Texas Eagle Conductor: This... is... a... recording.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackshirt Husker

Service Attendant
Every single stop, she gives the same exact announcement: Children must be accompanied by an adult to the bathrooms. They must not play, stand, or run in the aisles. Children must be seated at all times. Children must be accompanied to the lounge car. And on, and on, and on, all delivered in the same stern voice.

We're talking every stop--same refrain. I know that she has a job to do, but does she have to sound so strident and joyless? Talk to the parents of the kids in question if there's a problem; the rest of us really don't need the same speech delivered after every single stop. I don't think I've ever heard an Amtrak conductor with less personality; most at least try to appear like they're enjoying their job and do something besides recite rules over the PA. The best ones actually use humor to get their point across on the PA; we just had a Dining Car Attendant on the Sunset Limited who could have done stand-up on The Tonight Show, and believe me, that approach is much preferred by most passengers.

Oh Good Lord; she just repeated, verbatim, the same announcement that she gave 3 minutes earlier after leaving Dallas, and yes, once again reprimanding those unruly children. Maybe this really is a recording, but I wonder: is there a setting on the room volume control that goes lower than "mute"?

Ok--done venting.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the next lower setting would be the "off" position.......
tongue.gif

Actually, I prefer brevity to humor. But you're right, this one sounds over-the-top obnoxious.

According to the The Manual, these are the announcements for LD trains:

Leaving major stations

Good (morning/afternoon/evening) ladies and gentlemen. My name is ___________ and I’m your Conductor (today/this evening). I’d like to welcome you aboard Amtrak train number (name), the (train name), bound for (final destination), with scheduled stops at (principal stops).

We would like to thank our passengers for helping us maintain (train name) as a smoke-free environment. For those passengers who wish to smoke, the following station stops (where and when) during your trip will allow you the opportunity for a smoke break.

[On Auto Train Only – The smoking area is located on the lower level of (coach number) which is located in front of the Café/Lounge Car.]

Your safety is important to us. Please observe the emergency exit and instruction signs located throughout the train. We also ask that you take a moment to review the safety instructions card in the seatback in front of you or in your Sleeping Car accommodation.

When moving about the train, hold on to the overhead luggage rack and the seatbacks for stability. When assing through the vestibules between cars, please use the handrails and when moving about the train, shoes must be worn at all times.

Amtrak requests that you assist us in providing for your safety and security. We ask you keep track of your possessions and do not leave them unattended. Your carry-on items can be stored in overhead or end-of-car luggage compartments. All luggage must be visibly tagged with your name and address. Please keep your luggage locked at all times.

The (train name) features two food service cars a full diner and a cafe/lounge. Both are located in the center of the train. Shortly, (LSA/Steward’s name), the Dining Car LSA/Steward, will be making an announcement regarding meal service. In our cafe/lounge, is a wide variety of sandwiches, snacks, beverages and Amtrak souvenirs.

At this time the Conductor will be coming through to inspect and collect your tickets. At the direction of the federal Transportation Security Administration, you may be asked to show valid photo identification to check against the name

written on the face of the ticket during the course of our ticket lift. Acceptable I.D. includes a drivers' license or valid passport. Please have this identification ready for inspection to expedite the process.

Passengers who purchased their ticket with a credit card must sign the upper left hand corner where it says "Sign Here" and present a valid photo ID to the Conductor(s). Please carry your ticket, receipt or seat check (located above your seat) with you as you move about the train.

If you have any questions or would like to report any suspicious activity during your trip, any uniformed Amtrak employee will be happy to assist you. Thank you for choosing Amtrak.
Arrivals:

Ladies and gentlemen, in 10 minutes we will be arriving in (location, with motorcoach connections to locations). Please check around your seat and the overhead luggage rack for your personal possessions. Red Caps will be on the platform to assist you with your luggage. For passengers with checked luggage, it takes approximately (number) minutes for your baggage to be available. You may pick up your checked luggage at (location in the station).

[When a Metropolitan Lounge or Club Acela is Available – Passengers holding First Class Sleeping Car accommodations are invited to relax in the (Metropolitan Lounge or Club Acela) while awaiting your connections. (Add taxi/phone/etc. information)]

Upon arrival in (location), not all doors will open. Please exit the train as directed by a member of the crew.

