Steaming at the Diner Crew on the 4 (5)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha! I had that same whispering LSA and I loved it.

I thought it was cute and funny - a special little train experience.

It made me want to head to the diner asap.

When I got there, I told the LSA that his announcement worked its magic.

You know what they say.... different strokes

The inability to turn the PA off while I'm sleeping has me seriously reconsidering using Amtrak for LD trips. I am not even joking.

On the old Superliners, our SCA would tell us to leave it on channel 2 or 3 or whatever to hear the PA and then switch it when we wanted silence. Why couldn't they make (for example) channel 2 be the dining car, cafe car, station stop, SCA "hey, check out the scenery" channel and channel 3 the emergency channel? That way, at night, I could switch over to channel 3 so we didn't miss something emergent.

Or, as another poster mentioned, have some kind of override.

I know I can't be the only person who hates being awakened at 6:30 AM. When you factor time zones into consideration, I really feel for all of the people coming from the west.

The inability to turn the PA off while I'm sleeping has me seriously reconsidering using Amtrak for LD trips. I am not even joking.

On the old Superliners, our SCA would tell us to leave it on channel 2 or 3 or whatever to hear the PA and then switch it when we wanted silence. Why couldn't they make (for example) channel 2 be the dining car, cafe car, station stop, SCA "hey, check out the scenery" channel and channel 3 the emergency channel? That way, at night, I could switch over to channel 3 so we didn't miss something emergent.

I know I can't be the only person who hates being awakened at 6:30 AM. When you factor time zones into consideration, I really feel for all of the people coming from the west.
3 words

Ear Pa Lugs

3 words

Ear Pa Lugs
:giggle: :hi:

You may think you're funny with your "Captain Obvious" solution, but I'm one step ahead of you.

I wore earplugs on our last trip, and I could still hear the PA. I always bring earplugs because the crew doesn't know how to whisper in the hallway at 3:00 AM. Normally, the earplugs cancel that out, but they don't cancel out a speaker positioned six feet from my bed.

Save your mockery for someone else.

Or Amtrak could learn to not have quite as many announcements, and have them fairly standardized. Personally, the problem doesn't seem to be the fact that there are announcements, but there's so many unnecessary announcements.

If they had enforced quiet times between 10 PM and 7 AM local time (so no announcements other than emergencies) and standardized, simple announcements when needed (instead of overly chatty car attendants at times) it would help tremendously.

avpn40.jpg

I know how to type text over a stock photo too. Unfortunately, my response to you would be unsuitable for this forum. I have you on ignore, but unfortunately, I can still see you when people quote you. I wish the forum software knew how to do a blanket ignore.

I didn't mean to hurt your feelings :(

I was just kidding. It's just whispering :)

I know how to type text over a stock photo too. Unfortunately, my response to you would be unsuitable for this forum. I have you on ignore, but unfortunately, I can still see you when people quote you. I wish the forum software knew how to do a blanket ignore.
Mumble... I would much rather say something good about somebody than to bad mouth them... and found roomette's posting a step toward a more pleasant direction, besides finding the re-captioning delightfully ironic/snarky... so I thought I'd say something positive... you must admit, given the number of times that image has been used in this forum that the captioning is a bit sweetly ironic, no?

Theory: ignore and don't reward bad behavior (and if you must, thump on it); but do reward positive behavior :)

... though of course the irony of this whole thread is: since I travel coach, I'm up with the sun or the first talkers, ie, 0530 or 0600... so a 0630 announcement isn't a problem. ;-) ;-(

I'll never understand the folks who go out of their way just to post about how a given issue is of no concern to them. What's the point in that? If it really didn't matter to them they wouldn't bother posting about it in the first place. Personally I think silence is golden. Which is why I love forums and why I sometimes have a difficult time enjoying myself on Amtrak when I have no ability to turn down the noise level. I understand the lounge and the diner will be noisy and that's fine with me. But why does my own seat or sleeper compartment have to be bombarded with constant noise all day long? Shouldn't it be possible to have a quiet experience on LD trains just like it is on the regional routes?

Can you imagine the following announcement made throughout a hotel at 6:30am?

Good morning, this is your restaurant maître d'. At this time I would like announce that the restaurant is open and ready for breakfast service. The restaurant is located off the lobby next to the Bimbo Lounge and Sports Bar. Once again, welcome to the hotel.

There could be a riot.

Good morning, this is your restaurant maître d'. At this time I would like announce that the restaurant is open and ready for breakfast service. The restaurant is located off the lobby next to the Bimbo Lounge and Sports Bar. Once again, welcome to the hotel.

There could be a riot.
Since we're comparing. Can you imagine the wait staff in that restaurant making $28 per hour plus tips?

There could be a riot.
Since we're comparing. Can you imagine the wait staff in that restaurant making $28 per hour plus tips?
Now, now. Let's not drag the gas can and the blue tips into this discussion. :lol:

I'll never understand the folks who go out of their way just to post about how a given issue is of no concern to them. What's the point in that? If it really didn't matter to them they wouldn't bother posting about it in the first place. Personally I think silence is golden. Which is why I love forums and why I sometimes have a difficult time enjoying myself on Amtrak when I have no ability to turn down the noise level. I understand the lounge and the diner will be noisy and that's fine with me. But why does my own seat or sleeper compartment have to be bombarded with constant noise all day long? Shouldn't it be possible to have a quiet experience on LD trains just like it is on the regional routes?
If I just want to watch the world go by and wish to attenuate the background noise: shooter's earplugs :) also find that people notice when I have them in and tend not to try to start unsolicited conversations. [they also work well at night making the snorers disappear :) ]. The cheap foam ones are kind of ok; the soft rubber/plastic ones are much more effective (29 dB if I remember).

There could be a riot.
Does the $28/hr number impress you? If so, then why not work for Amtrak?

Mine are international orange and a different brand, but look pretty much the same... have maybe a dozen pairs which I use: on expeditions (to get sleep); on the train when I want to watch and not be bothered, or sleeping; while writing software at a client's cube farm, etc etc etc. They seem to last about forever... and at 29 dB they're bumping up against what one can attenuate via the ear canal - beyond that one has to work to reduce sound pressure conduction through the bone of the skull.

Here's a question for the smug ear plug crowd...

Why does Amtrak alone require specialized ear plugs when no other first world public transit system seems to have a problem with endless PA interruptions?

Have had a love/hate relationship with the cord tying them together: always snagged on things (always get's ones attention, especially if one is lost in the world of silence, to have the cord snag on something and have both plugs yanked out simultaneously); on the other hand, as long as the cord doesn't break if one could find one plug, then the other wasn't far behind ;-) So: I've gone with the individual plugs, just pack sets of 3 - that way I can lose one and still have a pair. [side note: trying to use just one (NOT suggested)... makes the world seem 10x louder :-( ].

But let us know how you like the watching people's lips moving... and seemingly not making a sound :-0

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back