Sleeper Meals

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I rode the CS last, I was given a bottle of Champagne after I boarded. On the EB, I received many bottles of either Champagne or sparkling cider during the trip. But not on any other train did I receive any free.
When was that? Last summer, or this year? I know they were providing Champagne to sleeper pax last summer for the 'soft relaunch' of the PPC (Pacific Parlour Car).

About a year ago I rode the Lake Shore Limited - they had a free wine & cheese party for the the sleeper pax.

I hope they still do :)

When I rode the CS last, I was given a bottle of Champagne after I boarded. On the EB, I received many bottles of either Champagne or sparkling cider during the trip. But not on any other train did I receive any free.
When was that? Last summer, or this year? I know they were providing Champagne to sleeper pax last summer for the 'soft relaunch' of the PPC (Pacific Parlour Car).
The trip on the CS was in March of this year leaving LAX. I did not receive any when I left PDX in March, or when I left PDX and SAC last October. The EB trips were last October (both ways).

About a year ago I rode the Lake Shore Limited - they had a free wine & cheese party for the the sleeper pax.
They still do, it just starts a bit earlier now, since the train now departs 1 hour earlier.

On the Empire Builder there are Welcome Aboard amenities which include a small individual bottle of either champagne or sparkling apple cider. It's usually only the passengers that embark from Seattle, Edmonds and Everett on the eastbound journey and those that embark from Chicago, Glenview and maybe Milwaukee going westbound that receive this. Many attendants can backorder extra and have more supply on hand but not all do.

Then there is the wine & cheese tasting aboard the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight. The CS I believe charges $5 per person while the EB does not charge extra. There is limited seating capacity for this event however. On the EB it's staged in the dining car and on the CS in the PPC.

The trip on the CS was in March of this year leaving LAX. I did not receive any when I left PDX in March, or when I left PDX and SAC last October. The EB trips were last October (both ways).
So there still is a possibility of free champagne for the sleeper pax on the CS as of right now. We will see on July 1st!! :cool:

They still do, it just starts a bit earlier now, since the train now departs 1 hour earlier.
So the LSL does it? Doesn't sound like it's a special occasion, that it's a regular feature.

So it seems that there are SOME routes that do give free alcohol to sleeper passengers! (hic!) :blink: :rolleyes: :lol:

Then there is the wine & cheese tasting aboard the Empire Builder and Coast Starlight. The CS I believe charges $5 per person while the EB does not charge extra. There is limited seating capacity for this event however. On the EB it's staged in the dining car and on the CS in the PPC.
To elaborate on what you said--

The wine tasting on the CS is $5 for Sleeper pax and $10 for coach (space pending) and they have 40 seats. The EB wine tasting actually holds fewer people because they seem to sequester it to half the diner. That means they are limited to eight tables at four per table, so thirty-two. I was one of the unlucky pax to get turned away at the door by Doris even though she had personally signed me up! The elderly couple next door to me mentioned I didn't miss much. They had only 20 minutes in the diner, and both Rolo and Doris had given up, just handing out wine to whoever wanted it without following the program. Doris did apologize and was able to give me a glass of wine and its appropriate cheese-- which I found to be a horrible pairing.

Comparing that to the CS is like comparing night and day:

The CS has TWO wine tastings, one with California wines, one with Oregon/Washington wines. They have the California wines in California, and the Washington ones out of Portland. The money, according to our attendant, goes to support the PPC which, being the old car it is, requires extra to run it. Hence why it is also part diner part rolling Starbucks part movie theatre with one attendant, and is chocked full of souveniers. The wine program there is much better. Not only are the wines of local color but they pair everything ingeniously. Having attended a few wine and cheese openings, I found it quite refreshing.

On to Champagne: I had "welcome aboard" champagne on both trains. The EB served some swill from New York while the CS had a far superior quality from California.

