Work at New York Penn

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that it will happen, but running the Crescent to and from WAS only, means it COULD be equipped with Superliners.

Ken
Just for the sake of argument, where are you gonna get 35 or so Superliners to do that?

The short turn at Washington is only temporary anyway, of course.
You're right that is extremely unlikely, but it is interesting that it is possible. This means that in a situation where something delays 20 by many hours and the eastbound CL arrives ontime, Superliner equipment could be operated for a round-trip on the Crescent (and single-level equipment on the CL). A similar situation caused the Cardinal to use Superliners a few years ago. I believe that was due to the sudden re-opening of the line following a freight derailment.

Except then there is no equipment to operate the Cap back westbound while it's equipment takes a tour of the south.

In the example you're thinking of, the Superliner Cardinal originated in CHI since there wasn't a Cardinal set on hand and CHI has a bunch of Superliner equipment on hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Except then there is no equipment to operate the Cap back westbound while it's equipment takes a tour of the south.

In the example you're thinking of, the Superliner Cardinal originated in CHI since there wasn't a Cardinal set on hand and CHI has a bunch of Superliner equipment on hand.
It is an unlikely scenario. However, if something were to occur where 20 could reach DC but EXTREMELY delayed than it could occur (for example a 24 hour late train). The consist of the arriving 30 usually sits in DC for more than 24 hours, so the Crescent's consist could arrive in time for 29.

Not that it will happen, but running the Crescent to and from WAS only, means it COULD be equipped with Superliners.

Ken
Personally, I would not like to see that, even if it were possible...

As a matter of fact, I would like to see the Capitol run with single-level equipment...and for that matter, only run Superliner's on western long distance trains.

It is kind of neat, when you are on a transcontinental journey, from East to West, and transition from single-level equipment to Superliner's for the western leg of your trip. The variation adds to the interest. Not to mention, the efficiency of keeping all similar type equipment at maintenance bases.

Also the ease of merging the Pennsylvanian with the Capitol at Pittsburgh, and even the possibility of extending the Capitol to New York, similar to the Cardinal, although they might want to wye it before or after leaving WAS, so less likely to happen......

It is an unlikely scenario. However, if something were to occur where 20 could reach DC but EXTREMELY delayed than it could occur (for example a 24 hour late train). The consist of the arriving 30 usually sits in DC for more than 24 hours, so the Crescent's consist could arrive in time for 29.
You're correct, *A* Crescent will arrive, but not *THE* Crescent that has the Superliner equipment. That won't be back for a few more days. That would make for a mighty late 29.

Not to mention unexpectedly changing equipment messes up the reservations due to different capacities of the cars. There was an oddity where the Crescent was made up of Superliner spares in New Orleans when the southbound didn't arrive in time to turn for the north bound. The train truncated in DC and the equipment was dead headed back.

You're correct, *A* Crescent will arrive, but not *THE* Crescent that has the Superliner equipment. That won't be back for a few more days. That would make for a mighty late 29.
That is why I stated that single-level equipment would be used on the CL in such a case.

That is why I stated that single-level equipment would be used on the CL in such a case.
I'm sorry but that's just dumb. Why would Amtrak take Superliner's from a Superliner equipped train and swap it with single levels.

The people booked in bedroom C, D, E, roomette a 11-14, and the Family room over the following few days may take issue with that.

With this lasting for two months it would be worth while to break up the 4th trainset for added capacity on other trains....
There's only so much that you can yield from breaking up the set. Remember, you've created an orphan set with no protection that travels to another area without protection. The diner situation is still critical so this will help alleviate some of the strain. Therefore, I expect to see a viewliner, an AM-2 and a diner left in WAS as protection. The rest can be dispersed throughout the system.

My son who uses NJT mid-town direct service from Morristown says service has become 'unbearable' and now drives into Manahhatan. Sept 1 can't come soon enough.

I'm greatly concerned about this line of thinking. I hope that people haven't deluded themselves into thinking that the delays around the NYT district will magically disappear after this track work is complete. All this will do is refresh some of the components of the infrastructure. It does nothing to address the fact that the station is still working above capacity, the infrastructure leading up to it as well as the power systems range from 86 to 105 years old and as long as that is the case, delays will not go away.

According to the most recent leaks, the answer is "No". MNRR actually does not have all that many dual modes to spare from its own schedule.

Amtrak trains will be running on the two center tracks in the Park Avenue Tunnels, where locomotives without nose doors for emergency escape can be used, using its own P32ACDMs fitted with MNRR compliant 3rd rail shoes.

BTW, there is not much ion that article that is new and that has not been discussed at length already in this thread.

Here is a more comprehensive article from NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/12/nyregion/lirr-train-schedule-penn-station-repairs.html?_r=0

And the truth be known, it's not unknown for them to run the trains all the way into GCT under diesel power, legal or not...

Back in the FL-9 era, that occurred often...

And the truth be known, it's not unknown for them to run the trains all the way into GCT under diesel power, legal or not...

Back in the FL-9 era, that occurred often...
As I understand it, the law is about Steam, and does not say much about Diesel. There are railroad regulations that lay down procedures for running live diesel into GCT. But I could be wrong of course. ;)

Correct, there is no law, preventing diesel operations, but MN rules state that entering the GCT/park avenue complex in diesel needs permission from operations center for revenue trains.

MN demands electric operations unless its failure or emergency.

The Amtrak trains are scheduled revenue trains.

one or two sets of MN third rail gear were loaned to Amtrak for this, one was spare set, other came of a MN unit that will be out for long term overhaul.

the trains involved are :230/233 -- 236/235 -- 242/239.

I thought there was also talk of combining outbound maple leaf and adirondack until Albany , is this no longer under consideration?

I thought there was also talk of combining outbound maple leaf and adirondack until Albany , is this no longer under consideration?

It is under consideration but there are numerous issues that may not get solved by the time this kicks in.

I believe a test train to GCT is heading to GCT in the immediate future.

Back