Roomette security

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to disrupt the fries discussion, but want to clarify one thing. On the Superliner at least, your main luggage does not have to be checked. You can park it on a rack on the lower level, and will have access to it at will. Obviously, don't keep anything of value in it. On our last trip, we accidentally dropped a small camera under one of the seats and didn't realize until we were long off the train. When we got home several days later, there was a call from L.A. station asking if we had lost a camera. After providing proof of ownership, it was Fedexed back to us (at my expense, but that was only fair).

Head for Newfoundland.......replace the cheese curds on your Poutine with stuffing.......cover it with gravy and you now have “Newfie Fries”

(Might have even been served in the dining cars on CN's Newfoundland narrow-gauge passenger train “The Caribou” !!)

I guess I'll know the policy is enforced when there is lines at the ticket windows and little or no baggage in the waiting area. On my first trip in decades, I checked my big bag. Got on my coach and saw people had incredible amounts of stuff wherever they were sitting. Next trip I didn't check anything. Does save time on waiting for the baggage to be unloaded at the destination. I'd like to think the checked baggage might be less exposed to mischief than stuff you take to your seat or roomette.

When I am in the sleeper, I always take my purse (which contains most of the valuable stuff I carry with me) along when I go to the diner, etc.

For the rest, with the carry-on in the luggage rack, I lock it. The one in my room, I rely on the old gag-medicine-cabinet-full-of-marbles bit to deter thieves: I stuff it so full of stuff that it would be immediately obvious if opened. And the stuff on top is mostly battered Penguin paperback novels (and not even bestseller novels) that I read en-route, so I figure most thieves would immediately be turned off.

On the other topic: Anyone here ever had fresh-made potato chips (I mean what we Yanks call chips)? They're incredible and nothing like the bagged ones sold in stores. Now, I'd be tempted to steal those off someone's plate. (But fries I can leave.)

On the other topic: Anyone here ever had fresh-made potato chips (I mean what we Yanks call chips)? They're incredible and nothing like the bagged ones sold in stores. Now, I'd be tempted to steal those off someone's plate. (But fries I can leave.)
I've been to Herr's for thier tours a couple of times and got to sample fresh made chips. It's been a long time so I can't remember how good they were. I do prefer Herr's from the store.

Amy and Alexander took the tour there not too long ago and raved about the fresh chips.

They also brought back some ridiculously awesome flavors that I've never seen in stores before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back