SW Chief, high altitude sickness

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

theworldis

okay so I'm taking my first amtrak train from ma to ca! going big! I've never been at elevation higher than 4000ft (or maybe 7 to 8k in airplane cabin?) I know thr sw cheif goes through many different elevations topping it at 7850 or something close to 8. how common is it to become ill while taking this train? I'm terrified of getting altitude sickness. does the fact that you are traveling through make you more prone to alt sickness ?help!

Unless you have some medical condition, there should be nothign to worry about. You probably wont even notice it, and if you do, it will just be minor symptoms.

Everyone is different, but I personally dont start feeling the effects of Hypoxia until around 13,000 feet. (spent 8 years flying in the Air Force, still fly in private unpressurized aircraft, and have attended multiple training sessions in a hyperbaric chamber). So unless you have some medical condition (if you do, speak to your Dr first) but if you're normal and healthy, my bet is you won't even notice. Riding a train is sedintary, not a lot of need for much O2 anyway! Good luck,

I think maybe you are being a bit of a worry wart. If you have never been over 4000 feet you don't know how you will respond. I have been on the California Zephyr, which goes over 9000 feet, and know there were a few passengers feeling ill, but they were in the minority. I have felt lightheaded when hiking in Arizona at nearly 9000 feet. Just remain calm and you will not be exerting yourself on the train and you are not likely to have a problem. You might develop a slight headache. Stay hydrated. Raton Pass is the highest point on the old Santa Fe, as you say, around 7500. I live in Flagstaff at elevation 6800 and am accustomed to the altitude. Between Flagstaff and Williams there is another divide which I also believe is around 7500. Enjoy the trip and drink alcohol lightly, if you partake of those drinks. Let us know how you do!

There are millions of people living and visiting cities over 7000 ft (Mexico City) with no issue. It's hard to imagine a scenario where you or anyone else would run into trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've traveled on the SWC many times, and I never feel the effect of the altitude. It's such a gradual climb that I don't notice. I also can't tell that the air is a bit thinner, unlike when I walk around Santa Fe all day. I think it's because I'm sitting on my behind doing absolutely nothing.

Plus, the high altitude is mostly through the Raton Pass (around 7850 or so). Once you get south of that, you'll travel back down to 5500-ish when you hit Albuquerque.

okay so I'm taking my first amtrak train from ma to ca! going big! I've never been at elevation higher than 4000ft (or maybe 7 to 8k in airplane cabin?) I know thr sw cheif goes through many different elevations topping it at 7850 or something close to 8. how common is it to become ill while taking this train? I'm terrified of getting altitude sickness. does the fact that you are traveling through make you more prone to alt sickness ?help!
Unless you expect to be performing especially rigorous or physically exhausting tasks there is absolutely nothing to worry about. If you were asking about making a long distance bicycling ride through the mountains then it would absolutely be worth researching the effects, looking out for symptoms, and preparing your body in stages. Riding Amtrak through the mountains is a piece of cake. I've never experienced (or even saw anyone else experiencing) any problems related to elevation while on the train. For me riding Amtrak through the mountains feels about as physically taxing as lying on the couch and watching television. I currently live at about 750 feet and I've never had a problem riding through any of the various mountain ranges on Amtrak.

thanks guys. I was worried I wouldnt enjoy myself. so basically most people are ok at 8000 ft. now back to being excited!

They are right, If you are just passing through, there should not be aware of it. We go to Santa Fe, about 7500 ft and to takes me a day to acclimate. Dizziness and fatigue if I do too much right away, but settles quickly. I do have a filling that pangs for about 2 minutes at the Raton pass and going up form Denver on the CZ but even that is very temporary. Enjoy your trip!

You will have about 5 hours in Chicago and can go out to lunch and walk around a bit. Friendly city. Lovely station. Pick up some snacks for the train too. Then the ride through the plains is great if you have never seen them. I love watching small town USA go by. The next day the approach of the Colorado Mts is fun and then south through the Raton pass. beautiful. We have not been past the Lamy stop so I can;t say about the scenery but the desert around Santa Fe and ABQ is lovely too.

does anyone know if it's true that cabin air on a plane is around 7/8000 ft. because I flew for six hours with no issue. thanks for all the tips guys

does anyone know if it's true that cabin air on a plane is around 7/8000 ft. because I flew for six hours with no issue. thanks for all the tips guys
It depends on the plane and the altitude at which it's flying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabin_pressurization#Cabin_altitude
Flying for long periods creates far more noticeable (but in no way serious) symptoms in my experience. Symptoms such as dehydration, headaches, and the increased influence of alcohol and sleeping aids. I'm not talking about domestic and regional flights lasting two or three hours. I'm talking about long haul intercontinental travel over oceans. Flights of eight or more hours are quite noticeable and flights above ten hours become undesirable. I've traveled as long as fifteen hours on a single flight and over thirty hours on back-to-back flights and find the effects rather tiring. Travel on Amtrak has never produced any symptoms at all.