So the LSL does it? Doesn't sound like it's a special occasion, that it's a regular feature.So it seems that there are SOME routes that do give free alcohol to sleeper passengers! (hic!) :blink: :rolleyes: :lol:
Yes, you get it instead of dinner. Think of it-- it saves them a whole dinner service to give you a little nightcap and send you off to bed full of cheap wine.

what i don't understand alc is why there serving alcohol to a minor like you. your 20 so your still a minor in the US for alcohol. your underage drinking and you can go to jail for that.

The wine tasting on the CS is $5 for Sleeper pax and $10 for coach (space pending) and they have 40 seats. The EB wine tasting actually holds fewer people because they seem to sequester it to half the diner. That means they are limited to eight tables at four per table, so thirty-two. I was one of the unlucky pax to get turned away at the door by Doris even though she had personally signed me up! The elderly couple next door to me mentioned I didn't miss much. They had only 20 minutes in the diner, and both Rolo and Doris had given up, just handing out wine to whoever wanted it without following the program. Doris did apologize and was able to give me a glass of wine and its appropriate cheese-- which I found to be a horrible pairing.
That's a somewhat disturbing description of the wine & cheese event on the EB. Especially since you mentioned Doris and Rolando. Two typically very good sleeping car attendants.

The wine tasting on the Empire Builder is supposed to be planned to accommodate up to 60 passengers, 20 per sleeper car. The wines and cheeses were the same from 2005 until just recently and had got a little boring especially for repeat passengers. Both the wine and cheese were recently changed to be more inline with the quality of what is served on the Coast Starlight. All the events should be using glass, tulip style wine glasses as well, though I know some crews are still using plastic if they can get away with it.

The CS has TWO wine tastings, one with California wines, one with Oregon/Washington wines. They have the California wines in California, and the Washington ones out of Portland. The money, according to our attendant, goes to support the PPC which, being the old car it is, requires extra to run it. Hence why it is also part diner part rolling Starbucks part movie theatre with one attendant, and is chocked full of souveniers. The wine program there is much better. Not only are the wines of local color but they pair everything ingeniously. Having attended a few wine and cheese openings, I found it quite refreshing.

On to Champagne: I had "welcome aboard" champagne on both trains. The EB served some swill from New York while the CS had a far superior quality from California.
Since I'm not a wine or champagne drinker myself I don't have first hand experience but I was under the impression that the free champagne on the Empire Builder was good and also I thought it was standard on all the LD trains. If it's not standard then maybe it's something I can ask about upgrading.

what i don't understand alc is why there serving alcohol to a minor like you. your 20 so your still a minor in the US for alcohol. your underage drinking and you can go to jail for that.
And after you have been to as many wine and cheese openings in Chelsea galleries as I have, you'd learn that sometimes the most mature connoisseurs are the youngest ones. It is mind above matter, simply point. A method of enhancing the traveling experience and relieving that last bit of boarding stress.

Moving on to relevant matters--

ez223 said:
That's a somewhat disturbing description of the wine & cheese event on the EB. Especially since you mentioned Doris and Rolando. Two typically very good sleeping car attendants.
The wine tasting on the Empire Builder is supposed to be planned to accommodate up to 60 passengers, 20 per sleeper car. The wines and cheeses were the same from 2005 until just recently and had got a little boring especially for repeat passengers. Both the wine and cheese were recently changed to be more inline with the quality of what is served on the Coast Starlight. All the events should be using glass, tulip style wine glasses as well, though I know some crews are still using plastic if they can get away with it.
Indeed it was rather pathetic. I know they used plastic (but only because the dishwasher was KOed the entire run). The CS used proper glasses. I also penciled down the wines and cheeses on the CS. The sommelier who designed the menu on the Starlight is a master, supposedly the CS's own marketing manager.

