SWC-Capitol Run-Through

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
well just let you guys know that sleeper car attendant in texas eagle 422(the sleeper in back) is base out of LAX. They turn in San Ant .

Guest said:
well just let you guys know that sleeper car attendant in texas eagle 422(the sleeper in back) is base out of LAX. They turn in San Ant .
How long has that been the case?

I think for while. I work that car one time and it too bad .

Back to the whole lack of Superliner maintenance facility in Washington point, can't the train deadhead to Lorton, just about 20 miles away? If the Empire Builder can go Chicago-Portland-Chicago without major servicing, 3,000 miles isn't too much.

29 nows turns as 30 in chicagao. We now keep our own equipement intsead of sharing it with LA. As onboard personal( thats work the CL all the time) it been so much easier on us. We also run the same meal cycle (in which we did in past) roundtrip.

Since both these routes share the same equipment, why not call them the same train? Shorten the layover at Chicago a little bit, and it would be a "seamless" LA-Washington train. How grand would that be!?!? It would be the train that would represent America, hitting the biggest pop. areas while crossing the continent. Of course it probably won't happen, just an idea though. Comments?

Didn't it have to do with 29/30 getting the Diner-Lounge, or did they have enough with the delays? If it was the latter they should have done it ages ago.
I don't think that it had anything to do with the delays, as the SW Chief actually has a pretty good on time record. In fact it was running through this past June when I took my big trip. I'm sure that it has more to do with the Diner Lite experiment currently underway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to the whole lack of Superliner maintenance facility in Washington point, can't the train deadhead to Lorton, just about 20 miles away? If the Empire Builder can go Chicago-Portland-Chicago without major servicing, 3,000 miles isn't too much.
I could be wrong, but I don't think that Lorton has any major facilities for servicing Superliner equipment. I believe that almost all of the major work is done in Sanford.

I'm also wondering why we are revisiting this year old topic. :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Lorton is a very basic turn around spot. They have no major maintenance facilities. Right now the only two things Lorton has on Sanford is storage space and a turntable. Lorton pretty much takes the train in as-is, cleans it, does FRA required inspections and sends it back out. Any major repairs that need to be done are done in Sanford. As for the idea of deadheading equipment on a regular basis that's hard to do since there's so much traffic on the RF&P. Because of how good the maintenance is in Sanford they really don't have to rotate equipment in and out of there. Any road power swapping is generally done with Silver Service make a special stop in Sanford IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back