Thoughts on LD/high altitudes/oxygen

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rainyday6

Of course, my doctor will have the final word but I just wanted to throw this out there. I was just diagnosed with atrial fibrillation which was diagnosed after becoming short of breath on the CZ to Reno. I'm still planning my LD trip from Sac to Baltimore via Chicago and would like to hear from anyone who travels with oxygen needed at significant heights. Are there any fast/steep climbs to watch out for on this route? A cardiologist in the hospital said "not gonna happen" and my doctor said "probably" OK as long as I'm stable.

I would probably have one of those little oxygen generators, assuming they are allowed. Thanks.

Last edited:
Just remember that the highest altitude on the route of the CZ is at Moffet Tunnel and is between 7,000 and 8,000 feet. This is well below the altitude that a plane's cabin is pressurized at, and you don't use O2 masks on a plane most of the time.

I'm not a doctor, but my advice is not to worry.

Last edited by a moderator:
Airplane cabins are pressurized to 8000 ft or below but that is kind of irrelevant. If someone has issues at higher altitudes, I wouldn't tell them to not worry about it. Other transcontinental routes may have lower maximum altitudes so that may be something to look into.

Just remember that the highest altitude on the route of the CZ is at Moffet Tunnel and is between 7,000 and 8,000 feet. This is well below the altitude that a plane's cabin is pressurized at, and you don't use O2 masks on a plane most of the time.I'm not a doctor, but my advice is not to worry.
I believe the elevation inside the Moffat Tunnel is higher than that--9, 239 feet.

The lowest crossing of the continental divide os on the TE/SL at about 2,000 feet IIRC. This has a same day connection to/from the CS at LAX to SAC. You can connect either in CHI or NOL to/from BAL.

First of all Amtrak allows all types of oxygen tanks, concentrators, liquid, etc. They just have a weight limit on the tanks. So, if you are going to use a concentrator that should be fine. Just remember, if you have not made your reservations yet you must call Amtrak and make them. They do NOT want you to book your trip online. Secondly, if you already booked your trip online then call Amtrak and let them know you will be bringing oxygen.

After having said all that, I am also on oxygen and the doctor recommended that if I feel short of breath at a higher altitude to increase the liter flow. So far on my trips I have not had a problem. Hope this helps.

Just remember that the highest altitude on the route of the CZ is at Moffet Tunnel and is between 7,000 and 8,000 feet. This is well below the altitude that a plane's cabin is pressurized at, and you don't use O2 masks on a plane most of the time.
I'm not a doctor, but my advice is not to worry.
Airplane cabins are pressurized to at most 8000', usually somewhat lower, like around 7000'. Moffat tunnel is 9200+ feet. So the statement that the altitude of Moffat tunnel is lower than internal cabin pressure in planes is just utterly wrong. Upon cabin depressurization planes are actually required to immediately come down to an altitude below 8000'.

My advice is do worry if you have atrial fibrillation. I am not a doctor either, but know a thing or two about heart issues from personal experience. My Mother, when she was alive, needed supplementary Oxygen and trust me it is a really serious life or death matter and not to be taken lightly.

So s Moffat's 9,200 ft the highest on the system? If not, what is?
Pretty sure that is. Raton Pass is at 7,834 feet. Donner Pass is 7,056 feet. If the OP had trouble breathing on the CZ across Donner Pass on the SAC-RNO, he would surely have trouble in the Moffat.

Yes, the Moffat Tunnel, at 9,239 feet, is the highest point of altitude on Amtrak's system.

Highest point on the Sunset Limited is approx 4600 feet in Texas. Highest point on the Empire Builder is approx 5200 feet in Montana.

Yes, the Moffat Tunnel, at 9,239 feet, is the highest point of altitude on Amtrak's system.
This was also part of the announcement before going through the Moffat Tunnel two weeks ago... besides giving a little history of the tunnel, there was the comment/statement that it was the highest point in the Amtrak system.

The Sunset is the lowest Transcon in the US...that was, IIRC, actually an advertising point of SP's once upon a time.

The Sunset is the lowest Transcon in the US...that was, IIRC, actually an advertising point of SP's once upon a time.
:hi: You are Correct Sir! FWIW: My Grandfather was a 40 Year SP Hand and was the Section Foreman between Alpine and Marfa which includes Pisano Pass whicch is the Highest Point on the Sunset Route between NOL and LAX!!

Are there any fast/steep climbs to watch out for on this route?
I don't think trains in general can do fast ascents/climbs. At least nothing like an F22 with afterburners. :)
Most grades on a railroad are less than 2%. (That means the train climbs 2 feet vertically for every 100 feet traveled. And that is a steep climb. Trains can go up a 4-5% grade, but they need extra help - meaning helper locomotives.)
By comparison on an interstate highway, some of the hills show signs saying "Steep Hill, 6-7%. Use lower gear." And many of those have truck runaway ramps!

Well "trains" can go up 11% grades, as the Cass Railway does in WV. But the steepest mainline railroad in the USA was/is Saluda Grade at 4.7% and now the Raton Pass at 4%. Yes I know I'm a geek.

And cog railways (like at Mt Washington or Pike's Peak) go up higher grades, I believe.
If memory serves: the average grade from bottom to top on MtW is just over 25%, while Jacob's Ladder (sp??) - a short stretch near the top - is over 35%.... so, yes, a cog railway can and do climb significantly steeper grades.

Are there any fast/steep climbs to watch out for on this route?
I don't think trains in general can do fast ascents/climbs. At least nothing like an F22 with afterburners. :)
Most grades on a railroad are less than 2%. (That means the train climbs 2 feet vertically for every 100 feet traveled. And that is a steep climb. Trains can go up a 4-5% grade, but they need extra help - meaning helper locomotives.)
By comparison on an interstate highway, some of the hills show signs saying "Steep Hill, 6-7%. Use lower gear." And many of those have truck runaway ramps!
You have those Interstates climbs a lot around here in the Basin, there's Golconda Summint, Emigrant Pass, and Euer Saddle. I remember once when my bus driver floored it up Golconda Summit, the turbocharger whined, tires ground up the hill, and we immediatly passed three slacking heavy trucks who were cruising along at a leisurely 50 mph. I think we kept 75 mph. Man, that was fun! Of course a bus would never outrace a comparable train on the flat.

Edit: I acutally felt my ears straining a bit when we came down the summit!

Just for info; the steepest railroad in the country is the Lookout Mountain Railroad in Chattanooga TN. The RR car is on tracks and you travel up the mountain on a whopping 72% grade. It is quite an exciting trip up the hillside. .

Just for info; the steepest railroad in the country is the Lookout Mountain Railroad in Chattanooga TN. The RR car is on tracks and you travel up the mountain on a whopping 72% grade. It is quite an exciting trip up the hillside. .
Is that a train, or an elevator? ;-) or maybe a funicular? Cog driven, or dragged by a cable?

Is that a train, or an elevator? ;-) or maybe a funicular? Cog driven, or dragged by a cable?
Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back