Using a Walker on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Everydaymatters

Engineer
This is all new to me, but because of health issues I find that I need a walker (aka rollator). I don't recall ever seeing anyone on the train with a walker and would like to know more about it. I will probably need the walker when I go to the next Bay Area Gathering in October. At this point, I don't even know what questions to ask, so your help is appreciated.

Reserve by phone and ask for a disabled reservation. Explain that you use a walker and will need "lower level" space and assistance getting on and off the train.

I'm feeling uneasy about maneuvering my suitcase. I know I can check it, but getting it from the door of the station to the check area is questionable. Another question is whether the walker will fit in the confines of a roomette.

If you're on a Superliner (which you should be from Illinois to California), the walker can probably be stashed near the luggage rack if necessary. You can probably make it from there to your room by hanging onto the walls.

Your bigger problem will be making sure the car attendant remembers to bring you your meals! People stuck on the lower level have had a lot of trouble with that sometimes.

You are correct to worry about carrying your suitcase; I know some people who balance them on top of their walkers, but it's a very unstable thing to do.

Can you get someone to come with you from home to bring your suitcase from the door to the checkin area? Amtrak is totally unhelpful about such things at most stations, I've found. What station are you starting at? Some stations are easier than others. Everyone I know who's travelled with a walker has had a companion to get them to the door of the train.

At the other end of the trip, maybe you can get someone else at the Gathering to assist you with picking up your luggage.

On recent trips, once my wife makes her way to our room (upper level), her walker is stashed on the lower level...either the luggage rack or an empty roomette if available. If the diner is more than one car away, we will have the SCA bring our meals to us. This was especially so on the 421/422 "through" sleeper on the TE/SL...the diner was too many cars away for her to make the trek.

I think people will gladly come and help you with a suitcase IF they see you are in trouble or just need a little help going up the steps or just moving about.

I use a walker also. But i also. Walk without it on the train, using the wallls and seatbacks for support.

As said, reserve by phone and ask for the disability rate! (You'll get a 15% discount - now that i think of it, you can also get that.discount on line by clicking the "disability" link.) If by phone, you can ask for the H-Room if desired. My own opinion is that on a Viewliner, it is highly desired! (It's the biggest room in the car.) I personally do not like the H-Room on a Superliner.

The open walkers do not fit thru the aisles of most cars. (I think they do on Horizons.) They also do not fit in roomettes when open. If you are by yourself, and it's not heavy, you can keep it on the top berth. (Your SCA will also help you.) Iff there are 2 in the roomette, and it can be folded, you can keepp it on the bed - but that reduces your bed space. On a Superliner, i just keep it in the lower level baggage rack.

You can request assistance when reserving. If youre boarding or detraining at a station that has low level platforms but the train has only. high level doors (like an Amfleet), they will have the lift ready for you! (I had this in Deerfield Beach, FL.)

As far as baggage assistance to/from the traiiin, you will get assistance - either from a Red Cap or station personnel.

I use a walker (just for long distance walking like at Union Station in Chicago). What I have mistakenly done in the past when ordering my tickets is not stress that I needed lower level. When I'd board, they'd attempt to send me upstairs. So, it's imperative, if you are not able to walk up and down stairs (reminder, the restrooms are on the lower level) then it's imperative you inform them upon purchase, that you require lower level seating. The OBS just doesn't assume it. Also, disabled people get a 15% discount when ordering, and when in Chicago you sit in a special area with the seniors. This all is assuming you're riding in coach.

If you are getting a room, ask the agent for room H. That is a special room for people with disabilities. The rates are actually cheaper than the price for a roomette. I've done it once, and also have traveled with my elderly mom and she stayed in H. There is plenty of room to maneuver about with your walker.....plus the room comes equipped with a toilet and lavatory. The shower stalls are right outside the room. Also, the SCA pretty much assumes you'll be having your meals in your room and he/she typically is willing to get you bottled water or coffee whenever wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear that Betty but as you know many of our Members have disabilities that require walkers, canes and wheelchairs and still travel all over on Trains!

If you have a Lower Level Room your Walker will fit in the Luggage Rack or if in the H Room inside your room! (Same thing if in a Superliner Coach)

Are you able to climb the stairs to the upstairs rooms and walk to the diner and lounge without the walker since it doesn't fit in the stairwell or aisles??? If so, perhaps you could use a cane or walking stick for this in place of the walker???

