Bedroom price vs. first class airfare

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't mind paying a subsidy for the coach folks though i think they could more efficently be transported by bus but i don't think we need to pay a subsidy for those in the sleepers. perhaps they recieve slightly less of a subsidy than coach passengers but i don't know as they need one at all.
So you'd rather be paying a higher subsidy for those in coach by eliminating the sleepers entirely, than to pay a lower subsidy per person for everyone to move from point a to b? :eek:

Again, it's not just the sleeper pax that are getting a lower railfare subsidy because of how much they pay, those sleeper pax are reducing the subsidy for those in coach too! Take away the sleeper subsidy, by removing the sleepers, and the subsidy per person in coach goes higher.
i don't particularly want to eliminate sleepers just the subsidy we pay for travel for sleeper passengers. make them pay the full non taxpayer supported cost of their travel as generally they can afford it.
AlanB already proved to you that taxpayers aren't subsidizing sleeping cars. And you even said it yourself. So the sleeper pax are already paying their full cost of operating the sleeping cars, and then some!

I did a calculation a few months ago and forgot what the actual numbers were and I don't have time to go digging, so I'm going to guess: Only about 10% of Amtrak's LD passengers are sleeping car passengers, but they provide something like 30 or 40% of the revenue for the LD trains. Again, I can't remember the actual numbers but it's something like that. Getting rid of sleepers would get rid of something like 30 to 40% of the revenue!

Here's the quote from earlier in this thread:

Myth!
It has been well documented that sleeper passengers pay fully for their ammenities. No subsidies are being used to operate the sleepers. The only subsidy that a sleeper passenger gets is that which a coach passenger gets, namely the rail fare subsidy. And in fact, as shown in the study done by NARP, the subsidy to coach passengers would actually be slightly higher but for incremental profits earned by the sleepers; the subsidy per passenger mile with sleepers $0.1870, take away the profit from the sleeper and the subsidy would be $0.1888.

So while the claim that it's for the rich might still stand, the reality is that the sleepers are reducing the overall taxpayer subsidies to all passengers riding Amtrak; not increasing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
i don't mind paying a subsidy for the coach folks though i think they could more efficently be transported by bus but i don't think we need to pay a subsidy for those in the sleepers. perhaps they recieve slightly less of a subsidy than coach passengers but i don't know as they need one at all.
So you'd rather be paying a higher subsidy for those in coach by eliminating the sleepers entirely, than to pay a lower subsidy per person for everyone to move from point a to b? :eek:

Again, it's not just the sleeper pax that are getting a lower railfare subsidy because of how much they pay, those sleeper pax are reducing the subsidy for those in coach too! Take away the sleeper subsidy, by removing the sleepers, and the subsidy per person in coach goes higher.
i don't particularly want to eliminate sleepers just the subsidy we pay for travel for sleeper passengers. make them pay the full non taxpayer supported cost of their travel as generally they can afford it.
Given the numbers from AlanB and others, it is quite clear that Amtrak would be better off eliminating coach and making the trains all sleepers.

What kind of meal is served in a first class flight from LAX to ORD? Certainly not anything close to the steak that Amtrak serves... and Amtrak serves you that at least 4 times plus breakfasts and lunch

If it takes four steak dinners worth of time to get from CHI to LAX, it's going to take a lot more than good food to get me back on another train in the future.
Well then you're not traveling for the trip, you're traveling for the destination... which is a perfectly valid reason, but you still need to include all those meals if you are going to compare pricing.

How is the scenery at 30,000 feet?

Given the numbers from AlanB and others, it is quite clear that Amtrak would be better off eliminating coach and making the trains all sleepers.
Why must the solution be some ridiculous extreme?

I would suspect there are some instances where a businessman would welcome the opportunity to work in an environment for a couple days where he is not interrupted, while en route to or from a conference or whatever........

I have bad Knees and ail be dammed if My next trip to LA is my bus . Most of YOU are older much older do you want to be on a Bus for 19 H NO !

I did teh bus Today . its not bad for inter city like 100 M or so but over 3 Hours and you are In for some Serious leg pain .

Keep it the way it is ! . its Broken from a ideal world standpoint . but Il bet its the best they can do .

Amtrak will NEVER be a cash cow but cutting any thing is just a bad idea as SOME OF US RELY ON IT .

the day I can catch a 737 from Ottumwa Il have no need for a train .

I get the " Oh just drive " . I CANT . want to SUBSIDIZE my r 1.5 cab ride to Desmoins ! NO .

not every one has the option to fly or drive .

Keep the coach .

w what they are doing is called a LOSS LEADER . its done at just about evey retail store in the US .

Oh heck the wallmart here does it !

the can Cut super costs on some items and make up the money in sheer bulk saies on other items .

cutting coach is BAD but adding MORE Sleepers to get to where the market wil filll them is not a bad idea .

the ratio is Sleep to coach is how much amtrak can make Off teh net train total .

at some point they can maximize there profits ( Min Loss in the system )

peter

The only subsidy that a sleeper passenger gets is that which a coach passenger gets, namely the rail fare subsidy.
why not eliminate this subsidy?
I think whoever spends $3,556 to travel SPK-PDX-LAX (the OP's example) isn't getting much of a subsidy. I'm all for maximizing sleeper revenue, but it seems perverse to set prices so high that rooms run empty, just to eliminate a notional subsidy.

