Amtrak changes website look

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just saw it and it's impressive. I like it, but I think it has some problems that need to be worked out.

When putting in a round trip ticket, you can view the availability of the departure, but it doesn't let you click on the return trip.

There might be other problems as well.

Otherwise, it's a lot nicer than the old one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just saw it and it's impressive. I like it, but I think it has some problems that need to be worked out.
When putting in a round trip ticket, you can view the availability of the departure, but it doesn't let you click on the return trip.
Playing around with it now you have to select your outward journey option then add it to your cart before it offers a return journey option.

Certainly seems a bit more user friendly than the horrible effort that went before.

Looks good. I wish the reservation application could offer "flexible dates" or "+/- 1-3 days" options, though. :)

The new website does look nice however it did not recognize my password when I tried to log in. I clicked "forgot password" and it sent me the password that it would not recognize. I called, they sent me to an internet rep who had me fill out a profile rest request. Jiml they fixed it, it works now.

I was able to login and purchase tickets, the new option for room selection is nice. It includes how many rooms left, thats helpful info.

Very nice, they will get the bugs worked out. I really like how you can enter a departure station and it suggests the full name automatically...similar to the way orbitz and other travel websites work.

Have to agree, the new site looks great. There are bugs, which weren't unexpected from what I've heard, but those will be worked out. Rumor is the multi-day low fare finder is in the pipeline and had to be held back from this release at the last moment due to server load issues. All in all, a much needed update when compared against the competition.

Rafi

Looks good. I wish the reservation application could offer "flexible dates" or "+/- 1-3 days" options, though. :)
They really need to add this feature, you still have to select individual dates to try and find the cheapest price for a week.

One little pet peeve of mine still exists, which is really more a reservations system issue than a website issue (thought the new website makes it a bit more obvious than the old one, when there was even some debate on this list about whether those reporting the issue were just misreading things).

To demonstrate, on the reservations page, pick CHI-DET on December 20, 2009.

The first one that shows up is train 350 for $41. Select the option for "1 business class seat" (Add $12.00). The fare changes to $53. Click "Add to cart" and the fare becomes $75.

To their credit, at least they put "Estimated" next to the fare, and clicking on that brings up a disclaimer saying that the base fare may change ("In most cases the fare will be lower"). Still, business class pricing is one case where the rail fare can go up when adding an accommodation.

They really need to add this feature, you still have to select individual dates to try and find the cheapest price for a week.
I am sure they will; I work in web design and you don't want to roll out too much at once especially with an overhaul like this. Better to do incremental changes and improvements to avoid any meltdowns. But you are right...that feature should be a high priority and I think it would help those who don't use Amtrak frequently realize the price can be competitive if you adjust your dates by a few days.

I noticed how you can sort possible itineraries by duration time now. I am sure that will be a big hit with some folks on here...the_traveler comes to mind! :D

I noticed how you can sort possible itineraries by duration time now. I am sure that will be a big hit with some folks on here...the_traveler comes to mind! :D
That depends ... do they allow you to reverse-sort, so the longest itinerary is at the top of the list? :lol:

I liked the old way where you could check train status without having to click on a tab to get to it. Still, the tab-click step is easy to find and do.

That depends ... do they allow you to reverse-sort, so the longest itinerary is at the top of the list? :lol:
LOL Good point - you have to click to get to the last page if there are many trains. But still, if there's a will there's a way! :)

LOL Good point - you have to click to get to the last page if there are many trains. But still, if there's a will there's a way! :)
I would like to be able to make all my reservations at once and then put them in my cart and check out ONCE - not have to enter my credit card #, confirm email address, etc. all that each time for every reservation. I make weekly reservations 2 months out at a time, so this would make it much better!

Last edited:
I would like to be able to make all my reservations at once and then put them in my cart and check out ONCE - not have to enter my credit card #, confirm email address, etc. all that each time for every reservation. I make weekly reservations 2 months out at a time, so this would make it much better!
That's a good point. The "cart" doesn't work like the shopping cart at a typical online store. You can't add a trip, go back, shop for more trips, and reserve them all at once. Each trip still has to be its own separate booking.

It works on my Iphone!!! Nice. I only did a one way test reservation. But it was much easier than the mobile website that was used before. Note that if you have the old website as a favorite on your iphone, that will still show up if you use that favorite. You have to create a new favorite.

One of the itineraries the new website offered me from Denver to Emeryville:

amtrak_weird_itinerary.jpg

Clearly, there are still some bugs that need to be worked out.

One of the itineraries the new website offered me from Denver to Emeryville:
amtrak_weird_itinerary.jpg

Clearly, there are still some bugs that need to be worked out.
I think someone had that same itinerary with the old web site.

Its for the bus lovers. :lol:

I was able to login and purchase tickets, the new option for room selection is nice. It includes how many rooms left, thats helpful info.
When you mention the new option for room selection above, do you mean that we can choose the actual roomette/bedroom number we want? Does it allow you to choose the car # too? Thanks!

Anyone know if there is a plan to allow a user to book a specific room in a sleeper? It would certainly be nice to be able to select the room you wish rather than take what they give you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back