Steaming at the Diner Crew on the 4 (5)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find that a good quality noise canceling headphone attached to nothing works wonders to keep both yelling babies and train crews suffering from verbal diarrhea on both Amtrak and airlines. Fortunately many airlines have started using pre-recorded scripted announcements, used strictly according to procedures, for normal stuff, spoken by a someone who actually knows how to speak English or whatever other language, thus making the announcements actually somewhat universally intelligible, and also keep them few and far between. Amtrak could consider trying that.

Assume that half of your passengers are more likely to be upset if you make announcements... and the other half are the opposite, they will be upset if you don't make announcements, particularly for the breakfast service. So what do you do? Would you rather get complaints for making the announcements.... or not making them? If you don't make announcements, people will have legitimate, compensable claims that service wasn't provided, information wasn't given, etc. If you do make announcements you risk annoying some people, but they won't be able to claim you didn't make the announcements.
I don't care about the announcements themselves. They can prattle on about pizza, beer, scrambled eggs, and the hokey pokey for all I care, but I want the option to shut that nonsense off until I wake up.

I used 37db earplugs along with sound-muffling (not canceling) headphones on our last trip, and I still woke up when the cafe car opened for breakfast and when the SCA blathered on about Kansas City for a good five minutes. That is why I want the option to turn it off/down or switch channels like I used to.

When I traveled in the transdorm, I didn't hear the PA at all. Someone told me the PA is shut off in the transdorm. If that's the case, then I'll make sure to book a room in there from now on. It's a decent compromise, especially since I liked the transdorm.

Can you imagine the following announcement made throughout a hotel at 6:30am?

Good morning, this is your restaurant maître d'. At this time I would like announce that the restaurant is open and ready for breakfast service. The restaurant is located off the lobby next to the Bimbo Lounge and Sports Bar. Once again, welcome to the hotel.

There could be a riot.
This. Exactly. There is an announcement before quiet hours that the dining car opens for breakfast at 6:00 AM. They don't need a second one reminding people. If they're up, they'll find their way to the coffee. If they're not, let them sleep.
Sarah - your two posts make me grin... all I could think of was: you must not have raised kids ;-) I guess my expectation of that level of silence went out the door twenty-eight years ago and although we're empty nesters, I guess I never regained that expectation or at least to that level: both ear plugs + muffs. (Yes, I have my 29 dB plugs - and they buy me a necessary/sufficient level of quiet - I feel no need to go beyond such.)

Have to agree: for those that are asleep, announcing that the dining car is now open for breakfast at 6am - that might be inconsiderate... probably could have made that announcement just before quiet-time the evening/night before. Likewise maybe announce that it's currently open at 7am (or whatever the end of quiet time is). But, beyond that, as long as people manage to get there if that's what they intend before they close: "then all's well, that ends well." ;-)

But I do have the solution for you: it's called.... private varnish - maybe an elegant Pullman from the 1920's (sans a PA system) - travel in resplendent class, and in silence (or with the music of your choosing)... now that would make one classy trip from CHI to ABQ.

But beyond that: I wonder if there isn't a balance or reasonable expectations in terms of: Amtrak is after all "public transportation" - does one really expect to travel via such as if in a six-star hotel? I guess I can appreciate your annoyance, but sometimes in life, the road to happiness means rolling with the punches. But having said that: maybe Amtrak should state and then follow a set of rules w/re announcements.

Can you imagine the following announcement made throughout a hotel at 6:30am?Good morning, this is your restaurant maître d'. At this time I would like announce that the restaurant is open and ready for breakfast service. The restaurant is located off the lobby next to the Bimbo Lounge and Sports Bar. Once again, welcome to the hotel.

There could be a riot.
Since we're comparing. Can you imagine the wait staff in that restaurant making $28 per hour plus tips?
Just curious. Have you ever worked in the hospitality industry? Waited tables, tended bar, washed dishes in a restaurant?
It is a shame that the journeymen electricians at Amtrak. The mechanic that is responsible for things like heat, air conditioning, 480 Volt cables, the lights in your room, the power for the waste system, and even reconnecting the speaker wires in some rooms does not make that $28, This is all expected when it is -35 or +110. Yes, I have done these and more under these conditions and am now retired but old before my time.

Gmushial - we do not have kids. Noise is the #1 reason. ;)

Maybe some day... having and raising such is one of life's truly formative experiences... if one does it right (or simply gets lucky??): allows one to see life through an entirely new (and maybe even more calm) set of eyes. :) ... But I do like the image of you resplendent in your own private varnish traveling the rails in true class. :)

Maybe some day...
Nope. I'll be 37 tomorrow, and I have never wanted them, not even when I was young. The older I get, the more sure I am about my decision. ^_^

I don't dislike kids (just noise). If you ever saw me with my nieces, you'd know they are a source of great joy to me. I spoil them rotten. I just don't want any of my own.

We could afford them if we wanted them. This actually works out to my nieces' benefit, as I can be the awesome aunt who helps pay for their Prom dresses, sends them checks while they're in college, and helps pay for their weddings. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think that Now-a-Days that Cost would be the Determining Factor! ;)
With most things in life: there are costs, and there are benefits - the cost for two is probably about $1m nowadays; the benefits (aka pleasures/satisfaction) vastly exceed that.
True that! But I only had One, a Darling Daughter, and Everything was Much Cheaper in the 60s! MY Granddaughter is a Joy to Me and her Parents, but it is Costing a Fortune to Raise Her and she's Only 12, but as has been said, "A thing of Beauty is a Joy Forever!" :wub:

Maybe some day...

