Work at New York Penn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The layover of Crescent in WASH probably has the best ability to have an on time departure southbound from WASH. As well when any of the Crescent's sleepers needs to go to MIA that will be easy as well any V-2 diners to be attached to a southbound Meteor. Crescent Amfleets no problem servicing at Ivy City or Bear.

Crescent passengers are getting a bonus during this time as it appears that listed connections north of WASH are going to be on Acelas with what appears to be no fare difference. Someone needs to research that in more detail.

On another note the shortened or cancelled NEC regional trains may have their equipment added to other NEC trains so capacity may not be reduced ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The layover of Crescent in WASH probably has the best ability to have an on time departure southbound from WASH. As well when any of the Crescent's sleepers needs to go to MIA that will be easy as well any V-2 diners to be attached to a southbound Meteor. Crescent Amfleets no problem servicing at Ivy City or Bear.

Crescent passengers are getting a bonus during this time as it appears that listed connections north of WASH are going to be on Acelas with what appears to be no fare difference. Someone needs to research that in more detail.

On another note the shortened or cancelled NEC regional trains may have their equipment added to other NEC trains so capacity may not be reduced ?
From ATL-NYP on July 10th and 11th, the price appears to be $129.20 via a Regional and $288.00 via an Acela.

"brianpmcdonnell17"

From ATL-NYP on July 10th and 11th, the price appears to be $129.20 via a Regional and $288.00 via an Acela.
Is that Crescent BC to Acela BC ? And Crescent sleeper to Acela First ? Those are better comparsionss

I'm curious why the Crescent is the only train terminating/originating in DC, and not the Silvers/Cardinal. I'd imagine there's a reason, but that in particular piqued my interest as a one-time semi-frequent Crescent rider.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
According to postings by Thirdrail, our resident Amtrak expert, WAS is barely able to turn one LD train, so there is no question of turning multiple ones there. As for why the Crescent, apparently you get the maximum advantage in terms of reduced traffic at Penn Station at the most critical times by removing it from Penn Station for the time being, while incurring the least inconvenience all around.

Jis hit the nail on the head. Under normal operating conditions, if 20 arrives within tolerance in NYP, you have a lot of train in the station. Between 145pm and 220p, trains 19,20, 93,174, 235, 290, 647, 2110 and 2121 are all in the station. 235 is already on the chopping block but 19 and 20 have the most dwell time. They key to this whole operation is to reduce the dwell time in the station so track space is available. Personally, I would have preferred to see 647 removed from the picture.

19 might have a later departure time out of WAS so that would increase the margin of safety.

I'm not sure if that is a bonus. I'd prefer a sleeper without a transfer.

That is the plan. The leftover equipment will be used on other trains.

Amtrak appears to be allowing bookings for the some of the southbound LD and medium-distance trains within the corridor. This includes the Southbound Carolinian, Silver Star, and Silver Meteor. Bookings are still not allowed on the Cardinal for unknown reasons and the Crescent is excluded because of it's truncation at Washington. Bookings are still not permitted on any of the northbound versions of these trains, presumably due to the low OTP rates when compared to the Regionals and Acelas. Another change on the website is that the cancelled trains have disappeared entirely, rather than appearing as sold out as they previously did.

The southbound Carolinian has always allowed on corridor sales. They are adding a few stops to compensate for the loss of 183. Additional stops will be added to other trains to make up for missed stops. The notable exception is northbound passengers at Newark, Delaware.

They are reluctant to use the northbound long distance trains for OTP reasons.

If you look hard enough, you'll notice three less Keystones operating between PHL-NYP-PHL and you'll see one should turn in NWK.
Now that's a rare bird. I wonder when was the last time Amtrak operated a train that was scheduled to either begin or end its trip in NWK?

If you look hard enough, you'll notice three less Keystones operating between PHL-NYP-PHL and you'll see one should turn in NWK.
Now that's a rare bird. I wonder when was the last time Amtrak operated a train that was scheduled to either begin or end its trip in NWK?
Actually turning a push-pull consist in Newark is a little bit easier now ever since the two pocket tracks were commissioned at Hudson/Rea.

