Texas Eagles #22

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
AU Supporting Member
Per Amtrak.com and after talking with AGR and Amtrak Agents there will be No Eagles running to CHI from Texas until At Least Sat. 5/07 and thats if the Current Rain moving up the Pipeline to the MidWest from Texas and Oklahoma Moves out Soon and the Flooding goes down all over the Mid-West/Southeast/Ohio Valley!

Much as I Dislike it had to revise my Wed trip to CHI from AUS on TE #22 to a F***** :( (4 Letter word for going up in the Air in as Metal Coffin)to MKA, then take the Cardinal from CHI-BAL/WAS for NTD! Anyone with a Rez on these Trains would be Wise to Check into Alternate Transportation while the getting is Good! This has Become a Very Popular Route in the Past Few Months! :excl: :excl: :excl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Gee, I wonder if the SAS turn will get any cleaning Jim? And just maybe the City will see a broom or two in Chicago. Stanger things have happened. :blush:

Does Dan Stephens still work at the Temple train station? He was a good guy, Amtrak should have cloned him. The old stories Sante Fe stories he would tell me makes one wish it was the 60s all over again.

Stinks they are having to bustitute between FTW and STL.

We're scheduled to be on the Texas Eagle in Mid June :D ....Just wondering WHAT the possibilities of cancellations during the month of June :eek: ...I know the current situation of flooding should well be gone by then but since Amtrak travel is new to me, just trying to better understand what my options will be IF the TE is cancelled on my trip. :help: From what I have read that others have posted I may not be traveling by Amtrak :(

Somebody cleans the train in SAS during the night. I have ridden the Eagle many times and #22 out of SAS is always clean. On #21 south of AUS the crew does a lot, emptying trash, putting up the footrests so vacuuming is easier, etc. I have even seen the conductor do this.

Does Dan Stephens still work at the Temple train station? He was a good guy, Amtrak should have cloned him. The old stories Sante Fe stories he would tell me makes one wish it was the 60s all over again.

Stinks they are having to bustitute between FTW and STL.
Dan is Retired now, you are Correct, he was One of the Good Guys! Whenever the New Agent (shes a Female but dont know her name?) in Temple cant Work one of the Austin Agents Drives Up and works the Station!( BTW-Cliff, one of the Great Austin Agents will be Retiring at the end of the Summer, he says He and his Wife are going to Travel including riding on Amtrak! ^_^ )

As to the Poster Inquiring about the Eagles OTP in the Summer: Shouldnt be a Problem at all, Except for the Flooding in the Hills of AK and MO,(a Spring Occurance) the Eagles are Very Dependable !

And Jay, hope you're right about the Cleaning Crews, lately the Eagles Do seem to be in better Shape, even get better Equipment sometimes! ^_^

We're scheduled to be on the Texas Eagle in Mid June :D ....Just wondering WHAT the possibilities of cancellations during the month of June :eek: ...I know the current situation of flooding should well be gone by then but since Amtrak travel is new to me, just trying to better understand what my options will be IF the TE is cancelled on my trip. :help: From what I have read that others have posted I may not be traveling by Amtrak :(
OKAY so I got the bright idea just to check and see if the SWC has roomettes available for the same time frame.... WOO HOO :wub: thank you very much ELIZABETH... we are now on the SWC (where we wanted to be from the beginning) and have a ROOMETTE which originally were SOLD OUT back when I originally made my reservations. Getting to San Diego a day earlier too ... Now MY QUESTION: Roomette 20 on the SWC... Looked at the floor plan link here and EITHER I am BLIND :cool: OR There is NOT A NUMBER 20 shown.... DID I MISS IT??? Can anyone tell me where it would be located???? THANKS AGAIN

Now MY QUESTION: Roomette 20 on the SWC... Looked at the floor plan link here and EITHER I am BLIND :cool: OR There is NOT A NUMBER 20 shown.... DID I MISS IT??? Can anyone tell me where it would be located???? THANKS AGAIN

It is in the Transdorm car which is next to the baggage car on the train. Upper level. The crew also uses that car.

Now MY QUESTION: Roomette 20 on the SWC... Looked at the floor plan link here and EITHER I am BLIND :cool: OR There is NOT A NUMBER 20 shown.... DID I MISS IT??? Can anyone tell me where it would be located???? THANKS AGAIN

It is in the Transdorm car which is next to the baggage car on the train. Upper level. The crew also uses that car.

