Solo Travelers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind traveling alone... actually... I almost perfer it. I can get up when I want to, go to bed when I want it, and do whatever I want to without asking what other people want to do.
Solo travel is especially fun on the train because you can socalize and meet people. Some I have stayed in touch with.

A fun example of this when I travel from CHI-LAX on #421 (Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited)... with a good friend in LAX, it's a trip I take 2-3 times a year. I usually let it be known that we have an 8-hour layover in San Antonio coming (some people don't realize this)... and I always try and form a small group of fellow travelers to go and walk over to the Alamo and River Walk during the time we sit in SAS. I usually always get a few takers... and have a blast... and hopefully I add something to their trip too.
Leaving NOLA in the AM on the Sunset, getting in at SAS at 3-4ish AM. Brother is joining me at 5ish AM, if you are on the SL and looking for company, I'm the A******* in room E and just might join you for part of the walk to the river lights :blink:

Otherwise, loo ( or use your nose) for the Wild Turkey flowing ..........somewhere

On the other hand I am not a sportsfan, also I am not usually interested in shopping though a recent NYC Xmas trip was an exception. My needs are kind of unusual.I enjoy the live theatre and have done some of that in NYC and other places. But many productions in their full glory(not toned down) happen in Atlanta, especially at our Fox Theatre.
Stayed in a Hotel within Site of the Atlanta Fox Theater in 1976 during the Ice Capades tour. What good Theater.

But the scarecity of people who share our hobby makes these and other forums so meaningful. Who would have ever known!!
OH so true
WOW!

How old are ya, 108 :p :lol:

1 Ga Boy To Another
64 years young, Ga Boy :p :) :rolleyes:
Since our Calender years are the same would you say we are also 16 mental years old.

Mental age--16 might be pushing it.

As to the Fox Theater, it was almost torn down shortly after you visited it---coincidence, I am sure :p :lol: to make way for "progress", Fortunately it was spared and is in full bloom these days.

I did not move to Atlanta from Chattanooga until 1977 so I missed you by one year..(whew, that was close) :p :lol:

I frequently travel alone. As much as I love to travel, I can’t always find someone who wants to go where I want to go, when I want to go, how I want to go. I’ve traveled via Amtrak all over the country and have found people to be friendly and helpful.
I got a little scared in Seattle when the angular streets threw me off and I was momentarily lost. There on the corner was a man who was part of a group who answers questions for people. He got me on the right street.

In Washington D.C. a lady came up to me and said she’d seen me alone at some of the other monuments and she was alone too, so why don’t we travel together? We did and had a nice day of sight seeing.

I’d like to hear what experiences others have had – both men and women. I don’t feel anyone should ever avoid traveling because they can’t find someone to go with them.

I prefer to travel alone for the same reasons you mention, but I also like traveling with other folks. Like you, I have found most folks to be very friendly and helpful. I think this is due to a fraternal-like bond that exists among most fellow travelers. Most of us have experienced momentary confusion at one time or another and therefore, perhaps, we are more willing to help the other guy in a similar situation.

I have found hikers are pretty willing to help each other by passing on information about trail conditions, where to get supplies on the trail, shuttles, etc. There are times when hikers join up for a while and other times when hikers sense that folks just want to go solo to seek solitude.

I met a couple while having lunch on the SWC. A few days later, we bumped into each other at the Grand Canyon and then spent some time walking along the south rim.

Much, much of my travel has been solo. I am an introvert but have become less so in recent years.
This gets into why this forum is so meaningful to me. I have made few if any friends who were interested in trains to the extent I am.(until now) Yes, some family and friends have ridden with me but none enjoy it to the extent I do.

But the scarecity of people who share our hobby makes these and other forums so meaningful. Who would have ever known!!
...And who would have ever known you are an introvert. Meeting you at the 2007 Gathering is one of the memories which stands out. We discussed the newspaper business on the way to Aurora.

Much, much of my travel has been solo. I am an introvert but have become less so in recent years.
This gets into why this forum is so meaningful to me. I have made few if any friends who were interested in trains to the extent I am.(until now) Yes, some family and friends have ridden with me but none enjoy it to the extent I do.

...And who would have ever known you are an introvert. Meeting you at the 2007 Gathering is one of the memories which stands out. We discussed the newspaper business on the way to Aurora.
And here is looking forward to seeing you and others in Boston!!!

Traveling solo versus with a companion:
I like them both, although I do enjoy my layover Amtrak layover trips alone because I can shop, eat, go to a museum or people-watch.
When I took my trip to LAX, I had to go thru PDX (due to the routing :p ) - and because an AGR award is the same for 1 or 2, I invited my sister's fiance to go with me. (He has friends in PDX, and stayed there while I went to LAX. So we rode together from WAS-PDX, but I was solo KIN-BHM, BHM-WAS and PDX-LAX.

As an added bonus, during our CHI layover between trains, I had my own mini guide! He used to live in CHI about 15 years ago and knew the downtown area well! :)

As to the Fox Theater, it was almost torn down shortly after you visited it---coincidence, I am sure :p :lol: to make way for "progress", Fortunately it was spared and is in full bloom these days.
I did not move to Atlanta from Chattanooga until 1977 so I missed you by one year..(whew, that was close) :p :lol:
Aloha

Yes I remember how close that theater was to demolition, Our Tech crew each donated to the "Save the Atlanta Fox" group. I heard that a company "Live Nation" bout it reciently so you maty want to go before they run it into the ground.

Mele Kaliki MaukaMerry Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back