We ask that you watch your step when leaving the train.

Welcome to (location), and on behalf of our entire crew, thank you for choosing Amtrak.
Major station stops are on PDF page 628. Mostly what you'd expect, with some oddities. (Champagne? La Junta?)

According to the The Manual, these are the announcements for LD trains:

Leaving major stations

Good (morning/afternoon/evening) ladies and gentlemen. My name is ___________ and I'm your Conductor (today/this evening). I'd like to welcome you aboard Amtrak train number (name), the (train name), bound for (final destination), with scheduled stops at (principal stops).

We would like to thank our passengers for helping us maintain (train name) as a smoke-free environment. For those passengers who wish to smoke, the following station stops (where and when) during your trip will allow you the opportunity for a smoke break.

[On Auto Train Only – The smoking area is located on the lower level of (coach number) which is located in front of the Café/Lounge Car.]

Your safety is important to us. Please observe the emergency exit and instruction signs located throughout the train. We also ask that you take a moment to review the safety instructions card in the seatback in front of you or in your Sleeping Car accommodation.

When moving about the train, hold on to the overhead luggage rack and the seatbacks for stability. When assing through the vestibules between cars, please use the handrails and when moving about the train, shoes must be worn at all times.

Amtrak requests that you assist us in providing for your safety and security. We ask you keep track of your possessions and do not leave them unattended. Your carry-on items can be stored in overhead or end-of-car luggage compartments. All luggage must be visibly tagged with your name and address. Please keep your luggage locked at all times.

The (train name) features two food service cars a full diner and a cafe/lounge. Both are located in the center of the train. Shortly, (LSA/Steward's name), the Dining Car LSA/Steward, will be making an announcement regarding meal service. In our cafe/lounge, is a wide variety of sandwiches, snacks, beverages and Amtrak souvenirs.

At this time the Conductor will be coming through to inspect and collect your tickets. At the direction of the federal Transportation Security Administration, you may be asked to show valid photo identification to check against the name

written on the face of the ticket during the course of our ticket lift. Acceptable I.D. includes a drivers' license or valid passport. Please have this identification ready for inspection to expedite the process.

Passengers who purchased their ticket with a credit card must sign the upper left hand corner where it says "Sign Here" and present a valid photo ID to the Conductor(s). Please carry your ticket, receipt or seat check (located above your seat) with you as you move about the train.

If you have any questions or would like to report any suspicious activity during your trip, any uniformed Amtrak employee will be happy to assist you. Thank you for choosing Amtrak.
Arrivals:

Ladies and gentlemen, in 10 minutes we will be arriving in (location, with motorcoach connections to locations). Please check around your seat and the overhead luggage rack for your personal possessions. Red Caps will be on the platform to assist you with your luggage. For passengers with checked luggage, it takes approximately (number) minutes for your baggage to be available. You may pick up your checked luggage at (location in the station).

[When a Metropolitan Lounge or Club Acela is Available – Passengers holding First Class Sleeping Car accommodations are invited to relax in the (Metropolitan Lounge or Club Acela) while awaiting your connections. (Add taxi/phone/etc. information)]

Upon arrival in (location), not all doors will open. Please exit the train as directed by a member of the crew.

We ask that you watch your step when leaving the train.

Welcome to (location), and on behalf of our entire crew, thank you for choosing Amtrak.
Major station stops are on PDF page 628. Mostly what you'd expect, with some oddities. (Champagne? La Junta?)
Interesting; not one word in that document about ordering parents and kids around, and that's almost her entire dialogue. I wonder if she's just the W.C. Fields of train conductors? She definitely sounds as though she's on a power trip of some sort.

I really think that you talk to the parents of kids in question if they get out of hand, not bombard an entire train with the same repetitive announcement over and over. Worse, I think it's bad business to make kids feel as though they're unwelcome and basically a nuisance to be controlled when they're aboard a train. If we don't do a good job of cultivating kids and their parents as rail fans, Amtrak may not exist for too many more generations down the line.

Every single stop, she gives the same exact announcement: Children must be accompanied by an adult to the bathrooms. They must not play, stand, or run in the aisles. Children must be seated at all times. Children must be accompanied to the lounge car. And on, and on, and on, all delivered in the same stern voice.