What kind of meal is served in a first class flight from LAX to ORD? Certainly not anything close to the steak that Amtrak serves... and Amtrak serves you that at least 4 times plus breakfasts and lunch
While I haven't taken domestic first class from Lax to Chi, the food is probably better than the nasty amtrak steak I had this year on the SWC that was full of gristle and completely overcooked to well done when I requested rare. Disgusting.

I found this on the american airlines website, sounds like the food is pretty good:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/duringFlight/dining/domesticMealService.jsp

Domestic Features

* Grilled barbecue chicken salad garnished with bleu cheese and spiced pecans

* Artichoke mezzaluna pasta

Why must the solution be some ridiculous extreme?
Just to illustrate the logical conclusion of this kind of proposal.
The conclusion is only "logical" to those who misunderstand the facts.

The only subsidy that a sleeper passenger gets is that which a coach passenger gets, namely the rail fare subsidy.
why not eliminate this subsidy?
I think whoever spends $3,556 to travel SPK-PDX-LAX (the OP's example) isn't getting much of a subsidy. I'm all for maximizing sleeper revenue, but it seems perverse to set prices so high that rooms run empty, just to eliminate a notional subsidy.
The problem with this entire discussion is that the discussion is centered around the idea of a subsidy "per passenger."

No such subsidy exists.

The train costs X to run. Much of that is spent whether you have nobody on the train or 400 people on the train.

Then there are step costs that are fixed across a certain range, but may go up or down if that range is exceeded (adding an extra coach, for example).

There are other costs associated with certain service levels (running a dining car vs. a lounge-only train).

To offset those costs, you need revenues. Most of those revenues will come from the passengers who buy tickets. There are very few cases where the marginal cost of transporting an individual passenger exceeds the revenue from that passenger.

It is also absolutely ridiculous to suggest that any train in the system would do better financially if it carried fewer passengers.

You really can't say you are going to "eliminate the subsidy" for a certain passenger or a certain group of passengers. The subsidy is for the train, not the passenger. The passengers offset the subsidy with ticket revenues. For those who want to "eliminate the subsidy," what they are really saying is "eliminate the train." If the fares were to increase to the level required (under current ridership) to cover the full cost of operation, the effect would be a reduction in ridership and revenue that would greatly exceed whatever is gained from the fare increase. (I will note the irony that there are folks who complain about Amtrak fares, particularly sleeper fares, being "too high" and then, at the same time, say we should not subsidize sleeper travel, ignoring the painfully obvious reality that lowering the fares on a service that is already frequently sold out increases the overall loss for the service, thereby increasing the subsidy required to keep the train running...simple arithmetic, people).

The figure of "subsidy per passenger" (or "subsidy per passenger-mile") or any other hybrid of total current loss and current ridership numbers is not a valid tool for planning. The only thing it is useful for is cheap shots by politicians and anyone else who wants to campaign against passenger rail. If you really want to make an honest financial analysis of the service with the intent of finding ways to improve it, then you must understand that the subsidy per user number is a byproduct of the financial performance, and not an actual input into the equation.

While I haven't taken domestic first class from Lax to Chi, the food is probably better than the nasty amtrak steak I had this year on the SWC that was full of gristle and completely overcooked to well done when I requested rare. Disgusting.

I found this on the american airlines website, sounds like the food is pretty good:

http://www.aa.com/i1...MealService.jsp

Domestic Features

I've been quite happy with the steak on the Cap. Ltd. It's no Ruth's Chris, but it's pretty good.

Domestic Features

I've been quite happy with the steak on the Cap. Ltd. It's no Ruth's Chris, but it's pretty good.
Seconded. The steak that I had on the Silver Star was one of the best steaks that I've ever had, cooked to perfection just on the rare side of mid rare.

Perhaps I got a bad piece of meat and a chef that wasn't properly trained. It seems like the only solution will be another LD train ride - immediately - with an order of steak in the dining car. I do have some AGR points burning a hole in my account.... :p

Yes, clearly more data is needed! :D

(I don't doubt the veracity of the story, eating in the Diner can be a little bit like playing the lotto sometimes - you never know what you're going to get!)

Well, to add a data point, I had steak aboard both the SWC and the EB last month. The SWC was excellent--one of the better steaks I've had, period. The EB was fair-to-good.

It is also absolutely ridiculous to suggest that any train in the system would do better financially if it carried fewer passengers.

You really can't say you are going to "eliminate the subsidy" for a certain passenger or a certain group of passengers. The subsidy is for the train, not the passenger. The passengers offset the subsidy with ticket revenues.
Ha: selling tickets as a way to subsidize subsidies. What a world...