We could afford them if we wanted them. This actually works out to my nieces' benefit, as I can be the awesome aunt who helps pay for their Prom dresses, sends them checks while they're in college, and helps pay for their weddings. :D
How'd ya'll like to Adopt a 12 Year Old Girl?? :lol:

Luckily both Sarah and I are women in our 30s in the modern era where can be child-free by choice. We are a growing group and frankly it gets really tedious when ppl try to convert us. If I had a dollar for each time I could afford to go cross country in a bedroom suite on a loop trip that took two weeks! :) . Just my $.02 on the non train related part of this thread.

Sarah have you tried white noise? I find that I sleep well with ear plugs in but then also a soft white noise app playing from the speaker on my phone (soft enough that one can't hear it next door but it will drown out ppl talking).

Maybe some day...
Nope. I'll be 37 tomorrow, and I have never wanted them, not even when I was young. The older I get, the more sure I am about my decision. ^_^

I don't dislike kids (just noise). If you ever saw me with my nieces, you'd know they are a source of great joy to me. I spoil them rotten. I just don't want any of my own.

And a most happy birthday to thee... may it be a most excellent day! :)

Luckily both Sarah and I are women in our 30s in the modern era where can be child-free by choice. We are a growing group and frankly it gets really tedious when ppl try to convert us. If I had a dollar for each time I could afford to go cross country in a bedroom suite on a loop trip that took two weeks! :) . Just my $.02 on the non train related part of this thread.

Sarah have you tried white noise? I find that I sleep well with ear plugs in but then also a soft white noise app playing from the speaker on my phone (soft enough that one can't hear it next door but it will drown out ppl talking).
Yes. This. Exactly.

As to white noise, I always sleep with a fan at home. I'm going to bring my camping fan on our next trip (it runs on batteries) to see if that works too. It won't help with the speaker, but it will help with people talking in the hallway.

I think I solved the speaker issue by remembering the transdorm has the PA shut off, though. That's how it was on the TE anyway. I'm not sure about the SWC.

Looks like there's nothing to complain about on the timing.
If paying customers don't want to be awoken at 6:30AM to hear the same generic breakfast menu each morning why should they be dissuaded from saying so?
Agreed!

Yes, they can't complain that it is a rules violation; but there is no reason that they can't and shouldn't complain about being woken up that early just so Amtrak can try and sell more food.

How lucky for the deaf children and parents who can't hear ANY announcements.

They may, however, miss some meals and that makes me sad. :(

How lucky for the deaf children and parents who can't hear ANY announcements.

They may, however, miss some meals and that makes me sad. :(
If they note their deafness on the reservation it will be noted on the manifest & if the OBS is good, they most likely will make sure the deaf person "hears" announcements.

Why can't Vanna White just parade up and down the coach with a sign that says "Omlettes, French Toast, Bacon, Sausage, Hot Fresh Coffee... Follow me!"

Hey - gotta get those coach folks in the Diner!

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes. This. Exactly.

As to white noise, I always sleep with a fan at home. I'm going to bring my camping fan on our next trip (it runs on batteries) to see if that works too. It won't help with the speaker, but it will help with people talking in the hallway.

I think I solved the speaker issue by remembering the transdorm has the PA shut off, though. That's how it was on the TE anyway. I'm not sure about the SWC.
Have you looked at any of the white noise apps? You can avoid bringing an extra piece of equipment. They do suck power so you need to keep your tablet or phone plugged in all night.

Yes. This. Exactly.

Have you looked at any of the white noise apps? You can avoid bringing an extra piece of equipment. They do suck power so you need to keep your tablet or phone plugged in all night.
The APP STORE has a couple of free ones that are pretty good. 20-30 different noises that will play all night or can be set with a timer to end at a certain time after you have fallen asleep. I use one when we are away and I don't have my fan with me. But, you do need to leave the device plugged in, as mentioned. They zap the power.

Sarah - I find great solace in the"nature sounds" generated by an Android app, that also includes "white noise". Amazon has sever of them. I enjoy "Relax Melodies" from Ipnos the most. I imagine the over priced I world has similar alternatives. I either plug my phone into a bedside Bose Wave Radio or use a little Oontz blue tooth speaker - and when it gets real bad I use ear buds. But then again I live five miles outside a town of 4K on a dead end road, my ambient noise is probably a lot different. Good sleep is sometime tough to have,,,, so good luck

Why can't Vanna White just parade up and down the coach with a sign that says "Omlettes, French Toast, Bacon, Sausage, Hot Fresh Coffee... Follow me!"

Even if she did that VF, someone would be complaining about the "ding-ding-ding" being too loud. Or the letters are the wrong color. There are people who will freakin' complain about a beautiful sunrise.

Even if she did that VF, someone would be complaining about the "ding-ding-ding" being too loud. Or the letters are the wrong color. There are people who will freakin' complain about a beautiful sunrise.
;-) ON

And then there are people that complain about people that complain...

;-) OFF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back