We're talking every stop--same refrain. I know that she has a job to do, but does she have to sound so strident and joyless? Talk to the parents of the kids in question if there's a problem; the rest of us really don't need the same speech delivered after every single stop. I don't think I've ever heard an Amtrak conductor with less personality; most at least try to appear like they're enjoying their job and do something besides recite rules over the PA. The best ones actually use humor to get their point across on the PA; we just had a Dining Car Attendant on the Sunset Limited who could have done stand-up on The Tonight Show, and believe me, that approach is much preferred by most passengers.

Oh Good Lord; she just repeated, verbatim, the same announcement that she gave 3 minutes earlier after leaving Dallas, and yes, once again reprimanding those unruly children. Maybe this really is a recording, but I wonder: is there a setting on the room volume control that goes lower than "mute"?

Ok--done venting.
If you were on the 21 Eagle Monday 8 AUG coming into FTW, I know EXACTLY which Conductor you are talking about. She is probably one of the worst Amtrak employees I have dealt with. Shortly after leaving Longview, she arrived in my Roomette demanding to see my ticket paperwork. When I showed her the stub, she demanded to know who I gave the ticket to, claiming she couldn't find it along with another ticket from another pax. Right then, the Attendant came out of her room and told the Conductor (she was actually the AC) she lifted the ticket and gave it to the Conductor on duty at the time and she needs to go back and check the Pouch again. By now, realizing I wasn't phased in the least by her attitude, she calmed down and thanked me for my cooperation, then headed off.

After we left Dallas, she came back to get my name for the Heartland Flyer Alternate Transportation and was in a much better mode, admitting she was anxious to get home. At that point, I could have dressed her down and given her a few lessons in proper passenger relations but decided best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

Her radio attitude wasn't much better as I quickly picked up on the scanner her being terse with the Conductor, Engineer and even Omaha. And you don't want to cork off the boys and girls in Omaha.

Ok--done venting.
If you were on the 21 Eagle Monday 8 AUG coming into FTW, I know EXACTLY which Conductor you are talking about. She is probably one of the worst Amtrak employees I have dealt with. Shortly after leaving Longview, she arrived in my Roomette demanding to see my ticket paperwork. When I showed her the stub, she demanded to know who I gave the ticket to, claiming she couldn't find it along with another ticket from another pax. Right then, the Attendant came out of her room and told the Conductor (she was actually the AC) she lifted the ticket and gave it to the Conductor on duty at the time and she needs to go back and check the Pouch again. By now, realizing I wasn't phased in the least by her attitude, she calmed down and thanked me for my cooperation, then headed off.

After we left Dallas, she came back to get my name for the Heartland Flyer Alternate Transportation and was in a much better mode, admitting she was anxious to get home. At that point, I could have dressed her down and given her a few lessons in proper passenger relations but decided best to leave sleeping dogs lie.

Her radio attitude wasn't much better as I quickly picked up on the scanner her being terse with the Conductor, Engineer and even Omaha. And you don't want to cork off the boys and girls in Omaha.
Yep, we were on the same train, and that's the very same person. Sounds like she really spreads the joy around!

I've encountered SCA's who I knew were overworked and, although their performance wasn't the best, I still cut them slack and went out of my way to be friendly. The person you and I are talking about doesn't fit that category, though; she's just brutal to listen to and (apparently) deal with.

Totally agree with the previous Poster! Ive ridden the Eagle perhaps 200 times (my home Train/you can't get there without riding it! :help: ^_^ )and I also know exactly who the OP is referring to, she's THE WORST Conductor (well AC actually!) I've had on any Route and Ive seen some doozies in my day! :rolleyes: Lots of people "phone it in" @ work but in the Customer Service Area people like this need to get another field! :excl: :excl: :excl:

I predict that if enough complaints come in on her she will not become a Full Conductor!!! :help:

If you saw a Longhair wearing a Red Beret and a C&O "Peake" Shirt, that was me :) Hopefully you got into the Diner as Lucious the LSA and his Server did a great job. When Lucious came by my Roomette just before DFW asking if I wanted Dinner and I said I was getting off in FTW, he shook my hand and thanked me for eating in the Diner. And I told him job well done!

