Very Off Topic - name your temp right now

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot always promise that it will be cooler in Orlando than it is in Kingston
I know!
rolleyes.gif
You promised a nice warm Florida day for the FL mini-Gathering - and then you order up a day in the 50's!
wacko.gif

Those that say there is no such a thing as Climate Change should read this thread! :help: 84 and Sunny, nice Clear, Breeezy Spring Day here in River City, a perfect day to welcome the UP 150th Anniversary Train to the Capitol of Texas!! :cool: (its actually 10-20 degrees Warmer than Normal for this time of year!)Glad to see the Northland is warming up, its time for Baseball!!! :wub:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those that say there is no such a thing as Climate Change should read this thread! :help: 84 and Sunny, nice Clear, Breeezy Spring Day here in River City, a perfect day to welcome the UP 150th Anniversary Train to the Capitol of Texas!! :cool: (its actually 10-20 degrees Warmer than Normal for this time of year!)Glad to see the Northland is warming up, its time for Baseball!!! :wub:

Someone forgot to tell the Pacific Northwest about climate change! The last five years in a row I've seen the worst five springs I can remember here. The last two summers have been abnormally cool, too. In fact, since records have been kept in Spokane, starting in 1881, the April-July time period last year was the coldest ever in Spokane. This spring, as I said earlier, Washington alone among the lower 48 states was cooler than average, and here in my area shattered, and I mean SHATTERED, long-standing records for rainfall. Here so far in April not too bad, but I've seen a lot better. In the longer range-1 to 2 weeks-there is tentative mention of highs in the 70's. But I won't hold my breath either.

Sorry to turn this into the Weather Channel!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone forgot to tell the Pacific Northwest about climate change! The last five years in a row I've seen the worst five springs I can remember here. The last two summers have been abnormally cool, too. In fact, since records have been kept in Spokane, starting in 1881, the April-July time period last year was the coldest ever in Spokane. This spring, as I said earlier, Washington alone among the lower 48 states was cooler than average, and here in my area shattered, and I mean SHATTERED, long-standing records for rainfall. Here so far in April not too bad, but I've seen a lot better. In the longer range-1 to 2 weeks-there is tentative mention of highs in the 70's. But I won't hold my breath either.
It was the warmest March on record...except in Washington state! "A persistent weather pattern led to 25 states east of the Rockies having their warmest March on record. An additional 15 states had monthly temperatures ranking among their ten warmest. That same pattern brought cooler-than-average conditions to the West Coast states of Washington, Oregon, and California." http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/

201203-201203.gif

No, nobody forgot to include Pacific Northwest in the climate change. What you are witnessing is not unexpected. The word "global warming" is a misnomer. The correct term is "man-made climate change" and it includes extreme cooling too. While it is true that the average temperature of the Earth is going up due to greenhouse gases trapping sunlight, the overall effect is not only more heating. The overall result will be shift in climate pattern to a more extreme level in both directions- more heat and more cold. If you do a search on Google Scholar it will throw up several research papers on this topic. If you do not wish to dig deep into scientific literature, here is a more "mainstream" article on the phenomenon from The New York Times and here is one more from The Independent.

No, nobody forgot to include Pacific Northwest in the climate change. What you are witnessing is not unexpected. The word "global warming" is a misnomer. The correct term is "man-made climate change" and it includes extreme cooling too. While it is true that the average temperature of the Earth is going up due to greenhouse gases trapping sunlight, the overall effect is not only more heating. The overall result will be shift in climate pattern to a more extreme level in both directions- more heat and more cold. If you do a search on Google Scholar it will throw up several research papers on this topic. If you do not wish to dig deep into scientific literature, here is a more "mainstream" article on the phenomenon from The New York Times and here is one more from The Independent.

Not to worry, Texan. I was being facetious. <_< I'm just jealous because everyone else has had warm weather this spring so far and we haven't!!! We also haven't (and almost never have) had tornadoes either, so there's a tradeoff there, one I will take any day. I subscribe to AccuWeather and have been reading for years about climate change and the shift into much more of an extreme pattern than we've been seeing. So I'm not unmindful of all that, I'm just jealous!!!! :p

"What is your temperature where you are right now?" you ask. In the house my temperature is 98.6. Sometimes it is as low as 97 and as high as 99.2. When I'm doing lawn work outside it might go a little higher than that, but a spell in the shade with a gin and tonic gets it right back down where it should be.

54 degrees and overcast with sprinkles in Corvallis, OR. We've had the same cool, wet pattern as Washington state all spring.

Mark

A perfect 73 in Encinitas, California. Apparently while I was gone we actually got a ton of much needed rain! Who knew! I was worried about the temps in the NE as well, because my friend had track stuff to do after school today and the weather reports were not in her favor. Weather for the next week: highest foreseeable temp: 75 - lowest: 71. Now rinse and repeat, and you have our weather for the whole year!

Moncton, New Brunswick: 24C (75F)

Sunny and a perfect day for railfanning........Caught VIA's eastbound Ocean at noon then some freight action.
Off Topic:

Hey why don't you start a thread about VIA trains some of us New Englanders could come up and try out as day trips?

On Topic:

64 F. and sunny and light winds riding across West Penobscot Bay this afternoon in a 36' powerboat...

Richt now, it is 60. However, Monday it was ridiculous (I was sweating in a jacket and tie in spite of having pulled a short-sleeve dress shirt for the occasion)...Newport News recorded 86 Monday and 82 Tuesday; Norfolk hit 90 (which is where I was at the time).

On an amusing note, the hot, sunny weather seems to have induced a bit of sunburn in a club I was in. Apparently, folks went out sunbathing and forgot that it was...well, sunny, with all the risks lots of sun carry.

66 here in Northwest Iowa.
Hey, jebr, are you anywhere near Spencer? Hope you're not the guy or gal that threw Dewey in the book drop back in '87!
I think I'm an hour away from Spencer...college student here, so not firm on the distances yet.

And unless it was in my previous life, I didn't do anything in '87...I wasn't born until '92!

82 in Orlando now with low humidity. However, we may see a little rain this afternoon.

50 in PDX, headed for 55 with rain later today.

Here's proof of climate change: they're predicting a wet week with a dry weekend. In Oregon :giggle: in April, Hah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back