Undisclosed Bedroom rates

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I planned an Amtrak vacation well before the rail portion could be booked. I received our room assignment and saw that we were placed in the smaller, "a" bedroom.

[SIZE=12pt]I was told by the amtrak vacation agent that the room couldn't be swapped because all rooms were already filled.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Then I was told that to check with the attendant because there may be a cancellation BUT I would need to pay more because rooms b,c,d,and e are more expensive.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I am not a first timer and have never seen the option for different rooms and room rates.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]This stinks. I wanted a premium vacation and have amtrak try to milk more money from me, claiming there is different pricing for the bedrooms. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Where is this published ?[/SIZE]

The pricing is not different for the different bedrooms. However, the computer system can be sticky when trying to adjust room assignments and if it's trying to treat this as a cancel-and-rebook then it would try to slap you with the prevailing rate at the time of (re)booking, which would produce this...and then you've just got an agent coming up with excuses for the computer's behavior.

Not to try to blame them, but Amtrak Vacations IS NOT Amtrak! They are a travel agency doing business under contract with Amtrak. So really Amtrak has nothing to say about what they are selling. (They sold you transportation on Amtrak, and you purchased transportation on Amtrak from Amtrak Vacations, so Amtrak Vacations fulfilled their contract.)

BTW - If you receive a gift certificate from Amtrak Vacations, it can not be used directly to purchase train travel from Amtrak. They are 2 separate companies. Many people have been caught by that!

Do you know how to find out how many bedrooms are actually available (to see if the travel agency agent is correct)?

If you don't, PM me your trip details and I'll let you know by return PM

Last edited by a moderator:
dallas to LA on the 23rd. I think there are five bedrooms and going to be busy that day. Agent checked and I believe her.

Amtrak Vacation is not Amtrak....I did not know.

There are 5 different fares for each room accomodations. Plus there are multiple rail fares. The fare you get is based on how many people have already booked on the train at the time you reserve. Lowest fares are sold first, highest fares are sold last. There is no super discount for unsold last min reservations like many airlines do.

That being said.... call Amtrak and talk to an actual Amtrak reservation agent (or, better - go to the station, if staffed) and get them to look at what is available and, if a bedroom is available, they can swap you with no fare increase. (If the reservation agent wont/cant do it, ask for a supervisor). They do have a work around that is allowed for a simple room swap.

If you get on board and ask the attendant or conductor, they can swap you to a no show room, but it needs to be shown in the computer to keep it from being resold to someone else.

Good luck!

If Amtrak Vacations made your reservation, I believe only that travel agency will be able to modify your reservation. I ran into that situation once after I received a gift certificate from Amtrak Vacations. They made the reservation on my behalf and I was not pleased with my room. I wanted to change the room, and Amtrak Vacations told me that they were unable to do so. I figured they were unwilling to do so.

I was able to locate a reservation using the agent’s phone number

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Lowest fares are sold first, highest fares are sold last.
If only it actually worked that way. Truth is it's more complex than that.

In August I booked a March '18 round trip on the CZ OTM - SAC.

I modified my reservation in November because the price was lower ($160) for the same OTM - SAC travel dates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Then I was told that to check with the attendant because there may be a cancellation BUT I would need to pay more because rooms b,c,d,and e are more expensive.
If one waits and does an on-board upgrade, don't you now have to pay the highest bucket price for the accommodation ?

BTW, is bedroom "A" on a Superliner generally priced lower than the other bedrooms, because it is slightly smaller?

If one waits and does an on-board upgrade, don't you now have to pay the highest bucket price for the accommodation ?

BTW, is bedroom "A" on a Superliner generally priced lower than the other bedrooms, because it is slightly smaller?
Room A is in the same inventory as the other bedrooms. It is not generally priced lower. It all depends on the point at which the "buckets" are for that inventory.

Onboard upgrades are now at the "current" bucket, whether that be high, low or between. You can just call or do the app and buy the upgrade, the conductors, who never were thrilled about doing them, pretty much do not them any more. It is self-serve.

Waiting to upgrade no longer makes any sense at all. Follow the prices on Amsnag and either upgrade or get a rebate when the price (and if) the price gets around where you want it to be.

Lowest fares are sold first, highest fares are sold last.
If only it actually worked that way. Truth is it's more complex than that.
I believe it is still true for Illinois service trains, and possibly other state supported ones. But definitely not for LD trains controlled by Amtrak revenue managers. I booked a California Zephyr roomette back in late November departing early January; and I've already taken advantage of two price drips.

I am considering a CZ trip in February or March of 2018, and currently all roomettes and all bedrooms on all 30 days between 20 Feb and 20 Mar are selling at lowest bucket EXCEPT 5(15), which is completely sold out for all coach and sleeper for the TrainJam charter.

And TrainJam is also now completely sold out in all classes of service.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

It seems that the computer assigns rooms (roomettes and bedrooms) starting with the lowest number or letter (2 or A) but then people "modify" their reservations to get a better room.

I find that the buckets can vary top to bottom 7 - 11 months out, you have to monitor for the best fare.

Acela150's guess of Superliner bedrooms being allocated from E to A is consistent with my experience. I often get bedroom E when I reserve early, but can get any bedroom when I call to take advantage of a reduced fare.

Roomettes, on the other hand, seem to start at the low number (1 for Viewliners and 2 for Superliners).

We typically book early and usually end up with bedroom E but we have stayed in D and C. As for bedroom A, yes it is a bit smaller but the chair, beds and bathroom are the same size. You just lose some floor space as one corner near the hall is cut. The big disadvantage is for bigger people. The bathroom door does not open as wide. You are also at the end of the car so the ride is rougher. I'd just chalk it up and make the best of it.

It seems that the computer assigns rooms (roomettes and bedrooms) starting with the lowest number or letter (2 or A) but then people "modify" their reservations to get a better room.

I find that the buckets can vary top to bottom 7 - 11 months out, you have to monitor for the best fare.
Is there a better Economy Bedroom than 2? Seems like the best one on the car!

Is there a better Economy Bedroom than 2? Seems like the best one on the car!
Superliner's, No. Room 1 is the SCA's room. Viewliner's, Yes. 1-9 or 10 are open for booking.

Back