Sad Day on the AU Forum...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually, I wasn't surprised when I heard it on the news tonight. The last time I was there the deep dish pizza was terrible. They pre-bake the shells and then just put the ingredients on top. Not sure if they microwave it at that point or put it in an oven for a few minutes to warm it up. It's not as good as the pizzas that are made to order "Chicago style".

With Chapter 11, they can stay in operation for a long while.

Before I get drummed out of AU I'll say that I dont care for Pizza that much myself, I have had better tasting and less costly Pizza in Chicago and other places but it was convient to CUS when the weather was bad! Id think that owing so much even if they continue to operate there will be various schemes to save $$$ including less staff, lesser ingidents and higher prices! Let the buyer beware, you Chicago members and those that get to travel through Chicago regularly keep us posted please! :help:

I'm not sure how you could think the pizza is microwaved or reheated. It takes 45 minutes from when you order until it gets served. The pizza is definitely baked fresh.

That said, reading the article I gather that their bankruptcy is due to inability to pay off real estate loans, and had nothing to do with the actual restaurant business itself. Given the state of the real estate market, that's not surprising.

The restaurant part of the business is still profitable, and therefore I would actually expect little, if any difference in how it's run.

Before I get drummed out of AU I'll say that I dont care for Pizza that much myself, I have had better tasting and less costly Pizza in Chicago and other places
Oh, man, next you're going to say you put ketchup on a hot dog!

Though to be honest I always preferred Edwardo's when I lived in Chicago, and Mrs Ispolkom usually preferred going to Cafecito when we had a layover in Chicago. We were there last month and the Cubanos are still to die for.

Actually there are two much better venues near the downtown station. I bet most experts would vote Pizzeria Uno over this bankrupt place with stuffed pizza. The original UNO is iconic, with true deep dish, Chicago style Pizza (1940s authentic), and the UNO location is nearby Union Station on Ohio (near Michigan Ave), and then there is their other location... Pizzeria Due.

Try it, you like it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Before I get drummed out of AU I'll say that I dont care for Pizza that much myself
THAT'S IT! YOU'RE OUT OF HERE!
mad.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But as said, they are not closing - they just filed for bankruptcy. Don't forget that Continental Airlines (before it just merged with United Airlines) IIRC filed for bankruptcy at least 3 times! In fact most of the US airlines flying today have at one time filed for bankruptcy!
rolleyes.gif
And I think at least 2 of the 3 major car companies in the US have filed for bankruptcy also!

The owner of Giordanos was a major real estate investor. Like many entrapraneurs the quest for even greater wealth caused him to make some bad investments in properties that lost money. If the company divests themselves of other ventures and sticks to the pizza business they may survive. Pizza is a very proftable fast food. As its mostly dough pies can be made with $3 of ingrediants and sold for $12.

Before I get drummed out of AU I'll say that I dont care for Pizza that much myself, I have had better tasting and less costly Pizza in Chicago and other places but it was convient to CUS when the weather was bad! Id think that owing so much even if they continue to operate there will be various schemes to save $$$ including less staff, lesser ingidents and higher prices! Let the buyer beware, you Chicago members and those that get to travel through Chicago regularly keep us posted please! :help:
They do have a nice bar Jim :lol:

Before I get drummed out of AU I'll say that I dont care for Pizza that much myself
THAT'S IT! YOU'RE OUT OF HERE!
mad.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But as said, they are not closing - they just filed for bankruptcy. Don't forget that Continental Airlines (before it just merged with United Airlines) IIRC filed for bankruptcy at least 3 times! In fact most of the US airlines flying today have at one time filed for bankruptcy!
rolleyes.gif
And I think at least 2 of the 3 major car companies in the US have filed for bankruptcy also!
How many times would Amtrak have to file for bankruptcy if it didn't get an annual subsidy, maybe 40 ???

I'm not sure how you could think the pizza is microwaved or reheated. It takes 45 minutes from when you order until it gets served. The pizza is definitely baked fresh.

That said, reading the article I gather that their bankruptcy is due to inability to pay off real estate loans, and had nothing to do with the actual restaurant business itself. Given the state of the real estate market, that's not surprising.

The restaurant part of the business is still profitable, and therefore I would actually expect little, if any difference in how it's run.
To look at a restaurant operation without a rent or mortgage quotient is incomplete. Typically, restaurants pay an amount equal to 6% +/- of sales towards occupancy costs. If higher, it may be a drag on cash flows.

Before I get drummed out of AU I'll say that I dont care for Pizza that much myself, I have had better tasting and less costly Pizza in Chicago and other places
Oh, man, next you're going to say you put ketchup on a hot dog!

Though to be honest I always preferred Edwardo's when I lived in Chicago, and Mrs Ispolkom usually preferred going to Cafecito when we had a layover in Chicago. We were there last month and the Cubanos are still to die for.
Yummmmm...Cafecito love the cubanos! and yes, I LOVE Pizza, and no, I do not put Ketchup on my hot dogs! But I spent 6 years living in Miami, and I'll take a good cubano over pizza anyday!

I'm an Aurelio's fan myself, but Giardano's will continue to serve pizza for AU travelers. The pizza business is sound, the owner just got over his head in real estate dealings (instead on concentrating on the food).

Before I get drummed out of AU I'll say that I dont care for Pizza that much myself, I have had better tasting and less costly Pizza in Chicago and other places but it was convient to CUS when the weather was bad!

That's OK, Jim, the one time I ate at Giordano's, I was with my uncle and, being the contrarians we are :lol: we had sub sandwiches instead of pizza. Great subs, too!!!

You are not the only AU member who does not eat pizza. Since I am allergic to garlic, eating pizza is not something I do often (unless I make it myself). On the way to the STL Gathering, a bunch of AU members met in Chicago and ordered Giordanos Pizza. I sat and ate my yogurt while they were eating pizza. I think they looked happier with their meal. :lol:

I am with you Jim. Giordano's pizza did not impress this ex-New Yorker. There is nothing better than New York pizza IMHO. :lol:

I am with you Jim. Giordano's pizza did not impress this ex-New Yorker. There is nothing better than New York pizza IMHO. :lol:
Whereas I'll say nothing's better than a Chicago pizza :lol: but I don't feel like Giordano's is the best, not by far. Giordano's is decent pizza to be sure; and Giordano's is easy to phone a pick-up order to thirty minutes prior to arriving at Union Station so you can walk over, pick it up, and be back at Union Station eating pizza within thirty minutes of arrival into Chicago; but take logistics out of the equation and I'll take Bella Bacino's or Uno's. Given nice weather and an on-time arrival into Chicago, Bella Bacino's is worth the walk!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back