The atmosphere on the Starlight was better. The $5 fee has a tendency to push away the droogs, as it were. I watched the pax coming out of the diner, some of them liquored up and most of them in a boisterous manner. The Starlight's patrons were very professional and engaged in conversation about aspects of the wine and even the cheese (no shortage of conversation about Tilamook cheddar). According to my compatriots in the next room-- the whole event had turned South the moment everybody had been seated-- no prizes were given, the extra half and quarter bottles went to whoever was drinking the most. (Explaining a few things).

The attendant in the PPC made the point to rinse our glasses for the fourth wine (A Riesling following an oaky Shiraz). This is something that takes a little bit of extra time and effort and would not go noticed by a random droog. The Shiraz would have totally contaminated the sweetness of the crisp Riesling.

As for Champagne-- there are three levels, like all wine. Swill, medium-level, and the supper high cost that you only get from the cellar and never in splits. I have never had a good New York anything... it has a very fake taste and rubbery texture. The California champagne kept an extreme dryness and was served with crisp apples. It was chilled, while Doris' champagne on the EB was not-- this will make a huge difference esp. with extra dry champagne.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was on the westbound Empire Builder over the Memorial Day weekend and participated in the wine and cheese event and thought both the wine and cheese choices, though not spectacular, were okay - just what I expected. Plastic glasses were used, though - but that might have been because we were running behind and the first seating for dinner would take place about 30 minutes after the time the event ended. I purchased a full bottle of one of the Washington State wines and brought it to dinner that evening and shared it with other passengers at the same table.

Sounds like they had their act together on the CS. You mentioned they had a stock of souvenirs-did you happen to see any Amtrak blankets?

And please tell, when was your trip?

So the LSL does it? Doesn't sound like it's a special occasion, that it's a regular feature.So it seems that there are SOME routes that do give free alcohol to sleeper passengers! (hic!) :blink: :rolleyes: :lol:
Yes, you get it instead of dinner. Think of it-- it saves them a whole dinner service to give you a little nightcap and send you off to bed full of cheap wine.
Our boarding times will be 11:30 pm & 11:59 pm, respectively. I do not expect dinner at that hour, although a snack would be nice! :lol: I don't think I'll be full of cheap wine, either. I just thought it would be fun & add to our trip. After all, hubby will be nervous about it, & we will be celabrating our 34th (belated) anniversary.

I'm a little concerned on how easy it has been for you to obtain alcohol. It was pretty funny, when I was underage, I did my best to avoid consuming in public. But after I turned 21, I got carded clear into my mid thirties. A little alcohol is ok, but it can become a habit for anyone. With many physical problems with it.

And after you have been to as many wine and cheese openings in Chelsea galleries as I have, you'd learn that sometimes the most mature connoisseurs are the youngest ones. It is mind above matter, simply point. A method of enhancing the traveling experience and relieving that last bit of boarding stress.

Moving on to relevant matters--

ez223 said:
Indeed it was rather pathetic. I know they used plastic (but only because the dishwasher was KOed the entire run). The CS used proper glasses. I also penciled down the wines and cheeses on the CS. The sommelier who designed the menu on the Starlight is a master, supposedly the CS's own marketing manager.

The atmosphere on the Starlight was better. The $5 fee has a tendency to push away the droogs, as it were. I watched the pax coming out of the diner, some of them liquored up and most of them in a boisterous manner. The Starlight's patrons were very professional and engaged in conversation about aspects of the wine and even the cheese (no shortage of conversation about Tilamook cheddar). According to my compatriots in the next room-- the whole event had turned South the moment everybody had been seated-- no prizes were given, the extra half and quarter bottles went to whoever was drinking the most. (Explaining a few things).

The attendant in the PPC made the point to rinse our glasses for the fourth wine (A Riesling following an oaky Shiraz). This is something that takes a little bit of extra time and effort and would not go noticed by a random droog. The Shiraz would have totally contaminated the sweetness of the crisp Riesling.

