The Great Blizzard of 2011

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took the dog out a bit ago to do his thing, the wind has died down a little, but still blowing pretty good though. By the way, Eddie didn't mess around much time. He got it over quick.
I hope Eddie is the dog!
mosking.gif
mosking.gif
mosking.gif
Here is Eddie Traveler. http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g331/partyman97_3/EddieSmall.jpg

NEC Amtrak service between New York and Philadelphia is suspended this morning due to power problems. NJTransit service on NEC and NJCL are running upto an hour behind schedule. This suggests that the problem is south/west of Trenton possibly, with spillover effects north of Trenton.

In Chicago, LSD is closed and hundreds of cars and some CTA buses are still stranded. This is my main route to and from work. I made it home after a 2 hour commute but that was no big deal compared to some who spent the night in the car on LSD.

I've been on Amtrak status maps, and 59 left chicago but is not experiencing a service disruption. 58 left Fulton just a few minutes late, and it is now experiencing a service disruption. The Illini which left Carbondale last night at 4 p.m still has not made it to Chicago. 5 left late and lost more time and after being about 5 hours late in Iowa, suffered a service disruption.

48 left around 2 a.m. this morning, and is not making its way across Indiana. 29 , 30 and 49 are all running late but appear to be OK. It will be interesting to see how 29 and 49 do coming into Chicago.

Service has been restored between New York and Philadelphia on Amtrak with residual delays of 30mins to an hour. NJT continues to run with delays upto an hour. The ice is apparently doing a job all around.

I took the dog out a bit ago to do his thing, the wind has died down a little, but still blowing pretty good though. By the way, Eddie didn't mess around much time. He got it over quick.
I hope Eddie is the dog!
mosking.gif
mosking.gif
mosking.gif
Here is Eddie Traveler. http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g331/partyman97_3/EddieSmall.jpg
Eddie looks so tiny! Did you have to shovel a way out for him? Here, about 6 miles outside of Woodstock, IL, we couldn't get out the doors on either the east or west side this morning. Had to open the garage door and shovel about 1/2 foot to get to the first drift. This looks as bad as the Chicago Blizzard of 67. Our TV is out - dish must be packed in.

I hope Eddie is the dog!
mosking.gif
mosking.gif
mosking.gif
Here is Eddie Traveler. http://i1096.photobu.../EddieSmall.jpg
Eddie looks so tiny! Did you have to shovel a way out for him? Here, about 6 miles outside of Woodstock, IL, we couldn't get out the doors on either the east or west side this morning. Had to open the garage door and shovel about 1/2 foot to get to the first drift. This looks as bad as the Chicago Blizzard of 67. Our TV is out - dish must be packed in.
Not so Tiny, he is all of 6 pounds. Yes, I sure did have to shovel a place for him to go. Several times last night and again this morning.

5 left late and lost more time and after being about 5 hours late in Iowa, suffered a service disruption.
It's my understanding, #5 is sitting in Ottumwa until this morning because the crew expired or was about to expire. A relief crew couldn't be brought in because of poor travel conditions.

So far I have heard numbers of flights cancelled from 4000 to 6000 depending on which network you listen too. Amtrak so far has had few cancellations. A few trains are running late. How does it look in your area?
CZ 5 cancelled 2/2/11

EB 8 of 1/31 went from 3 hours and 23 minutes late in Havre to 13 hours and 7 minutes late in Glascow.

EB 7 of 2/1 now 9 hours and 18 minutes late in GFK. CS connections look like toast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Service has been restored between New York and Philadelphia on Amtrak with residual delays of 30mins to an hour. NJT continues to run with delays upto an hour. The ice is apparently doing a job all around.
According to NJT and Amtrak, service is suspended on the NEC at this time: 8:56am EST.

Many Chicago Metra lines completely closed. Now that it's daylight here, in McHenry County northwest of Chicago, it's no longer exciting. It looks downright worrisome with snow being about 3 feet and the drifts 4 feet on up. Still have power and the roof is holding for now.

Edit: Several Amtrak cancelations today out of Chicago. CONO going only as far north as Carbondale, IL.

Amtrak now says:

Extensive Delays Between New York and Philadelphia Due to Earlier Power and Signal Problems in New JerseyPassengers can expect 30 - 45 minute delays

February 2, 2011

9:15 a.m. EST

Amtrak Northeast Corridor service between New York and Philadelphia is subject to residual congestion related delays of 30 - 45 minutes due to intermittent power and signal problems between Philadelphia and New York.

Crews are working to resolve the problem and additional updates will be provided as necessary.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.
Currently (10:40am) things appear to be running OK with an Amtrak train having departed TRE more or less on time and an Acela also in the section more or less on time and 2154 arrived NY 25 mins late and 130 10 mins late. It is clear though that there was a bit of a problem earlier since 2150 and 170 are running almost 1.5hors late. But they also did get through when the blockage lifted.

#50 eastbound Cardinal arr. in Indianapolis nearly 9 hours late and Amtrak.com status board shows it leaving there over 12 hours late!!!

