Springing forward on the train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHamilton

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
We've had discussions about changing timezones during train trips before, but this one is too good not to share.

Did I get this right? We are on the 1 Sunset Limited right now: We are traveling west. Yesterday, when we crossed into the Central Time Zone (on the 19 Crescent) at the Georgia/Alabama border we turned our clock back an hour. Daylight Saving Time begins tomorrow so we will move our clocks ahead an hour. Spring forward, right? Later Tomorrow when we cross into Mountain time at the New Mexico border we move our clocks back an hour. Until we get to Arizona which does not participate in DST so then we will turn our clocks back an hour. GOT THAT???? If we were to continue on to California which is in Pacific time zone we would need to set our clock back an hour for the time zone change and then ahead an hour to return to DST.
Via Facebook.

Uh, I think I'll let my phone change the time on it's own...though I did have to "nudge"it in Chicago last fall.

Still better than the 50 different railway times that use to exist. :D

Variation on an old joke...

Crescent passenger: Do we go back an hour when we cross into Alabama?

Conductor: No, we go back years when we cross into Alabama.

When the traveler enters Arizona when everyone else goes on Day;light time, this state stays on Mountain Standard Time. The result is that you could consider Arizona on Pacific Daylight Time, Arizona is two hours difference from the east coast in winter, but three in summer. The odd exception is that the Navajo reservation goes on Daylight Time, but Amtrak does not go there.

When I lived in NV (on the border) and worked in AZ (on the border), those time zones were fun. 5 months of the year (winter) they were different time zones but 7 months of the year (summer) they were the same time! :wacko:

Hopefully everyone traveling on Amtrak tonight and tomorrow, will realize that the LD Trains that are on the rails will be One Additional Hour Late arriving and departing!

Spring Forward, Fall Back is a good saying to keep track of the time change! ( all of Arizona except the Indian Reservation and Hawaii are the exceptions to Standard and Daylight Savings Time!)

Edited:I forgot Indiana joined the 20 th Century,at least in one regards, in 2006, and the March Forward tip is even better! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring Forward, Fall Back is a good saying to keep track of the time change! (parts of Indiana and all of Arizona are the exceptions to Standard and Daylight Savings Time!)
Except it's not spring yet, so I guess we March Forward.

All of Indiana has observed DST since 2006. Arizona (outside of the Navajo Indian Reservation in the northeast part of the state) and Hawaii are the only states that don't observe DST.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back