You should have been with us at Gathering number 3 in LA. On our trip back from San Diego we had a conductor who insisted on harping on parties of 4 sitting in seats for parties of 4. I think we were all pretty tired of his screaming into the PA at each stop the same message.

If you saw a Longhair wearing a Red Beret and a C&O "Peake" Shirt, that was me :) Hopefully you got into the Diner as Lucious the LSA and his Server did a great job. When Lucious came by my Roomette just before DFW asking if I wanted Dinner and I said I was getting off in FTW, he shook my hand and thanked me for eating in the Diner. And I told him job well done!

We probably passed each other at some point; I remember feeling overwhelming relief that the FTW station had a Subway and pretty much blocking out everything else in my mad dash to get through the long line before the all-aboard call!
rolleyes.gif

And I agree: Lucious did a really good job.

This is why all these announcements should be recorded. Just like Mc Donald's you know exactly what you're going to get no matter which train you board. Consistency is a key to success.

Rather than record her announcement re children and families I think she should skip it. On the Capitol Limited my husband attempted to allow our 3 year old to go ahead of him out of our sleeper car into the next car toward the diner. The conductor stepped in front of the child and said something like 'whoa there buddy, let's wait for daddy,' and when daddy caught up a second or two later, he got told in no uncertain terms about the safety issues of letting a child enter the space between cars without an adult right there holding his hand. Point is, the Conductor dealt with the offending parent on the spot and did not feel the need to then start annoying hundreds of innocent passengers with constant reprimands for unruly children and lazy parents. (When I next saw that Conductor, I shook his hand and thanked him.)

Back in the days of train chiefs there was one aboard Nos. 5/6 who was friendly and personable enough, but quite a foamer at heart -- a rarity among Amtrak crew. Not only all across the Hill and through Colorado did he issue the most detailed historical minutiae over the PA about trackside sights, but also across Illinois and into the approaches to Chicago Union Station. Even my sleeper attendants would tell me, as they rolled their eyes, that I was lucky I am profoundly deaf. I often wonder what happened to that guy.

This is why all these announcements should be recorded. Just like Mc Donald's you know exactly what you're going to get no matter which train you board. Consistency is a key to success.
I'd say the personal touch is fine when it comes to announcements on Amtrak, but not when the conductor makes it more of an impersonal touch, as what appears to have happened here.

(By the way, "Mr. Announcer" was the name I used on a couple of radio shows I did in college.)

Ok--done venting.
She may be overdoing it and it may get annoying........but I for one am glad SOMEONE is addressing this issue. Out of control kids running rampant through the train are the REAL annoyance. One thing they like to do is throw stuff in the toilets until they stop up and overflow. Good for her.

Oh yeah this AC youre talking about ive seen on numerous occasions and even on monday in Longview. She may have been mad cause yall had to sit in Longview for so long that day!! If shes on the train and im in the lounge she stares down my scanner like its a weapon but doesnt say nothing so doesnt bother me. Not always the best like yall said on the radio either, i just laugh it off.

I first noticed her in Longview as well where she had her rear end parked at the picnic table on the platform and was fuming about the delay. She saw my scanner as well and asked what I was hearing and I said Omaha trying to clear a backlog. She replied all she's worried about is hearing her signals and clearances and doesn't worry about the rest. This was before the confrontation over my ticketing and I could already tell she was a big time sourpuss.

I'm left wondering...if one of y'all (the ones of us with scanners) caught a conductor being particularly smart/sassy/rude with the dispatchers in Omaha (or with NS's people...or, for good or ill, UP, CSX, or CN's people) over the scanners, what would be the proper thing to do? That seems like a surreal complaint to file...though I suppose having simply overheard the chatter somehow might be plausible.

Well, since they are talking to another human, it would seem that that other human would be the one to lodge a complaint if they felt so inclined. Not my place to discipline or rebuke any conversation between two adults with whom I have no business with.

It's sort of like calling the cops as you pass by a house and you hear two people arguing inside. Not your place unless someone is getting hurt. Maybe a case if they are outside, but even then, it's questionable as presumably they can call for their own help.

