transdorm sleeper showers

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amtrak George

Lead Service Attendant
We are assigned rooms 17 and 18 on the CZ. This sounds like rooms in the transition sleeper. I have only ridden in such one time. Where are the showers and restrooms in this car? (Not complaining, just curious!)

I like the transform, which I have ridden once, but made use of the showers more than once when riding in adjacent cars. As I recall there are two showers and rest rooms on the upper levee;, plus more on the lower level. Enjoy your trip.

There is a shower and toilet combo on the revenue end of the transform where your rooms are/the other shower by the stairs is reserved for crew members!

There is also a shower downstairs where the crew lounge is located by the toilets and H Room just like on a Revenue Sleeper! (There are no roomettes or Family Room, the crew lounge replaces them!

Depending on your Attendant you may or may not have coffee,juice and ice in the old conductor office by your rooms! You may have to go to the next sleeper for this! Also you may have to ask for towels and wash cloths if there are not any on the downstairs luggage rack! I've always enjoyed my trips in the Transform, hope you do too!

Last edited by a moderator:
There are two different layouts of transition sleepers. One has two combo restroom/showers on the upper level and one downstairs. The other has an extra roomette at the end of the car where one of them would be, and the other is toilet-only with no shower, but, as I recall, there is a second downstairs shower in that config. There is no way to know in advance which configuration you will have.

(Actually, there is a third configuration, which was done during an overhaul at Beech Grove, taking components from a wrecked car to create somewhat of a hybrid configuration)

I like the transform, which I have ridden once, but made use of the showers more than once when riding in adjacent cars.
How is the transdorm shower different from a regular sleeper shower? I tried to find some photos in the interwebz but was unsuccessful. I have never been in a transdorm, but am frequently in the next car, and it has never occurred to me to try the shower in the transdorm if/when ours is occupied. I assume that since there's no attendant, it wouldn't be a big problem?

It's not quite the same, but the combined toilet/shower combo of the transdorm is similar to the changing rooms in a Superliner coach. Those have a "room" with a seat for changing and a separate "room" with the toilet. The combo shower in the transdorm has the toilet (with a cover) for changing in one "room" and the shower "room" to the side.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not quite the same, but the combined toilet/shower combo of the transdorm is similar to the changing rooms in a Superliner coach. Those have a "room" with a seat for changing and a separate "room" with the toilet. The combo shower in the transdorm has the toilet (with a cover) for changing in one "room" and the shower "room" to the side.
With very little standing "room" outside the shower. It's cramped for a man my size but I manage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back