You probably won't even notice the elevation at all. (I never have.)

Another thing to consider is that much of the route roughly parallels the interstates on the routes from MA to CA. These include I-90, I-25, I-40, I-15, I-10 and I-5. The big difference is that the elevation changes (up and down) of the road is MUCH more abrupt than it is on a train. (As an example, the Mass Pike just west of Springfield has a hill with a 7% grade. Most tracks are less than 1% grade.)

If you can drive in a car/bus/truck, you will have no problems.

My memory is the highest spot anywhere on the CZ and i have been over it forty or so times,,,,, never a thought of it

Never had altitude issues on CZ or SWC but I am ultra sensitive to nose bleeds, and got one on the CZ....but that's me. You'll be fine! Have a great time.

I went to college in Utah, and was well-acclimated when I llived at 4500', and went skiing at 8-11,000 ft.

When I moved to Seattle (sea level), and went back to Utah on ski vacations, I had a hard time sleeping the first night in the ski lodge at 8,000 ft. Your autonomic breathing rate takes a day or two to re-set when you go from one altitude to another. It's possible you might notice a slight headache, or wake more frequently, during the period where you are initially at 8,000 ft or higher. But the train does not spend a full eight hours at its highest altitude, nor is it scheduled to be there during all your sleeping hours. And 7900' is marginal for problems.

The best remedy if you feel a headache is to take an aspirin and drink lots of water.

My last trip on the Chief, I got off at the Raton smoke stop to hike back for a shot of a beautifully restored Pullman car on the rear of the train. I was very surprised to find myself huffing and puffing even though walking only at a 'brisk' pace. Realizing then that I was at a higher altitude than normal, I got my shot and then turned around for my sleeper. At that moment the "all aboard!" sounded and I started really chugging to make it back to the front. Somewhere along the platform I had to stop to catch my breath, promptly passing out. Next thing I knew, 2 doctors from the Boy Scout ranch were there bandaging my arm and telling me I hadn't been making sense, and that I'd knocked out a tooth on the brick platform. The ER doctor at Raton's hospital later told me that the combination of altitude change and high heat (95+) tended to make us flatlanders do that. The story ended happily with me being in love with that little town and its medical staff, and Amtrak- who got me on next day's train. I'm on the SWC again in 2 weeks, but you can bet I won't be pulling that stunt again, even with all the TLC from the town, the hospital, and especially Amtrak. I'll behave this time - honest.

Nice story, glad the folks in Raton and Amtrak treated you well ! I'm sure you'll just step off the Train for a fresh air break and stay close to the door of your car so you can hop on when the boarding call sounds!

Never had altitude issues on CZ or SWC but I am ultra sensitive to nose bleeds, and got one on the CZ....but that's me. You'll be fine! Have a great time.
Thanks for the heads up. I also am sensitive to nose bleeds and will be on the CZ next month.

When crossing the Continental Divide either on the Southwest Chief or even on the California Zephyr, one is not at the highest point for too long, and one is typically not exerting while there. It would be very unusual for someone in otherwise good health to feel any effect. In general even in hiking in mountains they always say "explore high, sleep low", the idea being that try to sleep at a lower altitude that you are acclimated with, but feel free to travel high during the day. But none of that really applies to crossing the continental divide on trains. You are not at the high altitude long enough for it to matter that much.

Now if you were traveling by train to Lhasa it would be a different matter, and that train carries Oxygen to relieve altitude sickness. But we are talking 13, 14000 feet there for extensive distance and time, and a highest point of 16,627'. I have been on road trips that high in Tibet and in Ladakh in India. For those, it is better to be first acclimatised at at least something like 10 or 11,000'. Otherwise at least it is very uncomfortable the first few days, and sleeping can be very hard at night.

I got altitude sickness in Crested Butte, Co before I had ever heard of altitude sickness. Crested Butte's elevation is 8900 feet and I believe it was the second day that I got sick. On the Amtrak routes, the most that's happened to me was my ears popped. It makes me wonder if a person has to be at a high altitude for X number of hours before they experience mountain sickness.

I learned about Altitude effects in Mexico City (elevation 7,500) when I went to the bar on top of the Latin American Tower ( Latin Americas Empire State Building) and had a few Tequilas!

Muy Boracho! Rapido!

I never have had problems on Trains in the US but in Peru up in the Andes and in LaPaz, Bolivia ( highest airport in the Western Hemisphere and maybe the World?) It was a different story!

As was said you'll be fine riding on the Train!

Edited: thanks to penny, wrong airport! Oops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back