As you know you can let Amtrak know you will require assistance boarding and detraining,and while I'm not sure about the new BNL Station,know that Chicago has Red Caps with Carts and the Emeryville staff has carts to assist those needing it!

I don't know about the Bay Area Transit but there are lots of the AUers staying all over and also you may be traveling with other Gathering bound AU Members that can assist you! Were good that way as you know!

If it were not for the assistance of other AU membes at Gatherings (like Jim and Alan), it would have been hard to move my bags around town. In the station and on the train there's assistance. And in EMY, many are also at the HGI, so you will have help there also! ;)

Thank you all for your replies. I can walk short distances without the walker, but from the station in Glenview to Grandpa's like we did last year would be too far for me now. I wouldn't want to use the H room when someone else would need it more than I do. With help, I could store the walker in the upper berth. I'm not sure about storing it in the luggage area. I've had my suitcase get buried way in the back and it might be hard to get to it.

Like Dave, I can hang onto walls and seat-backs to get around once I'm in the train, although I don't know how much of going up and down the stairs I could do.

I actually thought of tagging along behind Alice, Dave or Chris, but doggone it, they move faster than I do :p .

I'll be ok getting on the train at BNL, but I'm not sure about getting off the Lincoln Service in Chicago. Another question: the shower is downstairs and the coffee and diner are upstairs. I wonder if it would be best to get an upper or lower room. ????? Dave? What do you do?

I myself go for a room upstairs. Remember there's a rail on the stairway, the other cars are via the upper level and in a sleeeper there's a restroom upstairs (across from the coffee). And i keep mine folded in the rack on the left side (where the SCA keeps supplies), thus it's not with the other bags. It never disappeared.

I think there are two key issues here:

1. How much of your actual weight is on the walker when you use it? If you require the walker to literally hold you up, then you will need it to support you when walking through the aisles. In that case, there won't be anything else to hold onto in the aisle. You will probably have to turn the walker sideways to move along the aisle in short steps. Passing from car to car might be pretty difficult.

2. How well do you handle stairs? Is it harder to go up, or to go down? The stairs have handrails, but remember that you would not just be taking one or two stairsteps, as you might find on a porch or deck at home; on the train, you would need to negotiate an entire flight of stairs to get upstairs or down. If you are able to use the stairs and believe you'll need the walker on both floors, I'm sure you'll need to have somebody else (the SA or another passenger) take the walker for you. In general, your helper should be below you as you go up or down, for "insurance".

Those questions should help you to decide whether you need the upper or lower level, and whether it's practical to get to the diner or lounge. Before you make your reservations, make a list of the things that are of concern, and be sure the reservation agent addresses all your issues, and if you think you'll want to go to the diner or lounge, be sure they are as close as possible to your car. The res. agent can arrange to have a Transportation Notice put on the manifest so that the station personnel and the SA will have an idea what help you'll need, in advance. It wouldn't hurt to call the station before you arrive to board, too. No surprises. Right after boarding, talk it over with the SA so you're both on the same page.

One of the smartest things you can do is to travel with a companion who knows your limitations and capabilities, and can help out where needed. But if that's not the case, you should still be OK as long as you communicate your needs to the SA.

Have a great trip!

The stairs will be a problem for a couple of reasons. My knees are bad and my lungs are bad. I'll be traveling by myself, but I won't be alone. I suspect there will be at least a dozen or so AU members both to and from the Gathering. I like your idea of being in a sleeper closest to the diner. I hadn't thought of that. Thank you.

Thinking of hubby's mobility limitations, ditto FormerOBS' post. Another thing to consider is how much upper body strength you have. My husband had good upper body strength which he could sometimes use to compensate, if there was something he could grasp. Best wishes for a safe and enjoyable journey.

I'll be ok getting on the train at BNL, but I'm not sure about getting off the Lincoln Service in Chicago.
Chicago Redcaps are SUPER helpful to disabled people, and the conductors and car attendants are pretty good at Chicago too (maybe because it's the end of the line so they aren't in as much of a hurry as they are at midline stations).
I've never had any trouble with changing trains at Chicago. (My fiancee has severe arthritis in the knees, so we've had to get help regularly.)

