The Lincoln service "High Speed Zone" between Dwight and Ponti

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no idea why IDOT agreed to such a restriction in the first place, seems a little short sighted.
My familiarity with this aspect is a bit weak, but from what I recall, it has to do with some study that had to be performed on the impact of a speed increase. This study was done way back when there were only three round-trips, and so they could use that to get the project off the ground (i.e. "shovel-ready"), or they could waste a bunch more time redoing the study for additional trips and delaying the initial construction (which could then delay funding for the whole project). There certainly is the intention of speeding up the rest of the service once everything is done.

My recollection is the same as what Trodgor stated. As I recall from skimming the multi-hundred page PDFs relating to the CHI-STL project (available on the IDOT website), some of the project relies upon the findings of a 2003 study when some work was completed on the line. I think there are references to ROD03 (Record of Decision 2003, I believe). Also buried in those pages is IDOT's intention to (likely) raise speeds for the other trains as well.

Essentially, the Texas Eagle and the former Ann Rutledge do not run above 79mph at this time.

Does anyone know if 1 engine is able to move 6 loaded passenger cars up to 110 MPH. Or is that why there are 2 engines. I thought maybe they were run like distributed power.

My 2 trips that were close to 110 MPH had the engines on each end.

Does anyone know if 1 engine is able to move 6 loaded passenger cars up to 110 MPH. Or is that why there are 2 engines. I thought maybe they were run like distributed power. My 2 trips that were close to 110 MPH had the engines on each end.
One engine can get a train up to 110, but it will take a while. When the train has to slow down for a speed restriction or a station stop soon afterwards, the train might not get to 110 before it needs to slow down.

IIRC, a single P42 would take around 13 miles on flat terrain to get a six-car train from a stop to 110 mph. With a second engine, that distance gets cut almost in half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back