routing of transfered checked baggage at WAS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
In April we will be traveling from TOL to ALX. #30 from TOL to WAS transfer to train 147 (no baggage car) to ALX. If we check bags at TOL on the Cap to ALX, which train will our bags be transferred to at WAS to get to ALX? I'm thinking the first available train with checked baggage service which I believe is the Star, followed by the Crescent, than Meteor. Or does Amtrak only use the Corridor trains for checked baggage transfers for such a short distance; Like the old Night Owl train. It's not a issue to walk the very short distance to the ALX station from our hotel to pick up our bags later. Can I request that our bags be transferred to a particular train when we check them at TOL?

They will be carried on the next train that offers checked baggage service,
This.

But do you really need to check your bags through to ALX? If not just check them to WAS. If you have big bags then check them if you feel the need. Smaller bags why bother? Unless you can't physically handle them on and off at WAS and ALX.

They will be carried on the next train that offers checked baggage service,
This.

But do you really need to check your bags through to ALX? If not just check them to WAS. If you have big bags then check them if you feel the need. Smaller bags why bother? Unless you can't physically handle them on and off at WAS and ALX.
Also depending on the connection time they might be better off taking a taxi from Union Station to Alexandria.

But involves a change of line at Gallery Place from Red to Yellow. And don't look for Alexandria station on the Metro. Look for King Street instead on the Yellow or Blue line.
That reminds me of when I took Amtrak/Metro to DCA (Reagan Int'l) a couple of years ago. I had trouble finding the station on the the board above the fare machines so I would know how much I needed to pay. Didn't know if I should look for Reagan or Airport or Wash Airport... And now I can't remember what I did find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back