Roomette security

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What goes BEST on french fries?

Gravy. Specifically, brown (but not too dark!) gravy.

Drive your cardiologist insane!

Traveling in an Amtrak sleeper car can be best described as being in a "closed environment", and its not a busy place. Theft is possible but happens very rarely. The sleeping car attendent is usually close by and as suggested if you close the door to the sleeper and shut the curtains everything should be there when you return. The risk of theft is very minimal.
What does that have to do with French Fries???

:D

Mustard might be okay, but I'm not sure if I'd like mayo. I like it on sandwiches and burgers, but steak fries? Maybe I'll try that next time I order them.
Try the Seattle version of mayo on fries... Tartar Sauce. YUMMMMMM
Hey, I'd really wanna try that out! I quite like Tartar Sauce. Not to be confused with those Nokhors and Jasaqs, of course! :giggle:

Traveling in an Amtrak sleeper car can be best described as being in a "closed environment", and its not a busy place. Theft is possible but happens very rarely. The sleeping car attendent is usually close by and as suggested if you close the door to the sleeper and shut the curtains everything should be there when you return. The risk of theft is very minimal.
What does that have to do with French Fries???

:D
:D :D :D :D

Sleepers are pretty safe, but if you're leaving the room dont leave the french fries out in plain sight. And make sure there aren't any tell-tale mustard and mayo stains on the seats!

Well if you really want some interesting fries, head to Canada and ask for Poutine.

poutine.jpg

Maybe the mods should change the title to this thread to "Room Security. Would you like fries with that? ". :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh my god, Alan. That looks disgusting. B really wants to head to Canada and try some, but he doesn't have an enhanced drivers license (or passport) yet. I've heard of a couple places in Detroit that serve it now, so we might do a quick points run over there some weekend. Plus, I've never seen the Detroit Amtrak station.

Oh my god, Alan. That looks disgusting. B really wants to head to Canada and try some, but he doesn't have an enhanced drivers license (or passport) yet. I've heard of a couple places in Detroit that serve it now, so we might do a quick points run over there some weekend. Plus, I've never seen the Detroit Amtrak station.
Sorcha: You havent missed much if you havent seen the Detroit Station! (the Sad Old Michigan Central Station is another story However!) The station is kept locked and there is an armed Guard that only lets those with Tickets into the Building! There is a sign that warms you about how Dangerous the surrounding area is (the Greyhound station a Few Blocks away also has one!) and the Bathrooms are kept Locked and the Agent is behind Bulletproof Glass! :eek: 'Nuf said! Windsor, across the Tunnel, is a whole 'nother story however! It's a great Little City! Almost every pic you see of Detroit is taken from the Windsor side looking across @ the River towards Detroit!

As to the Quebequios favorite dish,Poutine, trust me, it's Gross! :rolleyes: (Remember when Sister Sarah was called by those shock Jocks from Montreal and she thought Poutine was the PM of Canada!? :giggle: )

And if you want Gravy on your Fries, Cream Gravy (White for you Yankees!) is the way Dairy Queen does it! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
No need to head all the way to Canada for poutine - just go to New Jersey and order disco fries. They are basically the same thing, except they often have actual cheese instead of cheese curds, which in my opinion, is yummier. nom nom nom.

Well if you really want some interesting fries, head to Canada and ask for Poutine.

poutine.jpg
Poutine is awesome. Had many a bowl in the warming huts while skiing at Mont Sainte Anne. Skiing was great (cold as hell).The ride up and back on The Montrealer and VIA, behind Alco's and F Units, was superb.

Mustard might be okay, but I'm not sure if I'd like mayo. I like it on sandwiches and burgers, but steak fries? Maybe I'll try that next time I order them.
Hey, I'd really wanna try that out! I quite like Tartar Sauce. Not to be confused with those Nokhors and Jasaqs, of course! :giggle:
Even though us hicks, rubes, and hayseeds here in Eastern Washington lack the sophistication of our Seattle counterparts :lol: tartar sauce for fries is an option in most restaurants here. And it is excellent!! Swadian, you have my personal guarantee that you will love it!

As to the Quebequios favorite dish,Poutine, trust me, it's Gross! :rolleyes: (Remember when Sister Sarah was called by those shock Jocks from Montreal and she thought Poutine was the PM of Canada!? :giggle: )
Jim,

That was then candidate George W Bush who when asked about poutine indicated that he'd be having a meeting with Prime Minister Poutine when he got to Canada on a trip.

Being married to a Canadian, I'm familiar with poutine. I think 'interesting' is the best, most polite, way to describe it. :giggle:
Oddly I never learned about poutine from my wife, born & raised in Montreal; but rather when I traveled to Timmins Ontario famous for Shania Twain.

Wasn't Bush II referring to Putin?
Nope! Perhaps he was confused by the name, seeing as how in one other statement while running for his first term he also screwed up who was in charge of Russia at that time.

But he was heading for Canada and Putin wasn't going to be there.

Even though us hicks, rubes, and hayseeds here in Eastern Washington lack the sophistication of our Seattle counterparts :lol: tartar sauce for fries is an option in most restaurants here. And it is excellent!! Swadian, you have my personal guarantee that you will love it!
I'll make sure to have some if I get over there! And maybe someday I'll get some poutine, too!

I'll make sure to have some if I get over there! And maybe someday I'll get some poutine, too!
Actually now that AMTRAK service is again running north to Vancouver (WHEW CH we made it to the newscast without Gus announcing another 48 hour moritorium) you can take the CASCADES to Vancouver & get the best of both worlds... Poutine and Tartar Sauce! (and dont forget to have some Ivar's Chowder on the trip back)

Actually now that AMTRAK service is again running north to Vancouver (WHEW CH we made it to the newscast without Gus announcing another 48 hour moritorium) you can take the CASCADES to Vancouver & get the best of both worlds... Poutine and Tartar Sauce! (and dont forget to have some Ivar's Chowder on the trip back)
Oh? I thought Poutine was from Eastern Canada, like around Quebec. But if I can get it in Vancouver then I can go there a lot more easily than Quebec.

Last year I rode both coach and sleeper. When I rode coach, I sometimes had to go through sleeper cars to get places I wanted to go. I suppose I could have opened any roomette door to see what is there. If I were a bold thief, I surely could have. But Amtrak doesn't encourage leaving your most valuable stuff untended anywhere on the train. I had a backpack that pretty much went with me wherever I spent time. It isn't like there's anybody who works for Amtrak standing guard. I do think there is enough space between stops in the western half of the country for a theft to be discovered and reported to the conductor. Not sure what Amtrak would do in that case. Like to assume some action will be taken (not guaranteeing it, though, based on my general impression of their competence). It would be good to have a place online for every passenger who loses something to post it. I am in serious doubt that Amtrak itself will candidly divulge their crime stats.

Oh? I thought Poutine was from Eastern Canada, like around Quebec. But if I can get it in Vancouver then I can go there a lot more easily than Quebec.
It originated in Quebec, and it's probably still easiest to find it in Quebec Province, but it can be found throughout Canada these days with a little looking. Again, I had my one taste in Timmins Ontario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back