Hi -- so it looks like if I am reading this right, the Cardinal and certain other trains are impacted by this changes, correct?

Does anyone know what the plan may be for those of us who are handicapped and need assistance at the NYP?

My guess is that the track work may impact how the redcaps work, too....

Thanks!

-Jackie

Jackie, Idon think this will effect red caps. The track work involves repairing and upgrading tracks and switches. Iirc some platforms may be temporarily out of service. Thus the need to cut service in and out if nyp. When you travel the red caps will know where to take you to board strain.

I think linking 20 to 176 (along with 650's passengers at PHL) is a disaster waiting to happen. What is the backup plan if 20 is late? Are you putting them on 94? What happens to their luggage?? (Blank stares)
I assume that the baggage will be carried up on 92, which is an annoyance for many passengers. Would it be operationally possible to add a baggage car to 176 on the affected days? When I travel on this routing next month I plan to spend the day around NYC and go back to NYP around 7:30 to claim my bags and get an LIRR connection. Hopefully it works better than last time, when my luggage arrived in NYP the day before me. It was placed in the lost and found, where I assumed it would be. However, I was not told that it would not be open when I arrived on 64. Following this, the employee at lost and found insisted it was at the baggage claim area, where I checked and ended up filing a missing bag report. I returned to lost and found later, where they continued to deny that the bags were there despite the fact that I could see them behind the counter.

I think linking 20 to 176 (along with 650's passengers at PHL) is a disaster waiting to happen. What is the backup plan if 20 is late? Are you putting them on 94? What happens to their luggage?? (Blank stares)
I had that thought as well. 94 is a train I avoid like the plague. ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS SRO. Last time I rode 94 I was on the Head end and getting off at PHL it was a mob scene for folks getting on and off.

I assume that the baggage will be carried up on 92, which is an annoyance for many passengers. Would it be operationally possible to add a baggage car to 176 on the affected days? When I travel on this routing next month I plan to spend the day around NYC and go back to NYP around 7:30 to claim my bags and get an LIRR connection. Hopefully it works better than last time, when my luggage arrived in NYP the day before me. It was placed in the lost and found, where I assumed it would be. However, I was not told that it would not be open when I arrived on 64. Following this, the employee at lost and found insisted it was at the baggage claim area, where I checked and ended up filing a missing bag report. I returned to lost and found later, where they continued to deny that the bags were there despite the fact that I could see them behind the counter.
176 is a LYH-BOS train. In theory, they could add the bag when they swap the engines. However, that would mean the bag would have to stay until BOS. That probably wouldn't be the end of the world assuming there is a bag to to make the trip, but that adds one more car to the consist when there is already a limitation in Boston. You'd sacrifice coach seating for bag service on a train that is usually quite busy...without 20's or 650's passengers.

Will the Crescent go from 4 to 3 consists during the truncation, there is plenty of time for same day turnaround in DC eliminating a trainset?
Yes. Washington doesn't really have the room to store it during the day, so it'll be a same day turn in the S&I.

Any idea what the extra Crescent set will be used for?
Pure speculation.

With a spare V-1 sleeper make it 3 sleepers on Crescent. But that is not good for lack of demand south of ATL. Now extra coach on Crescent does make sense.

Extra sleeper on Cardinal ? Probably not enough traffic.

Extra coach on Meteor now that sounds promising during summer peak season. May be with couple spare V-1sleepers add another sleeper to Meteor ?

Diner ? One less Heritage diner in rotation maybe using it as spare somewhere.

EDIT:

Afterthought if Crescent had an added V-1 sleeper maybe it would be financially positive to make 2 sleepers be cut off cars at ATL. Probably not enough time to implement ?

Not that it will happen, but running the Crescent to and from WAS only, means it COULD be equipped with Superliners.

Ken
Just for the sake of argument, where are you gonna get 35 or so Superliners to do that?

The short turn at Washington is only temporary anyway, of course.

Back