Tropical Storm Debby

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks! This is my first post. :)

I'm riding the Silver Meteor for the first time from Miami to New York City tomorrow and Wednesday... In fact it's my first time ever on a long distance train.

Is Debby expected to delay the trains or cancel service? It would be a shame if my first ever ride on Amtrak were ruined by the storm! How bad do conditions have to get before trains can't operate?

I find trains fascinating, and I'm extremely excited about this trip!

Welcome!! I hope your trip goes as planned. According to the weather report on the local news in Orlando, Debby is expected to pick up some speed and cut eastward through North Central Florida. If that happens, my guess is that all the Silvers would be affected since the DeLand and Palatka stations would be close to Debby's path. However, those are only predictions. Currently, the northbound Silver Star is running about an hour late into Orlando (I am watching it because a friend's brother-in-law is on the train). If there is flooding, then the train will go a lot slower, possibly only 15 miles an hour. A lot will depend on Debby's path, flooding issues, whether there are fallen trees on the tracks, etc.

I will wave to your train as you pass through Orlando tomorrow. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have fun and enjoy your trip!!!

We just got our power back after losing it for 12 hours; went out right in the middle of the Mets/Yankees game! Thanks, Debby, now go do someone else.
I heard on the local news that Marion County had more power outages than any other Central Florida county. We did not lose power at all, but did lose satellite tv for a short while last night. It has temporarily stopped raining here, but it looks like it will start again any minute. Stay safe and dry.
At the homeplace here in South Georgia we have had rain pretty much all day today (6/25). Our total since Saturday is around 6 inches. That is a decent amount although some areas south of Tallahassee are getting that amount in an hours time.

Debby is now stationary, according to latest local update. I think that means a lot more rain.

Just for information it is the railroad that owns the tracks not Amtrak's decision if it is a go or no go, and it it is a go at what speed limit (if any) will apply. This is determined by the railroad after a track inspection. The communications can also cause a delay if they are not successfully established after the storm.

If the delays are excessive Amtrak may have problems providing operating crews. If I remember correctly train #5 was delayed at Ottumwa Iowa last year for approximately 2 hours wait for an engineer to get the rest that is required under FRA regulations.

:angry: :( :eek:hboy:

Looks like she may be starting to pick up some speed:

at201204_5day.gif

Of course, they're also showing her strengthening back into a Tropical Storm once she gets off the east coast of FL, putting a second landfall in the Carolinas on the table. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back