Thanks for the information.... IS that GOOD OR BAD??? Since this is MY FIRST EVER Amtrak Trip.

Any chance Amtrak would re-instate the TE on 5/6 if for some reason the water goes down? Do they ever do this?

(engineers opened the floodway near Cairo, IL on 5/2, which should help the flood levels)

Thanks for the information.... IS that GOOD OR BAD??? Since this is MY FIRST EVER Amtrak Trip.
That depends on your point of view. You'll hear the horn from the engines a bit more in the Trans/Dorm, but you'll have far less people walking by your room in that car and the shower is far less likely to be occupied when you want to use it.

Here's a diagram of what the upper level of the car looks like and where your room will be.

Any chance Amtrak would re-instate the TE on 5/6 if for some reason the water goes down? Do they ever do this?

(engineers opened the floodway near Cairo, IL on 5/2, which should help the flood levels)
If Amtrak has called everyone and cancelled/rebooked them on other trains, why would they want to run an empty train? Short of needing to balance equipment, and I don't believe that they need to do that in this case, there is no reason to spend money running an empty train.

I sorta wish they still ran the Texas Eagle... or atleast a stub-train from Chicago to St Louis. I know there are the Lincoln Service trains, but there is no mid-day Lincoln Service. You have one that leaves at 9:25am and the next one doesn't leave until 5PM and gets into STL after 10PM. My guess is Amtrak did consider this and probably would have done a stub-train, except for the fact because of track work you have the detour over the CE&I this week... and there probably arent enough people just wanting to go CHI-STL direct to make it worth the while.

Hope the flooding goes down by May 17th... planning to head to STL on #421.

UPDATE; The Austin Agent just told me while I was Picking up my Tickets for my Trip to WAS for NTD (Revised itenerary- I'll be Flying (4 Letter Word!) from AUS-PNX-MKE, then taking the Hiawatha to CHI/Cardinal to BAL/Regionals to WAS/Various Point Runs to/from WAS/BWI/BAL0 then Returning on the CL and TE on Sun 5/08.)

#22 is Running Daily from San Antonio to Texarkana, Turning and Returning as #21 Until Friday 5/06. IF the Flooding has Gone Down by Sat.5/07, NTD, and the Mighty UP Dispatchers Decide to let Amtrak Run, Full SAS-CHI-SAS (#21/#421/#22/#422) Service will Resume then???

I just got a call from Amtrak tonight saying they had an important message concerning my TE trip this Saturday from STL to CHI. When I connected to an agent, she looked up the reservation and said the important message was that my train would be running as scheduled and on the original reservation. Last night the #22 and #422 train was showing up as sold out on Amtrak but today shows up as bookable. Considering all this, it looks somewhat promising for a Saturday run.

I was booked on the Friday 5/6 Eagle from Chicago to St Louis and was originally told it was cancelled.

I just received word this train is now on as scheduled (as well as Thursday and Fridays trains)

Not sure if it continues all the way past STL to the south, etc.

I also looked on the website and you can book trains for these days (previously it was 'sold out')

I just got a call from Amtrak tonight saying they had an important message concerning my TE trip this Saturday from STL to CHI. When I connected to an agent, she looked up the reservation and said the important message was that my train would be running as scheduled and on the original reservation. Last night the #22 and #422 train was showing up as sold out on Amtrak but today shows up as bookable. Considering all this, it looks somewhat promising for a Saturday run.
Good news! May the waters continue to go down in the flooded areas. (And not just for those of us with Amtrak trips planned! I admit I felt very selfish worrying about whether the train would be running by the 16th when a friend showed me photos of her hometown - Noel, MO - totally under water)

THANKS to jimhudson, ScottP and Guest_Bob for update information on the #21/#22 Texas Eagles for this weekend. If the sunshine holds, drying out the Midwest, I'll be on the #22 on Saturday (May 7), arriving in Chicago on Sunday afternoon -- a day late for the NTD festivities! Here in Houston we don't even remember what a raindrop looks like, but between that and the flood pictures I've seen of Arkansas/Missouri/Illinois, a drought is definitely preferable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back