ACS-64 Heads Up

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some vandals placed debris on the tracks which resulted in damage to the 619. They were caught. I hope they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and since this is Rhode Island, things won't go well for them.
Just curios I heard that the train stopped in Attleboro, MA.. Just over the state line.

Did the train hit the obstruction in RI???

Do they still use the old locomotives (AEM-7) after they have been replaced? Are they kept in a yard as backups? Are they sold to other railroads? Are they used for parts? Or do they get scrapped?
I believe all but 2 have been retired and those 2 are on loan to MARC (Maryland's transportation agency).
What happens to the locomotives once they are retired?

They generally move to Palm Desert, drink copious amounts of bad wine, play golf poorly and pester the waitresses at the 19th Hole Bar.

Do they still use the old locomotives (AEM-7) after they have been replaced? Are they kept in a yard as backups? Are they sold to other railroads? Are they used for parts? Or do they get scrapped?
I believe all but 2 have been retired and those 2 are on loan to MARC (Maryland's transportation agency).

In all seriousness, they are mothballed until the leases expire, then they can be salvaged for any reusable parts and then scrapped.

They generally move to Palm Desert, drink copious amounts of bad wine, play golf poorly and pester the waitresses at the 19th Hole Bar.

They'll either be scrapped, sold to other railroads, or possibly preserved. So far, one has been preserved in the RR Museum of PA.

They'll either be scrapped, sold to other railroads, or possibly preserved. So far, one has been preserved in the RR Museum of PA.
You're close to right.. As Fan Railer said 2 Minutes Before you posted, so you get credit for posting while Fan Railer was posting.. Since the AC units are under a lease just like the HHP's they will sit Mothballed. IINM they will also have to undergo their normal 92 day inspections.

664 has been stubborn since being released for Revenue Service. I believe she's broke down twice since being Accepted. She didn't even make it a week.. 3 days to be exact. :eek:
And we know who's fault that is, don't we. They should renumber it 66.....

I caught AMTK 669 on Amtrak #6(23) both as it came into and as it left Ottumwa, Iowa Monday morning. I tried something new for the first video. If you watch carefully, you'll also see a steam engine and (if only for a second at 1:17) a caboose.

I caught AMTK 669 on Amtrak #6(23) both as it came into and as it left Ottumwa, Iowa Monday morning. I tried something new for the first video. If you watch carefully, you'll also see a steam engine and (if only for a second at 1:17) a caboose.

I never noticed the steam locomotive.

I played it a couple times and missed it too.

I saw a steam locomotive working in Belgrade Serbia one time, very impressive. It was night and steam was like out of a movie.

Now that we are to 669 it would seem that we are close to closing out the buy. They are going to 670 since they skipped the number that shall not be named, right?

Any chance that they will buy another after SEPTA gets theirs, to replace 601? Or will 601 be coming back? Sorry if this was covered already, I didn't see it. I searched and saw it mentioned in 3 threads but the last word I saw was that it was still in the impound area for the NTSB and that it might not be released for years, even for parts if it is not repairable.

On edit: Ok, now I see it at 2:18, I was looking in the wrong spot. Nice. Reminds me of the steam engine at Havre Montana. That is a cool display, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steam engine is at 2:18 (near the end just before the train stops at the station). It's not on active tracks.

That's C B & Q Hudson 3001. 3003 is next to the depot in Burlington. When I was a boy, an old timer told me he had one of those Hudsons up to 120 MPH one time!

#666 right? A bunch of nonsense. Yes, I know 666 is the devil's number, but why would that make such a bad idea to number a loco #666?

It's been amply discussed in this very thread, feel free to go back and read.

Edit: Try around page 85. You even participated in the discussion.

Either that or 666, 667, 668, and 669 to go.

Obviously you've missed the posts where there will be a 670, therefore one of the other numbers will be skipped. Guess which one.

Why the heck would they skip 666?

Silly superstitious people.

because some people believe that 666 is "the mark of the beast."

<-- The steam engine is right here. And and at 2:17 in the first video. I should have had the time marked in the first post.

A person recorded a web camera showing AMTK 669 heading east on the Capitol Limited through Chesterson, Indiana yesterday. They also had a microphone recording on their computer too.

The penultimate ACS-64 delivery!

By the way, superstitions are not bogus. My wife and I were at the Final Four in Houston for Villanova. When VU beat Oklahoma in the semi's, our entire area agreed to wear the same clothes on Monday for the final against North Carolina - and I mean the EXACT same clothes. We all did. Villanova won. Just sayin'. ;)

Back