone, book and a pen and notebook. Roughly, my design is this: the fabric will go from the top of the table around to the back-- fitting on like a pillowcase? Then it will loop loosely under the table towards the front with a flap that will drop down to create the "organizer" section. The top and bottom will be connected together from the back with two to four strips of velcro for stability. I hope this makes sense. I am thinking I could make it to fit whatever is the largest size, with resizing tabs out of velcro, if possible. Thanks so much for all your replies and help!

You're taking the Southeast Chief? The stimulus money has created another train! Methinks you will be on the Southwest Chief. Enjoy your trip. Merry Christmas from Santa Claus.

Hello, the train I am taking is the Southeast Chief, and then the Capitol Limited. I didn't realize different trains have different sized trays. I use the table for my laptop, but I want the table to have a cover that will house my travel pillow beneath the table, and have a drop down "skirt" for my glasses, cellphone, book and a pen and notebook. Roughly, my design is this: the fabric will go from the top of the table around to the back-- fitting on like a pillowcase? Then it will loop loosely under the table towards the front with a flap that will drop down to create the "organizer" section. The top and bottom will be connected together from the back with two to four strips of velcro for stability. I hope this makes sense. I am thinking I could make it to fit whatever is the largest size, with resizing tabs out of velcro, if possible. Thanks so much for all your replies and help!
Sounds like a great idea to me. I'm forever dropping and knocking things off my tray. Would be a good place to put glasses when trying to catch a nap and affraid they might fall on the floor and get stepped on. Good luck with such a worthy project.

Ooops what was I thinking??? lol. I did mean the Southwest Chief. I have seen the organizer that was pictured too- looks very nice. I just sort of wanted to make my own version that did the things I wanted it to- and cost a lot less. It will match a comforter/ throw I made as well as the travel pillow.

I thought The Southeast Chief was going to be that stub train from NOL to JAX. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
LIVE from # 160!
The tray table is 16.75 x 10 x about 1 - but this car is an ex-Metroliner Club with 2x1 seats IN COACH! I'll try to get the other on the return in 1 hour.
WOW. They pulled all the old cars out for extra capacity this week! Nice score.

For some reason, my #135 post didn't post.

The "regular" tray table is a little smaller - 16.5 x 9.5 x 1

---------------

To rub in in some more :p

On the way back, they used a BC car for regular coach seating! :D Thus, my trip KIN-BOS had 2x1 seats and my BOS-KIN trip was in a BC car! And both were in coach! :lol:

For some reason, my #135 post didn't post.
The "regular" tray table is a little smaller - 16.5 x 9.5 x 1

---------------

To rub in in some more :p

On the way back, they used a BC car for regular coach seating! :D Thus, my trip KIN-BOS had 2x1 seats and my BOS-KIN trip was in a BC car! And both were in coach! :lol:
Don't know if they knew who you were or it's just karma for having to reschedule so many times due to the bad weather up there in South Artic! :lol:

Congrats on Select, remember to use your coupons in the CA and for upgrades since you're so used to being on AGR sleeper trips with "full" price is right privliges (aka FREE!!) Merry Christmas! Time for a LD trip, try the OMA-CBS or KCY-CBS 1 zone loophole trips, good stuff!, and they'll be glad to see you in PDX again!! :lol:

Thank you all so much for all the replies. I will try to get a picture to post when it's done.

Happy traveling!

Peggy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back