Roomette security

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year I rode both coach and sleeper. When I rode coach, I sometimes had to go through sleeper cars to get places I wanted to go. I suppose I could have opened any roomette door to see what is there. If I were a bold thief, I surely could have. But Amtrak doesn't encourage leaving your most valuable stuff untended anywhere on the train. I had a backpack that pretty much went with me wherever I spent time. It isn't like there's anybody who works for Amtrak standing guard. I do think there is enough space between stops in the western half of the country for a theft to be discovered and reported to the conductor. Not sure what Amtrak would do in that case. Like to assume some action will be taken (not guaranteeing it, though, based on my general impression of their competence). It would be good to have a place online for every passenger who loses something to post it. I am in serious doubt that Amtrak itself will candidly divulge their crime stats.
Well Amtrak specifically tells one that they are not responsible for electronics brought on board by the passengers. And on one of my trips on the Empire Builder, my SCA actually had a pair of $70 or so sunglasses stolen out of his room. Even though we didn't realize it and get a chance to talk in person, EBOBS was actually on that same run and when one of us started talking about that theft here on the board, we quickly realized that we'd been on the same train. It was suspected that a couple of young kids lifted those glasses, but never proven to my knowledge. And my poor attendant, who otherwise IMHO was very good at his job, was not happy.

So theft does occur on the trains. It doesn't happen often, but it does happen. So one should take precautions. Put your valuables either out of sight or bring them with you. I generally lock my laptop to the seat recline bar and throw a pillow over it. Other things are put into the suitcase. And money, wallets, purses, always go with us when we leave the room.

It is very unlikely that a theft will occur, especially if you take steps to hide things. Leaving something of value like an iPod however out in plain site is an invitation to trouble.

I've never had anything expensive or important stolen from me, probably because I've been extra careful with such things and I try to be near my possessions during station stops. However, I have had various possessions of little obvious value suddenly go missing and never turn up again. It's not uncommon to have children of various ages running around largely unattended as though the train were their personal playhouse. If you leave something out, anything at all, it could easily go missing. Possibly as a prank, or perhaps out of actual malice, but either way it's gone and you won't be seeing it again. Alerting Amtrak staff has little chance of getting your things back after they've gone missing and if you complain here on the forum chances are people won't believe your stuff was actually stolen anyway. Bottom line it's up to you to keep your things from being taken and Amtrak has done about as little as possible to make avoiding theft any easier than it was forty odd years ago. You still can't lock your luggage in a locker. You still can't lock your room while you're away. You can't even close your door from the outside at all. Theft is low in spite of Amtrak's polices and not because of them.

I'm partial to Bert's Mess - a staple at Grandma's K&I Diner about 2 miles from the Amtrak station in Albuquerque.

K&I10.jpg

I always keep items like camera, Kindle, netbook, phone, etc. and of course my purse with me at all times. I just use a large fabric purse for all of this, but any kind of small totebag or backpack would work. Theft is reportedly low on Amtrak, but I wouldn't tempt fate. I do wish there was some way to lock the room when you leave, but there isn't. We just close the curtains and the door, take valuables with us, and hope for the best! No problems so far.

I'm finding this thread to be very confusing. Did someone have their french fries stolen from their roomette?

Personally, I'd love to have fries on the train. I get tired of only having chips. If I found someone with fries I'd probably steal them too.

Poutine in the Bistro? What a (drool) concept!

Last edited by a moderator:
I can only imagine that a pot of boiling oil in a train kitchen would be an OSHA nightmare...

Of course, you can always bake fries...

Last edited by a moderator:
I make fries on a baking sheet. They come out nice and toasty/crispy that way. ^_^

I'm finding this thread to be very confusing. Did someone have their french fries stolen from their roomette?

Personally, I'd love to have fries on the train. I get tired of only having chips. If I found someone with fries I'd probably steal them too.
I just love to see a simple question asked on this forum, and come back 5 pages later and see what the topic has morphed into. :p I second or third the french fry thing too, and I bake mine

Hi, I am the OP and cannot believe what this thread has turned into, it is brilliant.

Firstly thanks to those who have attempted to ease our concerns over the security angle, we will make sure we have everything with us in a small bag when we leave the room.

Now onto the Chips/Fries/Frites issue.

Over here in the developed world ;) we enjoy a multitude of toppings on our chips including Ketchup (red sauce), mayo, chilli, gravy, cheese and tartare sauce to name but a few. If the chips are cooked right all of these make excellent toppings. We also have one none of you seem to have mentioned, we have a brown sauce, similar to ketchup but with a much more tangy taste. See if you can find that, although I have to admit it is an aquired taste. :wacko:

BTW they are called chips because the whole potato is chipped to make them, calling them fries is just wrong as the potato is not always fried when you make them. :p . As for calling them Frites I believe the French also call them that and we all know what the French are like :) . In the words of Monty Python, "What did the French ever do for cooking" :excl:

I am pleased to hear no one has had thier chips stolen from their roomette, I just hope my wife and I dont start a trend.

Many thanks for making me laugh and for making me feel welcome.

Cheers

John

Brown sauce = Branston Pickle? I've seen that in the "ethnic foods" section of local supermarkets and with the other gourmet/foreign things in wine and cheese shops. I bought some for an English friend when he came to visit, but I've yet to try it.

Brown sauce = Branston Pickle?
No, they are different. Brown sauce probably most resembles A1 Steak Sauce on this side of 'the pond.'

Branston Pickle is diced pickled vegetables in a brown colored pickling (think vinegar) sauce.

Mmm... BBQ... I could go for some pulled pork and mac & cheese right now.

Trust me the brown sauce we have on this side of he pond is nothing like BBQ sauce. I quite like most BBQ sauces but cannot stand the brown stuff across here.

It will be interesting to see what culinery delights we find during our next trip across, especially in NOLA where I suspect we will find more exotic dishes are the norm.

Cheers

John

I just love to see a simple question asked on this forum, and come back 5 pages later and see what the topic has morphed into. :p I second or third the french fry thing too, and I bake mine
complete agreement.

I think this is the most entertaining thread on the board. Too bad some people just have so much humor in their lives they don't appreciate it. If someone wants to drag it back to the original concept, they shouldn't grouse, they should just talk about roomette security. And then, sadly, I'll have to read other threads.

Why do I always get hungry when I think about roomette security?
Could this be backwards? :huh: Could the moral of the thread be that when one gets hungry aboard and wants a meal, one should think about roomette security? :eek:

:excl: NOT :excl:

THAT makes too much sense, and is entirely too practical, for us AUers. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back