Silver Star has new Café menu and no diner

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some analysis er did 5 years ago. I haven't revisited them, but it may be interesting for you to do so: http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/35761-a-look-at-fares-on-the-crescent/
Hi Ryan. Thanks for that link. Interesting material indeed. FWIW, that sort of analysis never crossed my mind due to my location and where we usually go. With rare exception, it always seems to be the entire route from end to end. I live so far out in the boondocks it'd take at least one long day to drive to anywhere near the midpoint of an LD train route! :p

If the Dining Car has been permanently removed from the Silver Star (as it seems), then I lament its loss, for the following reason:

Due to my dislike of flying, I have considered cruise itineraries which involve hopping on the Silver Star on the same day after disembarking from the ship in Miami (the Silver Meteor's departure time from Miami is too soon after the time ships dock there). With this development, I will most likely put this idea on hold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though the Meteor leaves just before noon and cruise ships are (rumor has it) seldom late, why not eliminate all anxiety about missing the connection by booking a hotel in Miami and then having the entire morning to get to the train station? You can even take your own sweet time getting off the boat! Just a thought.

Even though the Meteor leaves just before noon and cruise ships are (rumor has it) seldom late, why not eliminate all anxiety about missing the connection by booking a hotel in Miami and then having the entire morning to get to the train station? You can even take your own sweet time getting off the boat! Just a thought.
$$$

If it made sense for me to take the train following a cruise, I would book their lower fare sleeper on the Silver Star and come armed with a nice assortment of dinner items from a deli. Other than beverages or small snacks, they can take their cafe car menu and shove it.

If Amtrak no longer seems like it's the right solution for you then maybe you're just not trying hard enough. Have you considered wasting an extra day of vacation in a random hotel and/or hauling a mobile pantry around with you? If you just keep leveraging more and more third party services eventually you'll find a way to shoehorn Amtrak into your plans regardless of what they remove restrict in the future.

If Amtrak no longer seems like it's the right solution for you then maybe you're just not trying hard enough. Have you considered wasting an extra day of vacation in a random hotel and/or hauling a mobile pantry around with you? If you just keep leveraging more and more third party services eventually you'll find a way to shoehorn Amtrak into your plans regardless of what they remove restrict in the future.
:p :unsure: :( You gave me a good laugh--thanks, D.A. But what you're saying is rooted in a sad reality. More and more, the effort to "find a way to shoehorn Amtrak into your plans" seems less worth it.

After being so disappointed in the Star losing its dining car, I have come to terms with how I now feel about Amtrak. I now consider it the equivalent of commuter rail--better than that on some days, worse on others. In other words, I expect absolutely nothing good from it and am pleasantly surprised when there is (like the lovely business class attendant on the Carolinian, who offered me a soda and a real newspaper, even though I was only going a short distance).

Any positive experience on Amtrak now goes into the same category as, for example, the nice surprise of having a polite conductor or clean train on NJ Transit.

I have usually been an optimist in my life, but in this case, being a pessimist may be the only thing to keep me cheerful!

You mean it actually costs extra money to spend a night in Miami? Really??? Gosh, I never knew! How silly of me to even suggest such a thing. :blink:

But c'mon, seriously. It's only money! My idea is to enjoy it before the kids get it all as inheritance. And why should we be against going the cheapest possible way - instead of spending a little extra $. Isn't that what most of us gripe about Amtrak doing?

Some of us have bills to pay and families that depend on them and can't afford to throw down extra cash and burn scarce time off of work for that attitude.
Gosh, didn't realize I was the only one unaware of TML's financial, family and employment plight. Forgive me for suggesting such a foolhardy thing as <gasp> spending a night in a hotel..

For future reference, with whom do you suggest I consult before making future suggestions?

Some of us have bills to pay and families that depend on them and can't afford to throw down extra cash and burn scarce time off of work for that attitude.
Gosh, didn't realize I was the only one unaware of TML's financial, family and employment plight. Forgive me for suggesting such a foolhardy thing as <gasp> spending a night in a hotel..
For future reference, with whom do you suggest I consult before making future suggestions?
You must PM every member requesting permission to speak. ;)

Or one can just use a tiny bit of common sense and realize that some people have jobs and can't just willy-nilly add days to their trip because of Amtrak's shortcomings and throw cash at a problem that wouldn't exist if they just took a flight.

It's hardly an unusual position to be in.

Well, I sat here at the keyboard for a few minutes wondering what to say and then it suddenly hit me....

Why bother?

Well, I sat here at the keyboard for a few minutes wondering what to say and then it suddenly hit me....

Why bother?
Priceless

I agree Amtrak is leaving money on the table with tight connection to cruise ships. However the local motel are not complaining.

Or one can just use a tiny bit of common sense and realize that some people have jobs and can't just willy-nilly add days to their trip because of Amtrak's shortcomings and throw cash at a problem that wouldn't exist if they just took a flight.

It's hardly an unusual position to be in.
Plus, I'd think most travelers would think of a hotel as an option if they had the time & money, so no need to point that out to them.

Why bother?
Priceless

I agree Amtrak is leaving money on the table with tight connection to cruise ships. However the local motel are not complaining.
I wonder if Amtrak can better cater to the cruise line market and offer a same day arrival/departure from Ft. Lauderdale. The Silver Star northbound works well if you're willing to accept cafe car service but the southbound doesn't. It seems unusual the Star and Meteor arrive in the Miami area almost at the same time (within an hour of each other). To arrive in Ft. Lauderdale by 2pm, you'd have to leave New York around 8am and it would almost be on top of the Palmetto which has to have that schedule due to its day train nature.

Could an Amtrak-cruise line deal similar to Amtrak-Greyhound be an idea? I thought I remembered air-rail specials in the past (rail one way and fly the other) at one point. I'm guessing the airlines and cruise ships don't need Amtrak as much as Amtrak needs them while Amtrak and Greyhound working together mutually helps both parties.

Why bother?
Things that would have been better than this post:

1. *Actually* saying nothing.

2. Stopping 3 posts ago, rather than doubling down on the wrongness.

3. "I see where extra vacation days and spending extra money on a hotel would be a burden on some people. I'll keep that in mind when posting in the future".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back