Sunset Limited

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MiniMax

Train Attendant
My wife and I are going to ride the Sunset Ltd from LA to Houston next week. It's been five years since riding it last. Of all the spectacular cross country rides, I'm somehow drawn to this one across the desert. Has anyone else ridden it recently? Anything to add?

We were on the route in August. Since our train was 4 hours late, we didn't see the standard scenery... mostly desert. I will say that, thanks to a wonderful conductor, we were able to grab a taxi and go a very quick drive by of the Alamo, which was an unexpected highlight of our trip.

Rode the SL/TE last December and again in August from Los Angeles to Temple, Texas and return. In SE Arizona, between Tuscon and Benson, you will go on or under (depending which track you are on) the Cienega Creek Bridge. This are is a protected natural area.

Westbound in December we were late enough that it was just getting light when we crossed the Pecos River "High Bridge"; in August, the days were longer which allowed us to again see the Pecos River as we crossed the bridge. Both trips, it was dark when we crossed the bridge over the Amistad Reservoir near Del Rio.

West of El Paso you will pass through the area where UP is constructing a new, quite large, rail yard at Santa Teresa.

Of course, you will be paralleling the border fence just west of El Paso.

August trip here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/sets/72157635985530103/

December trip here...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/frensicpic/sets/72157632626569620/

Enjoy your trip!

We were on the route in August. Since our train was 4 hours late, we didn't see the standard scenery... mostly desert. I will say that, thanks to a wonderful conductor, we were able to grab a taxi and go a very quick drive by of the Alamo, which was an unexpected highlight of our trip.
Did someone say the Alamo? :help:

:giggle:

Do you remember it? :huh: :p

Fess up TDC. Who are you really?

Don't forget the famous Burrito Lady in El Paso! I haven't ridden the Sunset eastbound since the new schedule went in but I would venture a strong guess with a 3 pm-ish arrival at ELP she'll be there. She usually positions herself by where the Coaches stop and will quickly sell out 2 large tubs of very well made tasty Burritos. And you will see Sleeper pax and Crew flock to get in line.

:hi: Nice trip! The Sunset was my First LD Train as a Kid and even though people put down the desert its still a well run Train with (Usually) Good Food and OBS!!! Remember you can Now use the New Metro lounge in Union Station to wait for the Train! Since you Leave after Dinner youll have the Opportunity to have a Nice Meal before Boarding (People say that Traxx in the Station is a Good if Pricey Place!)Plenty of Places in Chinatown, Olivera Tourist Town across the Street and Downtown also! (and if you're there Early Enough, have Lunch @ the Famous Phillipes up the Street! :)

Youll be able to take nice Breaks in Tuscon (also look for the old Zephyr Car @ the Maricopa Stop that used to be the Amtrak Station during the Stop there/don't think you can get off the Train though?) and in El Paso (as was said, the Burritos are Good! :wub: ) as well as Alpine and San Antonio! (if you're not Asleep, but since the Switching for the Eagle takes place here you might Wake-Up???)

Have a Ball and Please give us a Trip Report!!! ;)

I have done the SL/TE several times from LAX to CHI, but have never gone westbound, have it planned for January. Getting into ELP around lunch time, I hope the burrito lady is there, I will be at the door to get in line before we even get to the station.

Fess up TDC. Who are you really?
You should watch it You'll see... Fess played me on TV! :p

I rode the Sunset last October from Tucson to San Antonio and then continued on to Chicago in the through sleeper. I enjoyed the scenery in eastern Arizona and along the Mexican border. Overall, it was a very pleasant trip, although the sleeper attendants were not the greatest and we met the infamous Miss Polly in the diner on the TE. She certainly is a charmer.

I have ridden it many times in both directions and I have always found it to be a friendly and well run train. The scenery can be spectacular, particularly the skies if there are rain storms in the area. enjoy it.

I rode the Sunset last October from Tucson to San Antonio and then continued on to Chicago in the through sleeper. I enjoyed the scenery in eastern Arizona and along the Mexican border. Overall, it was a very pleasant trip, although the sleeper attendants were not the greatest and we met the infamous Miss Polly in the diner on the TE. She certainly is a charmer.
My two round trips from LA to Temple I had great SCA's every time...4 different ones on the SL and 2 different ones (twice each) on the TE portion of the trips. For me at least, its been a good experience.

When I rode the SSL in May 2010, I had the great fortune to chat with a tour guide between Del Rio and El Paso. He had signed on as a tour guide because he wanted to see his ranch from the rails rather than from a jeep or horseback. He said his sheep ranch had somewhere between 80,000 and 100,000 acres, with an average pasture of about 8,000 acres...I forgot to ask how many sheep he had on each pasture. This blew me away because my experience was a 750 acre 55 head dairy farm in Vermont where the average pasture was 40 acres. Apparently things ARE Bigger in Texas. :eek:

It was great to see his ranch from the train, mostly scrub and mesquite. We even saw a few antelope browsing a few hundred feet from the rails. They looked up as we passed with an expression that seemed to say "Oh, it's just you again", then went back to browsing. Also we saw Javelina and other assorted animals native to that area...wonderful. :)

When I rode the SSL in May 2010, I had the great fortune to chat with a tour guide between Del Rio and El Paso. He had signed on as a tour guide because he wanted to see his ranch from the rails rather than from a jeep or horseback. He said his sheep ranch had somewhere between 80,000 and 100,000 acres, with an average pasture of about 8,000 acres...I forgot to ask how many sheep he had on each pasture. This blew me away because my experience was a 750 acre 55 head dairy farm in Vermont where the average pasture was 40 acres. Apparently things ARE Bigger in Texas. :eek:
A joke I heard while living in Vermont:

A Texas rancher goes on vacation to Vermont and one day decides to take a long walk in the Green Mountains. His wanderings take him along some of the many beautiful stone wall lined dirt roads that criss-cross the state. These roads once passed through open farmland, but over the years the farms were abandoned, the land returned to heavy forest, and the area is now remote and little traveled. After walking for a good number of miles, the Texas rancher approaches on opening in the woods which turns out to be a remaining, solitary small Vermont farm. The Vermont farmer who owns it was out by the road tending his fence, so the Texan stops and they start chatting. A little ways into the conversation the Texan says "Back home I can drive for half a day and not reach the end of my land." There is a short pause in the conversation, when the Vermonter gets a knowing look on his face and replies "Yeah, I had a car that ran like that once too." :eek:

:p

Last edited by a moderator:
A joke I heard while living in Vermont:

A Texas rancher goes on vacation to Vermont and one day decides to take a long walk in the Green Mountains. His wanderings take him along some of the many beautiful stone wall lined dirt roads that criss-cross the state. These roads once passed through open farmland, but over the years the farms were abandoned, the land returned to heavy forest, and the area is now remote and little traveled. After walking for a good number of miles, the Texas rancher approaches on opening in the woods which turns out to be a remaining, solitary small Vermont farm. The Vermont farmer who owns it was out by the road tending his fence, so the Texan stops and they start chatting. A little ways into the conversation the Texan says "Back home I can drive for half a day and not reach the end of my land." There is a short pause in the conversation, when the Vermonter gets a knowing look on his face and replies "Yeah, I had a car that ran like that once too." :eek:

:p
EhYup, Good 'un theah... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back