The Great Blizzard of 2011

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine what the Spring Floods are gonna bring!!!! :unsure: :blink: :eek:hboy:
My guess is WATER!
laugh.gif
(Do I win?
huh.gif
)

So far I have heard numbers of flights cancelled from 4000 to 6000 depending on which network you listen too. Amtrak so far has had few cancellations. A few trains are running late. How does it look in your area?
Any idea why the 2/2/11 8 and 28 out of SEA and PDX were cancelled? I get it about 7/27, but both Northwest originating trains?
Currently both trains #8/28(31), 13 hrs late & (1), 2 hrs late, are going to be lucky to get into Chicago. CP has said they'll get them there. I don't know this first hand, but I imagine they asked Amtrak not to send another train into the blizzard. Alternate transportation is being provided as far as Whitefish, MT.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far I have heard numbers of flights cancelled from 4000 to 6000 depending on which network you listen too. Amtrak so far has had few cancellations. A few trains are running late. How does it look in your area?
Any idea why the 2/2/11 8 and 28 out of SEA and PDX were cancelled? I get it about 7/27, but both Northwest originating trains?
Currently both trains #8/28(31), 13 hrs late & (1), 2 hrs late, are going to be lucky to get into Chicago. CP has said they'll get them there. I don't know this first hand, but I imagine they asked Amtrak not to send another train into the blizzard. Alternate transportation is being provided as far as Whitefish, MT.
WOW... a bus from Chicago to Montana... I think I'd rather work than do that!!! :eek:hboy:

WOW... a bus from Chicago to Montana... I think I'd rather work than do that!!! :eek:hboy:
HA! OMG, that was funny. I guess I should have been more clear. There is alternate transportation SEA-WFH / PDX-WFH.

This is a load of total bullcrap. In the mid 60s, the Broadway and 20th Century would not only depart in the worst of weather, but arrive at their destination ON TIME or heads would roll.
Yeah...right.
GML is correct. My Dad worked for the New York Central and the 20th Century LTD was not cancelled due to weather or anything else. NYC kept their 4 tracked "waterlevel" route in top condition. Engineers prided themselves in bring the Century in on time. Passemgers paid and extra fare for this train which was refunded if the train was late which didn't happen very often.

Just remember, the New York Central owned the track as well as the train.. Amtrak doesn't own the track, outside of the NEC and some in Michigan. If your landlord says no trains.. there there are no trains. Period. End of statement. That being said.. it really does suck when CSX evacuates Jacksonville dispatch, hence shutting down most of the east coast, when a tropical storm is forecasted anywhere within 200 miles (yes an exagerration, but not by much). Amtrak is always blamed for the cancelations.. but they have to comply.. they have no choice. It's the same situation as right now.

What would you say the odds of the Feb 3 train 7/27 being cancelled or running horribly late are? I am ticketed to board that train in SPK on 2/5.

My guess is close to 10 to 1. I have a CS connection Saturday. Yesterday, I bought a back-up Amtrak bus connection to the CS in SEA (with an overnight in SEA) Friday as a safety valve. Can't miss 11 on Saturday.

Update: I am leaving a day early on Ambus 8849 tomorrow to catch the SEA-LAX CS Saturday.

What would you say the odds of the Feb 3 train 7/27 being cancelled or running horribly late are? I am ticketed to board that train in SPK on 2/5.

My guess is close to 10 to 1. I have a CS connection Saturday. Yesterday, I bought a back-up Amtrak bus connection to the CS in SEA (with an overnight in SEA) Friday as a safety valve. Can't miss 11 on Saturday.
Yeah, I read about your upcoming trip. Even if 7/27(3) is canceled, we'll run OT buses to Seattle and Portland. If it does run but gets extremely late it's likely there will be OT buses as well.

For today:

All Hiawatha Service trains to and from Chicago and Milwaukee, all Wolverine Service, Blue Water and Pere Marquette trains to and from Michigan and three of the five round-trips on the Chicago-St. Louis corridor are scheduled to operate, subject to residual weather-related delays.

Another update is planned by midday on Thursday, February 3. At this time, only the trains specifically mentioned below remain disrupted.

For Chicago Hub trains originating on Thursday, February 3, the following have been canceled:

• Chicago-St. Louis Lincoln Service: Trains 300 & 301, 304 & 305 only
  • Chicago-Carbondale Saluki/Illini: Trains 390 & 391 only
  • Chicago-Quincy Illinois Zephyr & Carl Sandburg: all trains canceled
Portions of other Amtrak services to and from Chicago from the west and south are also disrupted. Those passengers with telephone information in their reservations are being notified by Amtrak contact centers regarding cancelations, truncations or extreme delays.