As for Champagne-- there are three levels, like all wine. Swill, medium-level, and the supper high cost that you only get from the cellar and never in splits. I have never had a good New York anything... it has a very fake taste and rubbery texture. The California champagne kept an extreme dryness and was served with crisp apples. It was chilled, while Doris' champagne on the EB was not-- this will make a huge difference esp. with extra dry champagne.
What's a 'droog'? You seem to know alot more about wine than an average person of your age would have.

We don't drink much except special occasions now, but we did enjoy it. A little too much. We're not too fond of champagne, but it's something we would have for something special. I am not critizing you about the drinking, but it does tends to concern me, for your health's sake. (the mom part of me does kick in)

Why would someone who brags about having logged over 48,000 miles on Amtrak, not know if Amtrak gives out free beer to sleeper passengers or not?
Maybe because she herself doesn't drink alcohol and until now couldn't care less but suddenly wondered if...?

And..uh..brags or just proud on that mileage?
I'm not bragging about 48,000 miles. Just happy to have been able to do it.

I haven't been fortunate enough to be in a sleeper for over 5 years and recently looked at the menus and, as ruudkeulers said, suddenly wondered if...?

I don't drink alcohol. I have nothing against it, I just don't like the taste of it.

Why did you assume I was bragging?

Yes, it does save Amtrak money. But then up until a few weeks ago, with a 10 PM departure time, there weren't many people who wanted to wait until 8:00-8:30 to have dinner. So this was a good compromise for Amtrak. It gives the crew something to do, it gives the passenger something special that they might otherwise not get, and everyone is happy.

Even now with departure moved up an hour to 9:00 PM, 7:00 PM is still rather late for many people. I typically eat that late, but many don't.

If free wine is part of the "Amtrak Experience", I don't care if I get served Two-Buck Chuck in a Dixie Cup. I'm just excited to be traveling cross country on a train. 33 MORE DAYS!!!

Let me be the bold one (or fool) to ask the obvious question since no one has yet. :ph34r:
Why would someone who brags about having logged over 48,000 miles on Amtrak, not know if Amtrak gives out free beer to sleeper passengers or not?
I am not a alcohol drinker myself and it would never occur to me to even notice if people were paying for their drinks or not. Just like I never read the price list for alcohol beverages in restaurants because I am not going to be ordering one. So I see nothing unusual about someone asking the question no matter how many miles they have traveled. Just means they had not noticed before.

Everyone has a right to be "proud" of the miles they traveled, in my humble opinion.

Sounds like they had their act together on the CS. You mentioned they had a stock of souvenirs-did you happen to see any Amtrak blankets? And please tell, when was your trip?
I was on train number eight on 5/29 (and several other occasions too). This was the most recent and the only one where I had the Doris and Rolando dream team. On train fourteen, I boarded SEA to SAC on the 5th of this month (just over a week ago). For sale they had: blankets, wine glasses, coffee mugs, lapel pins, playing cards, and a number of CS exclusive designs. T-shirts, ball caps, ect.

The blanket is (or was) a white fleece with the blue Amtrak logo on the corner.

Our boarding times will be 11:30 pm & 11:59 pm, respectively. I do not expect dinner at that hour, although a snack would be nice! :lol: I don't think I'll be full of cheap wine, either. I just thought it would be fun & add to our trip. After all, hubby will be nervous about it, & we will be celabrating our 34th (belated) anniversary.
Ahh, then I can't say you will have much of anything, not even cheap wine! I think you may have to buy it like anybody else and bring it on board. Think of it as a good thing-- you won't have headaches! Cheap wine gives me horrible headaches, I won't drink anything below mid-range stuff for that reason, and certainly nothing out of a cardboard box!

I'm a little concerned on how easy it has been for you to obtain alcohol. It was pretty funny, when I was underage, I did my best to avoid consuming in public. But after I turned 21, I got carded clear into my mid thirties. A little alcohol is ok, but it can become a habit for anyone. With many physical problems with it.
I know the feeling. I have never been carded because when I want to-- I dress and act to impress. I blend in and take full advantage of being able to hide my youth, as it were.

