Wine on Empire Builder?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I read somewhere on the internet that the Empire Builder Chicago to Seattle offers a free glass of champagne when boarding and/or a free wine tasting the second day. I am staying in a roomette. Should I expect or hope for either of these?

Yes. Your sleeping car attendant should provide you with those amenities, as well as scheduling your wine tasting on the second afternoon.

I've only gone from Portland to Chicago (not reverse). We did get champagne or sparkling apple cider at the beginning. There is a nice afternoon wine tasting (free for sleeping car passengers, $5 or something for coach). Quite a few bottles of wine (some unopened, some partially full) were given out as prizes. We won a bottle and took it to dinner in the dining car that evening.

[i misread the original post and have now corrected my reply.]

Last edited by a moderator:
From Portland to Seattle, you'd either be on the Cascades (no special wine tasting, but you can probably buy a bottle from the bistro car) or the Coast Starlight (which does have wine tasting in the Pacific Parlour car).

The Empire Builder offers a slightly different service, in that the sleeper passengers get a welcome kit that includes champagne (or sparkling cider).

Back in October, I traveled from Portland to LaCrosse, Wisconsin (it was supposed to be Chicago, but trackwork meant a bustitution). Shortly after boarding, our attendant dropped off two small bottles of champagne.

On the second day, I very much enjoyed the wine and cheese tasting in the dining car. I won a half-bottle of Pinot Grigiot, which I shared with my table mates at the tasting. The Riesling was by far my favorite. Also very nice was the "Purple Moon" cheddar, which is apparently soaked in an emulsion of red wine. Excellent stuff.

oh, I read the topic title wrong... I thought this was "Whine about the Empire Builder" :p

I've only gone from Portland to Seattle, but we didn't get champagne. There is a nice afternoon wine tasting (free for sleeping car passengers, $5 or something for coach).
As said, the Portland to Seattle run is on the Cascades, and there is no wine tasting. There is wine tasting in the Coast Starlight, but this is south of Portland, and costs $5 for sleeping car passengers and $10 for coach passengers. The wine tasting on the Empire Builder is FREE for sleeping car passengers - and not available at all for coach passengers!

Just finisheed thw wine tasting on today's #7. Had some really good wines from Washington state. No trivia today for some reason.

To the op: as others have mentioned already, you will receive a welcome drink as well as lots of mimosas throughout your journey, depending on your attendant.

The complimentary champagne is offered to sleeping car passengers that board at only the first few stops on day #1 out of Seattle, Portland and/or Chicago. Oftentimes there may be some extra, for passengers that board later, but not always. The Cheese & Wine tasting, for sleeping car passengers only, takes place at approximately 3:00pm on day #2, in the dining car. Must be 21+ to attend.

Must be 21+ to attend.
I'm on the + side of 21. Some on this forum are on the +++ side!
mosking.gif
(Although they sometimes act on the - side!
tongue.gif
)

I took the EB last fall from CHI to PDX, and had both the free champagne and the wine tasting event. The event was really fun and what I liked the best was how I got to know so many of the other sleeper passengers - a camaraderie formed which lasted through the trip. What fun!

Dont count on it , with all the the problems the EB has the wine tasting is first to

go if the train is messed up , which happens a lot!! We missed out on both a week ago

but we did get free water while stuck on a bus for 5 hours!!! :angry2:

Trainfan

Do they still give away yummy chocolate chip cookies? I won a bottle of wine on our Empire five years ago. We aren't drinkers. I think we gave it away.

No cookies yesterday.

Be up on current railroad events for the trivia contests. HINT: Amtrak anniversary (years and date) same with National Train Day (years and date). I won with Train day. They do have new wines and diffent cheese from last year. Enjoy the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back