Let the attendant know you're disabled and need a Redcap -- and that you'll need assistance handling the steps on and off the train. (They may just get out the wheelchair lift for you, or they may just assist you.)

Hi Betty, Lots of good info already.

I traveled on a train a lot with my mother when she was using a walker, the cheap hospital kind, not a rollator.

Ditch the suitcase, won't work without a whole lot of practice in addition to some customizing. Start looking for devices that attach to the walker and also get a backpack that you can wear. Maybe buy one of those jackets or vests that is all pockets or sew pockets all over a T-shirt. If you need a walker, then you need to use it right, with both hands. So downsize what you need to carry to fit whatever storage you obtain. Also, weight matters, it has to balance right on the walker or the whole thing will tip over and take you with it. So don't figure you can pack up like a bag lady's cart with leather and liquids!

As you know by now, there is a certain way you walk with a walker, the way you move is different. Walking with a heavy walker is different than a light walker in the same way. So load it up in the house and practice. Also practice up and down steps and ramps, and include cross-slopes. Ramps with cross-slopes are most "interesting" with a heavy walker and they seem to put them in the worst places.

As an alternative to carrying all of your clothes, consider wearing them. All of them, layered, then take them off on the train.

Get a roomette, for sure, and I second what everyone else says about taking the H-room. Since you are going to be using the walker as a luggage cart, essentially, you won't be able to lift it up a flight of stairs or into the upper bunk. Depending on exactly what model you have, it might not even fit down the hallway to a lower level roomette. The H-room will work for sure, and you can take your walker on excursions around the train to see if there are any other workable options for future trips.

Here are some links, you can probably find others. If you sew, you'll save a ton of $.

Spinlife You want walking aid accessories

Diestco I have a lot of their stuff

Abilities Expo A trade show for people with disabilities. Many vendors so you can try stuff out, also demonstrations, workshops (including travel), and expensive toys to try. You just missed the Chicago show, maybe you can get to the Boston show this year. Now that you have a disability, be sure to get to one, trust me on that!

Easy Access Travel This is a travel agent. I'm putting her here because she gave a good talk at one of the Abilities Expo workshops I went to. She included Amtrak in her talk. She is a leg amputee and uses a scooter most of the time. She is friendly and I'm sure you could email her and get luggage and packing info that would be different than mine. If I ever take a cruise, I'll book with her. She knows about stuff like services that will pick up your luggage at home and deliver it to your cruise ship, and I don't know why that wouldn't include to Amtrak.

ScotteVest I don't have one of these but see their reviews pretty often. I'd probably opt for a fishing vest or photographer vest, though, don't need my pockets to be invisible.

Hi Betty, Lots of good info already.

I traveled on a train a lot with my mother when she was using a walker, the cheap hospital kind, not a rollator.

Ditch the suitcase, won't work without a whole lot of practice in addition to some customizing. Start looking for devices that attach to the walker and also get a backpack that you can wear. Maybe buy one of those jackets or vests that is all pockets or sew pockets all over a T-shirt. If you need a walker, then you need to use it right, with both hands. So downsize what you need to carry to fit whatever storage you obtain. Also, weight matters, it has to balance right on the walker or the whole thing will tip over and take you with it. So don't figure you can pack up like a bag lady's cart with leather and liquids!

As you know by now, there is a certain way you walk with a walker, the way you move is different. Walking with a heavy walker is different than a light walker in the same way. So load it up in the house and practice. Also practice up and down steps and ramps, and include cross-slopes. Ramps with cross-slopes are most "interesting" with a heavy walker and they seem to put them in the worst places.

As an alternative to carrying all of your clothes, consider wearing them. All of them, layered, then take them off on the train.

Get a roomette, for sure, and I second what everyone else says about taking the H-room. Since you are going to be using the walker as a luggage cart, essentially, you won't be able to lift it up a flight of stairs or into the upper bunk. Depending on exactly what model you have, it might not even fit down the hallway to a lower level roomette. The H-room will work for sure, and you can take your walker on excursions around the train to see if there are any other workable options for future trips.

Here are some links, you can probably find others. If you sew, you'll save a ton of $.

Spinlife You want walking aid accessories

Diestco I have a lot of their stuff

Abilities Expo A trade show for people with disabilities. Many vendors so you can try stuff out, also demonstrations, workshops (including travel), and expensive toys to try. You just missed the Chicago show, maybe you can get to the Boston show this year. Now that you have a disability, be sure to get to one, trust me on that!