• Chicago-Kansas City-Los Angeles Southwest Chief (Trains 3 & 4)
  • Chicago-Denver-Reno-Emeryville California Zephyr (Trains 5 & 6)
  • Chicago-St. Paul-Seattle/Portland Empire Builder (Trains 7/27 & 8/28)
  • Chicago-Cincinnati-Washington-New York Cardinal (Trains 50 & 51)
http://www.amtrak.co...d=1248543201748

I arrived Chicago at 1:30 am this morning, eight hours ago, from Flagstaff, on the Southwest Chief that originated 1/31. We were a little late into Kansas City and it appeared we were about to depart east when the car attendant informed me that if I wanted to get to Chicago, to deboard quickly and get on the St. Louis train on the adjoining track. So I am hurriedly packing my bags and the other train departs. I was rather ticked off at this screwup of communication,. HOwever, it turned out well. After sitting in Kansas City for nearly four hours, the decision was made to hold the intermediate passengers overnight and send them the next day, such as to Ft. Madison, Iowa. Chicago passengers would stay on and be detoured via St. Louis, which is what happened, which turned into a somewhat poky, but nonetheless moving eleven hour trip. I have to say that this train was well run. Our attendant, Renee, kept the car tidy the entire trip. The dining car offered rather good food with professional service. I spent the evening reading and went to bed for the last three hours into Chicago. ( Only complaint about the train was the Sightseer car was rather cold. ) We had picked up a large number of passengers at St. Louis off of other cancelled trains and made station stops across. Illinois. Getting off in Chicago, I immediately went looking for a cab, which were not readily available. Rather than standing there in the cold getting frustrated, I walked the 1.4 miles to the Hotel Palomar on State Street, to the astonishment of the front desk guy! Actually, it wasn't a bad walk through deserted streets at 2 am - now I know that I'm not a wimp! The Cleveland Orchestra, for which I had a ticket last night, cancelled, but I am looking forward to Chicago Symphony tonight.

For every 7/27 that is canceled, one 8/28 must be canceled as well. They wouldn't have to do the cancellations on the same day, since PDX/SEA won't be short a trainset until 2/4, but I suspect it makes things easier logistically if they annul trains in both directions on the same day.

I'm completely with you on that.

If the same situation happened to me while I was out west, I'd just cancel. I'd take the AMTRAK bus to the first city that had an airport, and fly home. I know I'd probably have to eat a cancellation fee, but that's a small price to pay for avoiding a long bus trip. :cool:

I'm completely with you on that.

If the same situation happened to me while I was out west, I'd just cancel. I'd take the AMTRAK bus to the first city that had an airport, and fly home. I know I'd probably have to eat a cancellation fee, but that's a small price to pay for avoiding a long bus trip. :cool:
As already noted, the bus won't be running Chicago-Montana.

Nonetheless, good luck finding an airport with flights that are actually operating. For those flights that are going, good luck finding space.

So far, it looks like #7(3) WILL be running, per the station agent I spoke to in Milwaukee. However, I still question that because it looks like all ticket sales have been blocked on that train on Amtrak.com (usually a sign it's going to be cancelled).

*IF* (and that's a big IF) #7 leaves CHI on time... I am going to try and hop on the train at Milwaukee... ride to Columbus... and should be able to catch the very late #8 back to MKE. You can only do this if #8 is REALLY late... only did this twice before. :)

So far, it looks like #7(3) WILL be running, per the station agent I spoke to in Milwaukee. However, I still question that because it looks like all ticket sales have been blocked on that train on Amtrak.com (usually a sign it's going to be cancelled).

*IF* (and that's a big IF) #7 leaves CHI on time... I am going to try and hop on the train at Milwaukee... ride to Columbus... and should be able to catch the very late #8 back to MKE. You can only do this if #8 is REALLY late... only did this twice before. :)
The other reason ticket sales are shut down could be that they have an entire trainload of people to reaccommodate from yesterday's cancellation.

I arrived Chicago at 1:30 am this morning, eight hours ago, from Flagstaff, on the Southwest Chief that originated 1/31. We were a little late into Kansas City and it appeared we were about to depart east when the car attendant informed me that if I wanted to get to Chicago, to deboard quickly and get on the St. Louis train on the adjoining track. So I am hurriedly packing my bags and the other train departs. I was rather ticked off at this screwup of communication,. HOwever, it turned out well. After sitting in Kansas City for nearly four hours, the decision was made to hold the intermediate passengers overnight and send them the next day, such as to Ft. Madison, Iowa. Chicago passengers would stay on and be detoured via St. Louis, which is what happened, which turned into a somewhat poky, but nonetheless moving eleven hour trip. I have to say that this train was well run. Our attendant, Renee, kept the car tidy the entire trip. The dining car offered rather good food with professional service. I spent the evening reading and went to bed for the last three hours into Chicago. ( Only complaint about the train was the Sightseer car was rather cold. ) We had picked up a large number of passengers at St. Louis off of other cancelled trains and made station stops across. Illinois. Getting off in Chicago, I immediately went looking for a cab, which were not readily available. Rather than standing there in the cold getting frustrated, I walked the 1.4 miles to the Hotel Palomar on State Street, to the astonishment of the front desk guy! Actually, it wasn't a bad walk through deserted streets at 2 am - now I know that I'm not a wimp! The Cleveland Orchestra, for which I had a ticket last night, canceled, but I am looking forward to Chicago Symphony tonight.