Amtrak's policy is like it is anywhere else. It may be stated as a more, but the legal limit is a folkway. People partake as they will. I prefer not to use the term "drink" as I rarely do-- I am very aware of my limits and have only been drunk once in my life. My jobs and gigs over the years have required that I be able to drink socially and maintain a professional attitude. When writing an article about a gallery opening or show, it is best to have a glass of wine in your hand so as to blend in. Drinking Coke is a sure sign that your interviewer is underage and a curator or manager will take advantage of youth. Thus it is a fair balance.

In the end, the ability to enjoy alcohol in a mature manner is tantamount and will, inevitably, trump any standing law.

What's a 'droog'? You seem to know alot more about wine than an average person of your age would have. We don't drink much except special occasions now, but we did enjoy it. A little too much. We're not too fond of champagne, but it's something we would have for something special. I am not critizing you about the drinking, but it does tends to concern me, for your health's sake. (the mom part of me does kick in)
A 'droog' is a reference to the movie/novel "A Clockwork Orange" where the generally badly behaved do-nothing boisterous teenagers are called "droogs" in a slang language with Russian and Welsh roots.

And for those interested, here's the menu I jotted down:

2006 House Cellars Chardonnay, Columbia Valley, Washington. -- wet, blunt, hard fruit aftertaste. Paired with: Just Jack, Washington. Pike Place Market soft white jack.

2006 Snoqualmie Whistle Stop Red, Columbia Valley, Washington.-- 70/30 blend of Savingnon and Merlot, with Merlot dominating despite being only 30% in the blend. Fruity, very berry with a soft dry taste and a strong aftertaste of currant paired with Tillamook Cheddar.

2006 Columbia Crest Shiraz Grand Estates, Columbia Valley, Washington. --Oaky, stern, dry. Bitter-- too bitter for my tastes. Paired with Tome, a white butter cheese from California. A good choice for Shiraz.

2006 Columbia Winery Riesling, Yakima Valley, Washington.-- Sweet, crisp, compliment to sweet fowl or as a stand-alone dessert wine. Peachy, sugar aftertaste. Not paired with any cheese on the plate, worked well with Just Jack, though perhaps a Wisconsin Brick would work better.

A habit of mine. When I do go to wine tastings where opinion matters, I prefer to know what I am talking about... so I write it down when I can.

Sounds like they had their act together on the CS. You mentioned they had a stock of souvenirs-did you happen to see any Amtrak blankets? And please tell, when was your trip?
I was on train number eight on 5/29 (and several other occasions too). This was the most recent and the only one where I had the Doris and Rolando dream team. On train fourteen, I boarded SEA to SAC on the 5th of this month (just over a week ago). For sale they had: blankets, wine glasses, coffee mugs, lapel pins, playing cards, and a number of CS exclusive designs. T-shirts, ball caps, ect.

The blanket is (or was) a white fleece with the blue Amtrak logo on the corner.

Ahh, then I can't say you will have much of anything, not even cheap wine! I think you may have to buy it like anybody else and bring it on board. Think of it as a good thing-- you won't have headaches! Cheap wine gives me horrible headaches, I won't drink anything below mid-range stuff for that reason, and certainly nothing out of a cardboard box!

I know the feeling. I have never been carded because when I want to-- I dress and act to impress. I blend in and take full advantage of being able to hide my youth, as it were.

Amtrak's policy is like it is anywhere else. It may be stated as a more, but the legal limit is a folkway. People partake as they will. I prefer not to use the term "drink" as I rarely do-- I am very aware of my limits and have only been drunk once in my life. My jobs and gigs over the years have required that I be able to drink socially and maintain a professional attitude. When writing an article about a gallery opening or show, it is best to have a glass of wine in your hand so as to blend in. Drinking Coke is a sure sign that your interviewer is underage and a curator or manager will take advantage of youth. Thus it is a fair balance.