Easy Access Travel This is a travel agent. I'm putting her here because she gave a good talk at one of the Abilities Expo workshops I went to. She included Amtrak in her talk. She is a leg amputee and uses a scooter most of the time. She is friendly and I'm sure you could email her and get luggage and packing info that would be different than mine. If I ever take a cruise, I'll book with her. She knows about stuff like services that will pick up your luggage at home and deliver it to your cruise ship, and I don't know why that wouldn't include to Amtrak.

ScotteVest I don't have one of these but see their reviews pretty often. I'd probably opt for a fishing vest or photographer vest, though, don't need my pockets to be invisible.
So much good advice and links! Thank you, Alice. I have a travel vest that I haven't used in years and I think I might be able to borrow a backpack. I left mine behind when I moved here 3 years ago. Yes, I actually had thought about loading up the walker like a bag lady and never thought about the walker tipping over. I can walk short distances and really don't feel right getting the H room when others need it so much more than I, but I'll give it some thought. I'll practice with the walker with whatever accessories I can find between now and then.

I do have a couple of their jackets. They work as advertised, but keep in mind that they're a bit heavy even before you put anything in them due to the weight of the pockets and such. You'd probably want to buy a size larger than you usually do, since once you start putting things in the pockets, the jackets and vests get bulkier. My major complaint with their products is that they tend to be right-handed; that is, most of the pockets are on the left side for easy access with the right hand. Finally, never buy full price. They have pretty constant sales, and you can generally get some nice deals from their website.

Edit: Here's a review of their latest travel vest.

Based on my experience traveling with my elderly dad (who relies on a cane, but finds it easiest NOT to use cane while on the train)...

If you're comfortable walking without your walker short distances, holding onto walls, you might be most comfortable in an upper-level roomette, preferably in a car close to the dining car. View is better upstairs, and the dining car experience is unique.

You'd need to climb the stairs only once, when you board the train--and climb back down only once, when you reach your destination. Your walker can be left on the luggage rack at the bottom of the stairs, along with any baggage you won't be needing while you're on the train.

(If stairs are absolutely not doable for you, then you'll need a lower-level roomette, and will also need to have all of your meals brought to your room. Be sure to let the sleeping-car attendant know this when you board the train.)

When you board, ask the attendant to please bring to your roomette whatever baggage you'll need while you're on the train. That way you won't need to carry anything but yourself up the stairs.

You won't have access to a shower on the upper level, but will have a bathroom with toilet and sink a short distance down the hall from your roomette. When you book your room, you can ask for a roomette close to the bathroom.

The dining room is on the upper level, and you'd get there by walking down the hall and through double doors at the end of each car. The doors open easily, by pushing a large button on the door.

Be sure your sleeping-car attendant knows you'll need help at the station when you get off the train. If the station is staffed, there'll be someone to help you. If not, you'll need to make arrangements for someone to meet you there.

Hope this helps.

Betty, Alice, Dave and others have given you good advice and remember that there will be a number of us on your CZ trains willing to assist. Use the Red Caps in Chicago to save lots of wear and tear on your legs. And when we get to Emeryville, it would probably make sense for some of us to share a cab over to HGI. :p

Betty, Alice, Dave and others have given you good advice and remember that there will be a number of us on your CZ trains willing to assist. Use the Red Caps in Chicago to save lots of wear and tear on your legs. And when we get to Emeryville, it would probably make sense for some of us to share a cab over to HGI. :p
You're just looking for an excuse to take a cab. :p

Sharing a cab is one of the fun experiences at these Gatherings. Especially when we all try to pile into one cab, only to find out we just can't all fit. That's when we usually split up and go into two separate cabs. Picture an overloaded VW and you'll get the idea. :p

I agree with Alice about the Abilities Expo. If you have a chance to get to one, you should! I've been to the one in Boston and there are a wealth of vendors, products and information. Other catalogs I sometimes use are Signatures, Gold Violin, Make Life Easier and Spin Life.. (Sorry I can't link, but they're all on the net.) I've got a small bag that goes on the front off the walker that allows me to carry stuff (like my mail, papers, books and my iPad). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back