Just did some recalculations - it took us 13, not 11 hours to travel approx. 550 miles Kansas City to Chicago via St. Louis, poky but not too bad an average speed. That ride across Missouri certainly is not a high speed railroad - last rode that in 1977 when the National Limited carried the through sleeper, which I rode New york to Flagstaff! What was important yesterday was that the train itself ran well, was comfortable with good service, and I reached Chicago safely.

Wow....Tuesday's CZ left Chicago almost an hour late...and went snowballed (hah?) from there. It's currently scheduled thorough Reno at 2:30 tomorrow morning...18 hours later than its supposed 8:30 arrival. Seems like something went haywire in Iowa somewhere-it lost 10 hours between Mount Pleasant and Ottumwa on top of the 4.5 it was already late. Then yesterday's departure was canned completely. Today's says it'll be disrupted but running. I'l be tracking Friday's departure closely-I'm doing a day-turn to Truckee on Sunday, hopefully they've got things under control by then.

Wow....Tuesday's CZ left Chicago almost an hour late...and went snowballed (hah?) from there. It's currently scheduled thorough Reno at 2:30 tomorrow morning...18 hours later than its supposed 8:30 arrival. Seems like something went haywire in Iowa somewhere-it lost 10 hours between Mount Pleasant and Ottumwa on top of the 4.5 it was already late. Then yesterday's departure was canned completely. Today's says it'll be disrupted but running. I'l be tracking Friday's departure closely-I'm doing a day-turn to Truckee on Sunday, hopefully they've got things under control by then.
CZ spent the night in Ottumwa. Crew change needed but no way to get a new crew to the train in the blizzard. So they put the engineer and conductor in a hotel for the required eight hours of rest, then they got back on the train to continue the westbound journey.

It wasn't the only train to be stopped for a good while. #4(1) (Southwest Chief, eastbound) was held in Albuquerque for a whole day waiting for conditions to approve. Pax (or at least sleeper pax) were put up in a hotel for the night. Train is to depart "on time" today exactly 24 hours late.

CZ spent the night in Ottumwa. Crew change needed but no way to get a new crew to the train in the blizzard. So they put the engineer and conductor in a hotel for the required eight hours of rest, then they got back on the train to continue the westbound journey.
Heh, I wondered if that was why. Thanks, good to know.

The other reason ticket sales are shut down could be that they have an entire trainload of people to reaccommodate from yesterday's cancellation.
True... :ph34r:

Poop... :blush: My MKE-CBS on #7... and CBS-MKE on #8 round-trip has been foiled... because it looks like #7 will be leaving Chicago late... making the turn in CBS too risky.

Oh well, back to cleaning my condo and packing for my Amtrak trip to MEM on Tuesday.

It wasn't the only train to be stopped for a good while. #4(1) (Southwest Chief, eastbound) was held in Albuquerque for a whole day waiting for conditions to approve. Pax (or at least sleeper pax) were put up in a hotel for the night. Train is to depart "on time" today exactly 24 hours late.
A hotel?? I would have rather stayed on the train if it was an option!! :)

(I know I'm crazy!)

(I know I'm crazy!)
Aloha

But would they have left the engine running without a crew on board? And If they shut it down where would heat and HEP come from?

(I know I'm crazy!)
Aloha

But would they have left the engine running without a crew on board? And If they shut it down where would heat and HEP come from?
It would be sheer madness in the winter to shut engine and HEP down for the night. There would be zero hope for the train to get going the following morning, what with night temperature in the teens!

While I'm not saying that a crew wasn't needed, it's highly unlikely that the crew that took the train to Ottumwa rested and then continued west. Most crews aren't qualified for multiple territories and therefore would be unable to operate the train on tracks that they don't know. The crew taking the train from Chicago to Ottumwa would probably only be qualified to return the train to Chicago.

If indeed they were waiting for a crew to rest, then my guess would be that they were waiting for the crew that had run #6 into Ottumwa to rest, and not the crew that took the train out of Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back