Now, if they are cussing in public and in your presence, you have the right to report them. If they are cussing on the radio, plenty of other folks are in a much better position to lodge a complaint. Just because you happen to be listening in on their conversation doesn't put you in their presence.

You want to know what makes other train companies like VIA so much better than Amtrak?

It's the little things. Like not abusing the PA system the way Amtrak staff routinely do.

Amtrak, the whole entire train doesn't need to hear your boarding message after every stop.

Amtrak, the whole entire train doesn't need to hear that the snack car lackey is returning from his third break.

Amtrak, the whole entire train doesn't need to hear that it's time for the five folks with 6:30 reservations to gorge themselves stupid.

Seriously, what is Amtrak's problem with their nearly constant interruptions?

The train-wide PA system should only be used when every last person on the train needs to hear something.

You know, like when there is a major disruption or emergency or something.

The obese family that is so snack happy they need to know what the snack car clerk is doing RIGHT THIS SECOND are already waiting in line.

The five folks with quickly approaching reservations already have a reservations slip spelling out when to arrive.

Instead of using the train-wide PA like a freaking town crier constantly reminding clueless folks what time it is I wish Amtrak would just shut up and let us all have some relaxing peace and quiet for once.

The five folks with quickly approaching reservations already have a reservations slip spelling out when to arrive.
Except that the diner may have fallen behind schedule, which is why they don't want those 5 folks just coming up to the diner where there is no place for them to wait until their tables are actually ready.

Which is why they make announcements. Of course there are those that still don't listen and still show up at the appointed time even though the diner isn't ready for them, despite being told to wait for the announcement. :eek:

Amtrak, the whole entire train doesn't need to hear that the snack car lackey is returning from his third break.

The obese family that is so snack happy they need to know what the snack car clerk is doing RIGHT THIS SECOND are already waiting in line.

I'm not obese but I would like to know if no one is going to be in the snack bar if I want a Pepsi and M&M's.

Except that the diner may have fallen behind schedule, which is why they don't want those 5 folks just coming up to the diner where there is no place for them to wait until their tables are actually ready.
Instead of alerting the entire train to this rather routine situation they could simply notify the five people who actually need to know. Or just get those folks seated and let them mull over their options for an extra five minutes. No big deal. Sometimes every last seat in the diner is completely full but that's pretty rare on the trains I ride which include the Eagle. If things are really getting bad then let the slowest table that's sat around the longest know that it's time to get moving.

Which is why they make announcements. Of course there are those that still don't listen and still show up at the appointed time even though the diner isn't ready for them, despite being told to wait for the announcement.
There is no need for everyone on the entire train to be notified that five more people will now be accepted in the diner. No reason at all. If the diner is running five or ten minutes late I'm sure the people showing up will understand. Most restaurants are off by a few minutes so it's not exactly mind-blowing that Amtrak may be off a bit as well. If Amtrak is so spooked about people showing up early or late then maybe they should put an electronic sign up in the lounge showing who they're ready for. Heck, they could put one in each car if they really wanted to. Or simply hand out silent pagers like thousands of other restaurants do. On VIA they simply go through the set of cars that are tied to a specific diner and notify their passengers in person. There are any number of ways to deal with this that don't require constantly addressing the entire train to let a tiny minority know that their table is ready.

----------

I'm not obese but I would like to know if no one is going to be in the snack bar if I want a Pepsi and M&M's.
The absolute longest you'd have to wait during the day would be an hour or so. They could simply post the schedule in each car or put them in your seat back pocket or whatever. Maybe put in a vending machine for folks who simply can't wait that long for their next snacking opportunity. I'm sure there are other possibilities as well. On VIA you could presumably have to walk through as many as twenty passenger cars to reach the one and only Park Car and yet VIA doesn't insist on constantly interrupting everyone's trip on the whole train in order to update a handful of interested parties on the schedule of one single car's attendant.

----------

I wonder how you would address the boarding message to only those people that need to hear it.
It's the same basic message. They can simply put it on a card in a seat back pocket. At staffed stations they could have the station attendant do it. Or they could have whoever is taking the tickets give the message in person before they start their collecting. If Amtrak had personal video players like many of their competitors do they could put their boarding message on the welcome screen. I'm sure there are other ways to do this as well without having to bother the whole entire train with it over and over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back