In the end, the ability to enjoy alcohol in a mature manner is tantamount and will, inevitably, trump any standing law.

What's a 'droog'? You seem to know alot more about wine than an average person of your age would have. We don't drink much except special occasions now, but we did enjoy it. A little too much. We're not too fond of champagne, but it's something we would have for something special. I am not critizing you about the drinking, but it does tends to concern me, for your health's sake. (the mom part of me does kick in)
A 'droog' is a reference to the movie/novel "A Clockwork Orange" where the generally badly behaved do-nothing boisterous teenagers are called "droogs" in a slang language with Russian and Welsh roots.

And for those interested, here's the menu I jotted down:

2006 House Cellars Chardonnay, Columbia Valley, Washington. -- wet, blunt, hard fruit aftertaste. Paired with: Just Jack, Washington. Pike Place Market soft white jack.

2006 Snoqualmie Whistle Stop Red, Columbia Valley, Washington.-- 70/30 blend of Savingnon and Merlot, with Merlot dominating despite being only 30% in the blend. Fruity, very berry with a soft dry taste and a strong aftertaste of currant paired with Tillamook Cheddar.

2006 Columbia Crest Shiraz Grand Estates, Columbia Valley, Washington. --Oaky, stern, dry. Bitter-- too bitter for my tastes. Paired with Tome, a white butter cheese from California. A good choice for Shiraz.

2006 Columbia Winery Riesling, Yakima Valley, Washington.-- Sweet, crisp, compliment to sweet fowl or as a stand-alone dessert wine. Peachy, sugar aftertaste. Not paired with any cheese on the plate, worked well with Just Jack, though perhaps a Wisconsin Brick would work better.

A habit of mine. When I do go to wine tastings where opinion matters, I prefer to know what I am talking about... so I write it down when I can.
We did buy a cooler designed to hold wine for the trip-we plan to bring some along to enjoy together. We did used to buy boxed wine & mixed it with sprite to make our own wine coolers years ago. Better wine was too expensive for the budget. We live in a state where you must go to a state liquor store to get anything above 3.2 alcohol content. And the prices are higher because they attach a sin tax to it.

Thanks for the info on the souvenirs. I want to pick a few things up-just for the fun of it.

Were these all wines you tried on the CS? They sound pretty good. I prefer white to red, like goldener oktober.

We haven't had many chances to go to wine tastings here. No Wineries. Now if we still lived in California.....

Not if you get caught doing so. No judge is going to care if you were enjoying the alcohol in a mature manner.
Do Amtrak personnel ever ask for and ID when serving alcohol? I've never seen it happen.

Not if you get caught doing so. No judge is going to care if you were enjoying the alcohol in a mature manner.
Do Amtrak personnel ever ask for and ID when serving alcohol? I've never seen it happen.
I've seen it happen a few times, including on Acela in First Class.

They do. I've been asked, although I think he was joking. With my beard, way too much sun (and resultant wrinkles), and gut, while I am mentally 25 going on 15, I look more 25 going on 35. So I can't imagine him actually thinking I was under 21, but who knows?

As for ALC, if he gets caught, he'll learn why what he's doing is foolhardy. Underaged drinking in the form of enjoying wine with dinner at home is one thing. Attempting to do this in public is quite another. Oh, and ALC, the only wine I ever manage to imbibe comfortably is Manischewitz, which is cheap as hell. Cheap wine isn't bad, its just different. I like it sweet.

For some reason, besides that I only like hard liquor- scotch, bourbon, irish whiskey, tequila, Vodka, various brandys, and especially Cognac. Dunno why.

I do want to know why Amtrak has stopped serving cognac, though!

Perhaps its sugar headaches...

Nah-- I enjoy the flavor of fruit. A Christmas Merlot with leg of lamb beats Santa's milk and cookies any day!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back