What a lucky break if you were on this train and had a sleeper :D and not travelling by coach, what a long haul it would be!!! :ph34r:

I was on the 8 yesterday that went into MKE last night 4 hours late. That was remarkable considering the weather conditions. We lost 2 hours around hillsboro between GFK and FAR due to track problems with the cold and waiting for 7 to pass through. Got caught behind a few freights arond MSP and Columbus. We ended up with a complimentary beef stew and rice dinner with a roll and coffee in the dining car. We also had a awesome coach car attendant. Considering what 8 went through yesterday, that is absolutely remarkable!!

It's my understanding, #5 is sitting in Ottumwa until this morning because the crew expired or was about to expire. A relief crew couldn't be brought in because of poor travel conditions.
UPDATE: After "spending the night" in Ottumwa, #5(1) is on the move again. Departed Ottumwa at 10:25 am - 15 hours 32 minutes late!

Nearly all service out of CHI is canceled today.

No Hiawatha service. 3/5/7 canceled. Most St. Louis service looks canceled. Quincy trains canceled.

Wolverine service looks to be running today.

Well I escaped Detroit yesterday afternoon and flew to Appleton, then a non-revenue flight down to Raleigh, where I'm at now. Today I was suppose to operate back to DTW and end up in MDW tonight but all of that cancelled so I get to spend another night in Raleigh. What a great chance to go ride the Piedmont! So I'm typing this aboard no. 75. I'm going to Greensboro then coming back on 74. Nice day here in NC! These NC cars are really nice too.

What has happened to Southwest Chief EB # 4 that left LA on 2/1. A passenger on board says it was terminated at ABQ. They are going to CHI. How is Amtrak going to get them there. Amtrak shows a service disruption.

Latest from Amtrak for the Chicago Hub:

MID-MORNING UPDATE: Midwest Amtrak Service Changes due to Winter Storm

Passengers urged to check local road conditions and specific train status before venturing out today

February 2, 2011

10:30 a.m. CST

Amtrak passengers wishing to travel today in the Midwest should check street and highway conditions and specific train status before attempting to travel to stations on routes to and from Chicago, Carbondale, Detroit/Grand Rapids/Port Huron, Indianapolis, Kansas City/Omaha, Milwaukee, Quincy, St. Louis, St. Paul and Toledo/Cleveland.

Amtrak train status is available under the "Status" tab on Amtrak.com and by calling 800-USA-RAIL.

Another update is planned by mid-afternoon.

Weather-related issues, including infrastructure and equipment, availability of crews and local services, have led to the following service changes.

For Chicago Hub trains originating today, the following are canceled:

Chicago-St. Louis Lincoln Service: Trains 300, 301 & 303

Chicago-Milwaukee Hiawatha Service: all trains canceled

Port Huron-Chicago Blue Water:Train 365

Chicago-Quincy Illinois Zephyr & Carl Sandburg: all trains canceled

Chicago-Carbondale Saluki: Trains 390 & 391

Other Amtrak services:

New Orleans-Chicago City of New Orleans: Trains 58 & Train 59 that was to originate today will operate only between New Orleans and Carbondale.

Chicago-Kansas City-Los Angeles Southwest Chief: Train 3 that was to originate today will not operate.

Chicago-Denver-Reno-Emeryville California Zephyr, Train 5 that was to originate today, will not operate.

Chicago-St. Paul-Seattle/Portland Empire Builder: Train 7/27 that was to originate today will not operate.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

Many Chicago Metra lines completely closed. Now that it's daylight here, in McHenry County northwest of Chicago, it's no longer exciting. It looks downright worrisome with snow being about 3 feet and the drifts 4 feet on up. Still have power and the roof is holding for now.

Edit: Several Amtrak cancelations today out of Chicago. CONO going only as far north as Carbondale, IL.
Looks like Metra is running on a Sunday schedule.

This is a load of total bullcrap. In the mid 60s, the Broadway and 20th Century would not only depart in the worst of weather, but arrive at their destination ON TIME or heads would roll.

Now, NJT can't run trains through New Jersey on what turned out to be a 40° with some mild rain. Because people talked about ice, apparently. Which didn't happen. You can bet they are going to get a piece of my mind about this and other items at the March board meeting!

I can't imagine what the Spring Floods are gonna bring!!!! :unsure: :blink: :eek:hboy:
That depends more on the amount of snowmelt in the upper Midwest (ND, SD, MN, etc.) and not on the amount of snow in the lower states like IL, IA, NE, MO, etc. This storm pretty much spared the upper Midwest.

So far I have heard numbers of flights cancelled from 4000 to 6000 depending on which network you listen too. Amtrak so far has had few cancellations. A few trains are running late. How does it look in your area?
Any idea why the 2/2/11 8 and 28 out of SEA and PDX were cancelled? I get it about 7/27, but both Northwest originating trains?

This is a load of total bullcrap. In the mid 60s, the Broadway and 20th Century would not only depart in the worst of weather, but arrive at their destination ON TIME or heads would roll.
Yeah...right.
I've always heard during the halcyon days of the 20th Century Limited the President of the New York Central would pick up his phone and demand answers if the Century didn't pass his office window the EXACT minute it was supposed to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back