Riding the Lake Shore Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KC Ghost Rider

Service Attendant
Mrs. Ghost and I are going on a long overdue honeymoon (lets just say 24 years after the fact). The plan is to Ride the train in mid-May from KCY to NYP, spend a night in the Waldorf Astoria (Yes, a suite), and then take a voyage on the Queen Mary 2 to Europe. A couple of things come to mind. First, is the wine and cheese reception on the LSL still ongoing? Second, is there a good place to get supper (we don't mind pizza) near Penn. Station? Lastly, I am going to check my cruise baggage from KCY to NYP, therefore, how long is the wait to collect said baggage and is the baggage claim area easy to find? Oh, I almost forgot, is a taxi easy to find at Penn Station and does anyone know what the fare should be to the Waldorf Astoria?

Congratulations to you both! :hi:

First, you can not take the LSL from KCY. (But your knew that.) As far as the wine & cheese reception, yes as far as I know - until and if they change the departure to an earlier time. At NYP, baggage claim is near track #8 - which you probably will arrive at. Usually at NYP - allow 45 minutes after arrival.

I'm not familiar with NYP enough to answer your other questions.

Taxis should be readily available. Lots of restaurants along the avenues by Penn. I don't know if it is still there, but I used to like the Thai place at the northeast corner of 8th Ave. and 28th St

One of the best Pizzerias in Manhattan is just outside Penn Station at 31st and 8th! Simply come up the stairs/escalator Kitty Korner to Club Acela, walk outside onto the concourse and you'll be facing right at New York Pizza Suprema. A few years ago the Club Acela Attendant told me about it and even invited me to bring my "prey" back into the Lounge if I didn't want to eat there. Last Summer I purposely connected in NYC rather than WAS partly to get a couple more of those good slices into me :)

Yes, I know I have to take the SWC from KCY to CHI first :giggle: . Then there is that yummy Chicago style pizza to be enjoyed before boarding the LSL :p . I want to thank you all for your quick answers to my questions. I do appreciate it!

When I rode the LSL last year there was a plate of grapes cheese and lettace served. Wine was an option. This is done in the sleepers due to late departure from Chicago.

I last rode the LSL in September. Sleeping car passengers boarded about an hour prior to departure for the wine and cheese reception in the Dining Car. Each passenger received a plate with grapes and cheese, and the Dining Car Attendants came around and poured either red or white wine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations to you and Mrs Ghost!!

Before moving, I took the LSL often. Wine and Cheese was served on my last trip.

My family took a Christmas Cruise on the Queen Mary 2 a couple of years ago.

It is a very nice ship. Amtrak baggage claim is behind the stairs to Track 4 and

alongside the entrance to Track 5. It usually takes 30 - 45 minutes for the baggage

gates to open. Be sure to have your claim check handy.

Enjoy your holiday.

I think for your trip, I would highly recommend Patsy's (Brick oven) Pizzeria. The one in Chelsea is close by to Penn Station, and it draws a very upscale Chelsea crowd. It has white tablecloths, romantic atmosphere, dark woods, elegant table lighting, and a wonderful bar with dark woods, and the place has very high ceilings… A New York classic… Upscale but reasonable priced for New York City.

I would go there for dinner when you arrive that evening. Their pizza is to die for.. My favorite. And they have wonderful red wines too.. I would guess that it would make for a better fit with with travel plans you have, verses the place across from the very busy Penn Station. That spot may be better suited if you were changing trains, and did not want to venture out too far, for too long. But you are there for the night...

I would suggest checking in at the Waldorf and then head out to Patsy's by cab. By staying at the Waldorf Astoria you are assured of a waiting cab stand… That's nice… It really adds to the evening...

But Patsy's Pizzeria is a NY classic… Try to get by there while you visit Manhattan.

http://www.patsyspizzeria.us

BTW - Sounds like a perfect trip. I was impressed… Good job!

Thanks again to everyone who replied :) . What are great idea abcnews, it is definitely in the spirit of this trip! Steve4031 thanks for the tip, however, Giordano's is running a special with pizza and an express pass to the sky deck of the Willis Tower; I think Mrs. Ghost would love that.

Mrs. Ghost and I are going on a long overdue honeymoon (lets just say 24 years after the fact). The plan is to Ride the train in mid-May from KCY to NYP, spend a night in the Waldorf Astoria (Yes, a suite), and then take a voyage on the Queen Mary 2 to Europe. A couple of things come to mind. First, is the wine and cheese reception on the LSL still ongoing? Second, is there a good place to get supper (we don't mind pizza) near Penn. Station? Lastly, I am going to check my cruise baggage from KCY to NYP, therefore, how long is the wait to collect said baggage and is the baggage claim area easy to find? Oh, I almost forgot, is a taxi easy to find at Penn Station and does anyone know what the fare should be to the Waldorf Astoria?
I am guessing the fare would be about $15? Maybe a bit more? If a Yellow cab, it is metered. It's not a long distance but could be slow going cross town and they charge for slow going.

Thanks again to everyone who replied :) . What are great idea abcnews, it is definitely in the spirit of this trip! Steve4031 thanks for the tip, however, Giordano's is running a special with pizza and an express pass to the sky deck of the Willis Tower; I think Mrs. Ghost would love that.
That definitely justifies going to giordanos.

I don't mean to steal this thread, but maybe my question will help others too. I know getting a taxi to GO to Giardano's is easy because they are at the station, how hard is it to find one to GET BACK to Union Station?

I don't mean to steal this thread, but maybe my question will help others too. I know getting a taxi to GO to Giardano's is easy because they are at the station, how hard is it to find one to GET BACK to Union Station?
It's walkable. And in normal weather you can generally get taxis anywhere in the Loop easily.

Giardano's is only 2 blocks from Union Station.
It is a very quick and easy walk-just come out the Jackson Blvd side (south side) of the Station and turn left. You will cross the Chicago River and stroll past Sears (Willis) Tower. Giordano's is just past there on the south side of the street.

Being disabled, walking is not an option for me. I can do across the street, but walking a block or more, I would end up in the hospital. so as long as taxis are available, I will be fine and would love to go to Giordano's when I am in town waiting for the LSL on my return trip in April.

Another option (but I'm not sure if there's a minimum or if they normally do so) is delivery. We've had them deliver pizzas for our gang while waiting in the Metropolitan Lounge. They delivered our 6-8 pizzas to the Jackson Street entrance, where we met them. I would assume you can also eat either in the main waiting room or at the food court on the 2nd level. (There is an elevator bear the south tracks to get there.)

I stay at the Waldorf at least once a year. I can't think if a time when the cab fare was more than $20 with tip. I always exit on the 8th ave side because you have to go uptown to get there. There is a cab line outside NYP there.

IIRC the cab fare from NYP to the Waldorf was under $10 before tip in 2011. The Waldorf is masterpiece! Just avoid the starbucks in the morning that's a hell of a wait.. And there's one close by where while we waited multiple people left and came back with their goodies.

John's Pizzeria in NYC is a nice place. It's similar to Patsy's in atmosphere and type of pizza (brick oven, thin crust).

http://www.johnspizzerianyc.com/

That's just pizza, too. I think the best part about NYC is that if you are adventureous, and aren't afraid of trying something different per se, the options are endless.

Good luck on your voyage.

zgscl, Yes, I already know and have called Amtrak's Customer Relations about it. Assigned case # and my complaint forwarded.

cpamtfan, Thank you for the information and well wishes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back