Well, to add a data point, I had steak aboard both the SWC and the EB last month. The SWC was excellent--one of the better steaks I've had, period. The EB was fair-to-good.
Let me add 15 data points from this year alone:

-Meteor dinners this year: I've had about 8 of them...all but one were excellent steak dinners. In the one outlying instance, the steak was overcooked.

-LSL dinner, NYP-CHI: Another solid steak.

-SWC dinners, CHI-FLG: Excellent braised beef, excellent salmon.

-SWC dinners, LAX-KCY: Excellent salmon (IIRC), solid steak (IIRC).

-TE dinner, STL-DAL: Amazing ribs.

As a rule, the turkey dinner they offer at the holidays is solid as well (add two bouts of this at Christmas, 2010 and an additional steak outbound, again IIRC). The crabcakes on the Cap have always been a solid selection as well (I never had one I regretted).

For FY11, I've had (by my count) 17 dinners and 16 were solid. As to breakfast...I stay away from the scrambled eggs, but the French Toast is always an excellent choice when coupled with an order of bacon and a glass of milk.

Domestic Features

Seconded. The steak that I had on the Silver Star was one of the best steaks that I've ever had, cooked to perfection just on the rare side of mid rare.
I haven't had AA's domestic FC food but I have sampled their international coach entrees a few times and they weren't any good. Lots of mystery meat and overcooked veggies and frozen personal pizzas and the like. About as far from fresh as you can get. Worse than Amtrak by far and the "Flagship Service" menu they handed out just made it all the more laughable. The one and only airline meal I was ever impressed with was on Thai Airways. Everything else has been borderline terrible. I would imagine AA's FC food is better but I hardly ever fly first class so I'm the wrong person to talk to about that. I'm perfectly willing to pay extra for E+ or the like, but that's it. When I'm on a short flight I don't need a meal and when I'm on a long flight all I want to do is take some sleeping pills, have a few drinks, and crash out. There's not much to see or do on an airplane so I want the trip to be over and done as quickly as possible.

Getting back to Amtrak, I did notice that the last steak dinner I had was not nearly as bad as the one before it. I'm not sure what exactly was different, but the taste and the texture of the steak was substantially improved. Maybe all these name changes they've been propagating actually mean something. I'm tempted to say I was almost impressed. Unfortunately my potential for culinary enjoyment was brought back down with powdered potatoes and a soggy vegetable medley on a cheap plastic plate. You get the feeling that a good meal is only a few steps away, but it just never quite gets there. -_-

I don't eat much steak, preferring seafood or poultry, but last year on the Sunset Limited my wild streak came out :lol: and I had the steak one night. And I really enjoyed it! This coming from someone who doesn't eat steak too often and in fact, don't care for it all that much.

I'll take Amtrak chow ANY day over ANY airline slung chow.
I can think of several airlines of which I will take the International Business Class food any day over typical Amtrak Diner fare. But then I would expect it to be that good too considering the fare payed.

I can think of several airlines of which I will take the International Business Class food any day over typical Amtrak Diner fare. But then I would expect it to be that good too considering the fare payed.
I'm guessing it's a few of the Middle Eastern show-off carriers (like Emirates and their sleeper jets)?

Another thing to consider between Amtrak and airplane travel, is that while your airplane might get you there in a fraction of the time and cost a couple of hundred dollars less depending on the route, if you're heading on vacation you have to pay for hotels when you get there on top of the airplane travel. I've yet to enjoy travel in a sleeper but if the option was coast to coast on Amtrak in sleeper (3/4 nights on train all meals inc) or a first class plane ticket (7 hours from LAX-JFK?) plus hotel bills on top, i'd much rather take Amtrak every single time :)

Also i really enjoyed the steaks i had on the Sunset Limited and the Empire Builder last year ^_^

I'm guessing it's a few of the Middle Eastern show-off carriers (like Emirates and their sleeper jets)?
Actually, I'd take even Continental's international Business First (with lie-flat bed accommodation) food service over Amtrak's food service anyday both in terms of quality, presentation and variety and also the quality and consistency of service.

I am not talking of outfits like Singapore Airlines which actually has a large menu which you can select specific dishes from upto 24 hours before departure for your various meals and enter them via the web into your PNR, and they will deliver the individualized dishes for your meals. This turns out to be really nice on the 19 hour non-stop flight from Newark to Singapore for example. That is in the same running time category as the Lake Shore Limited. In addition to the food they have a very well stocked buffet laid out at the rear of the plane where you can walk over to any time and partake of whatever you like, including some really good booze. And mind you this is just Business Class. Frist Class Suites are a different matter altogether, both in price and sesvice.

Incidentally, one can at least enjoy the lie-flat bed/seats on several domestic flights that are continuation of international 757 flights from Europe. Typically there are 3 or 4 Newark - Miami or Newark - Orlando flights on which if you get an upgrade or are booked in domestic first class you will actually get international BusinessFirst lie-flat bed seats. The food is only domestic first class, though, which BTW is not bad at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back