What's your fave part of a train ride

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The people, adventure, conversations, overheard conversations, memories, sleepless nights, gritty big cities, small towns, vast empty space ... I can't put my finger on it exactly. I love the whole atmosphere and always feel like a I go through a range of emotions when riding the train.
BY GEORGE I THINK YOU HAVE GOT IT., Best wording of my feelings too. I just wish I did not have to include a plane ride as a part of my rail trips.

Aloha

I guess my situation is somewhat different from most users on this Forum. I'm living at 10 minutes walking ( 3 minutes cycling) from the central railway station (we've got 4 stations on 150.000 inhabitants) where I can catch a train about every 15 minutes in any direction I want or need. We're brought up with using trains as an alternative for using cars. Every student in this country pays about $35 a year for a Public Transport Card (OV-jaarkaart) which entitles them to freely use every train, bus & tram in the country. We're a country of train commuters, so you never think in terms of "favorite parts" of your train ride. It's almost something you take for granted.

So what we're looking forward to are the 'special' rides we're going to do in the next couple of years: Amtrak next fall and, hopefully, the Trans-Siberia Express the year after. Most important thing for me is getting back to that old time feeling when in the seventies and eighties I enjoyed long - and sometimes very uncomfortable - train rides to Spain (Barcelona and beyond), the south of France, Athens-Greece etc.

Since then the Ryanairs and Easyjets of this world took over, so now it's time to get back to basic pleasure.

My favorite part of the NYC train ride is approaching the tunnel before Penn Station and you get this sweeping view of the entire island of Manhattan. NYC is still a far away city to me even though I have been there several times and it takes two and half hours from Aberdeen. I still notice the gap in the skyline that was the World Trade Center as I make that trip into NYC. It is also the quiet time to think and let the world pass you by instead of having to keep up with the World.

Three years ago I took my first vacation in many, many years. The Lake Shore Limited to the California Zepher to San Francisco. The train started to move and tons of thoughts went through my head. Could I really afford this trip, maybe I should have saved the money or made other plans or just not taken it. I had to say "settle down and enjoy". The excitement grew as we left PA Station and went under the city streets and got underway increasing as we left New York City. Finally to an all time high as we really got under way. So, the departure is just a pure rush and the thought of a new adventure is the best part of the trip

zepherdude

I'm joining this conversation late, so almost all of my favorites are already here.

One more thing...seeing the lights under the bridges in Cleveland and other cities. I think Toledo is another one. They have these colored lights that reflect on the water beneath. I love that!

Since I just got back from my first trip on Amtrak the best parts of the trip are:

People in the Diner

Laying on the bed looking watching the landscape go by

Hearing the horn

Sleeping on the train

Going to bed in Central Illinois where the landscape is brown and the temp is cold and waking up in Mississippi where the landscape is green and temps are warm. Its like you have been asleep for a month.

Nothing beats a train ride.

I like when you're going real fast and then hit smooth track. It makes this sound and I love it.

I also like when the train 'rocks' especially at night.

Love the cheese during the wine tasting.

The PPC

The horn!

Supper in the dining car on the SWC cruising down the center of the Foothills Expressway overlooking the LA basin at dusk.

The anticipation of the trip
actually getting onboard, knowing you're going somewhere!

The food

Meeting fellow Amtrak riders and the interesting stories and conversations that follow

The food

Scenery, particularly in the mountains

Traveling through busy railroad yards

The food

seeing some of the interesting old stations during lengthy stops

riding over or alongside a crowded, rush-hour, bumper-to bumper freeway :p

Waking up in the middle of the night, wondering where we are

Sitting in the very rear of the train and watching the front of the train as it rounds a sharp curve

The food

Oh, and did I mention the food??? ;)
AMEN to that And May 8 is coming soon. All aboard for me and my son!

Sleeping on the train, unquestionably. Particularly the sounds of the horn blasting for every crossing and the wheels going over a switch (I've always liked that sound for some reason), and the gentle (or violent, depending on who owns and maintains the track) rocking and swaying of the train as you're falling asleep.
Some of the best sleep I've ever had was onboard the train. I like the roomette on the superliner best so far. This May I get my first bedroom on the CZ. I've heard that room C is great choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back