Texas Eagle Consist LA-Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MontanaJim

Service Attendant
All-

do they still run the through LAX-CHI sleeper on the back of the train both from LA to San antonio and then san antonio to chicago? Im debating whether to take the eagle or southwest chief back to chicago from la. I prefer sleepers on the rears of train because its quieter and you can also look out the back. the chief runs the sleepers on the front, or at least they did last year when i rode it.

But remember that the 421/422 sleeper is at the back of the train, the 1/2/21/22 sleeper(s) and Dining Car/CCC are at the front of the train. This means uou have walk thru almost the whole train for meals!
excl.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
thank you both. i dont mind the walk, i could use the exercise when im on long train rides like that. And being in the back, away from engine noise, and being able to look out the back window are big pluses for me. Jim

thank you both. i dont mind the walk, i could use the exercise when im on long train rides like that. And being in the back, away from engine noise, and being able to look out the back window are big pluses for me. Jim
Be aware that sometimes they latch an extra coach onto that rear sleeper for at least part of the trip. The TE run I took this weekend (BNL to MIN) had a coach attached to the rear sleeper as far as STL. And going the other direction, they often add a coach at STL. (However, the Illinois stretch is not that scenic - mostly cornfields (dried up cornfields this year) - so losing the rear window access might not be that big of a deal)

Be aware that sometimes they latch an extra coach onto that rear sleeper for at least part of the trip. The TE run I took this weekend (BNL to MIN) had a coach attached to the rear sleeper as far as STL. And going the other direction, they often add a coach at STL. (However, the Illinois stretch is not that scenic - mostly cornfields (dried up cornfields this year) - so losing the rear window access might not be that big of a deal)
If the last car is a coach, then he still dosen't lose rear window access, it's just harder (longer walk). Coach passengers will come through his car though, which shouldn't be too big a problem.

I'm taking the Texas Eagle from LAX to CHI in early October and am really looking forward to it. I'd made the trip from CHI to LAX last fall.

Question: Since the train leaves Los Angeles at 10 p.m., will the SCA have made up all the beds by that time?

All-

do they still run the through LAX-CHI sleeper on the back of the train both from LA to San antonio and then san antonio to chicago? Im debating whether to take the eagle or southwest chief back to chicago from la. I prefer sleepers on the rears of train because its quieter and you can also look out the back. the chief runs the sleepers on the front, or at least they did last year when i rode it.

The SWC (3/4) run sleepers on the front. When I rode it in April, the TE ran its coach then sleeper on the rear from LAX>SAS.

I'm taking the Texas Eagle from LAX to CHI in early October and am really looking forward to it. I'd made the trip from CHI to LAX last fall.

Question: Since the train leaves Los Angeles at 10 p.m., will the SCA have made up all the beds by that time?
Im not 100% sure, but my experience getting on the train about that time of day tells me that the beds will be down and ready for sleeping. Jim

Im not 100% sure, but my experience getting on the train about that time of day tells me that the beds will be down and ready for sleeping. Jim
Thanks, Jim. When traveling alone in a roomette, I'll usually sleep in the upper berth so I can sit up occasionally during the night and watch the scenery. I'm guessing the lower bed probably will be made up. Guess I could just go to the SSL to watch late-night scenery.

Thanks, Jim. When traveling alone in a roomette, I'll usually sleep in the upper berth so I can sit up occasionally during the night and watch the scenery. I'm guessing the lower bed probably will be made up. Guess I could just go to the SSL to watch late-night scenery.
I would think if you wanted to watch scenery at night on the Superliners then you would be on the bottom...

I would think if you wanted to watch scenery at night on the Superliners then you would be on the bottom...
Oops. I phrased that badly. What I meant to say is that I sleep in the upper berth, but leave the lower configured as seats so I can climb down and sit and watch the scenery. I've tried sitting up on the lower-berth bed to look out the window, I'm too old to tolerate sitting cross-legged on the mattress for long! :giggle:

What I do sometimes, I push one seat back to seating position and fold the mattress up on the other seat. Then you can sit and put your feet up on the other seat.

What I do sometimes, I push one seat back to seating position and fold the mattress up on the other seat. Then you can sit and put your feet up on the other seat.
Great idea, Printman2000! Thanks for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back