Bonus Points Now On Sale

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I purchased the 10,000 points plus 5,000 bonus points. The purchase showed up immediately under "My recent transactions", but not at the top in the total of points next to my name. How long does the total take to show on my page?

Didn't get an email. :( AGR Insider said he "fixed" my eamil problem. Maybe I'll check with him again.
Or maybe you're simply not targeted. Do you want him to "fix" that as well?
NO! It's just that I recently contacted him because I have gotten NO emails from AGR since I signed up back in 2011. He said my email address was flagged as being not valid and he unflagged it. I'm not asking for favoritism, Mr, Cynical.
Funny, I was told the same thing about my email address!

Didn't get an email. :( AGR Insider said he "fixed" my eamil problem. Maybe I'll check with him again.
Or maybe you're simply not targeted. Do you want him to "fix" that as well?
NO! It's just that I recently contacted him because I have gotten NO emails from AGR since I signed up back in 2011. He said my email address was flagged as being not valid and he unflagged it. I'm not asking for favoritism, Mr, Cynical.
Funny, I was told the same thing about my email address!
He asked if I had another email address I could try, and luckily I did have one that I have not used in a few years. That one seems to be working as I have gotten two promos since he changed the email address over the weekend.

Am I the only one who thinks it's blatantly unfair for Amtrak to offer "special" 30-50% bonus points deals to some AGR members and not to everyone? The AGR Service Agreement doesn't mention special privileges for anyone other than the three Select Member levels, and AGR telephone reps can't explain why most regular members have been excluded from the current, early 2014 bonus points offer. I don't just think it's unfair, I think it's probably illegal for a government-funded agency to bestow special financial benefits to some and deny the same to others. Five thousand free bonus points times our three family members with AGR accounts is worth a $500-$600 Florida to NY trip in a roomette. What makes some members deserving of a $600 free benefit that the rest of us chumps can't have???

Whether or not it's unfair, AGR is a private company and not controlled by Amtrak.
This isn't Correct Jeff, AGR IS Part of Amtrak! It's buypoints.com that is the Private for Profit Company!
Thanks, Jim! Your info led me to Points.com, a publicly traded Canadian company that manages the Buy/Redeem/Share points programs for 45 large corporations, including Amtrak. NOW I understand why my bonus points for car rentals, luggage purchases, etc. always seem to get "lost", requiring me to call AGR for assistance. They always refer my inquiry to "another department" for resolution -- which I'm now sure is Points.com. The "Marketing Department" to which AGR has recently referred my complaint regarding the 30-50% bonus for bought points is undoubtedly also Points.com. Looking through the list of 45 Points corporate customers, I believe that Amtrak is the only federally funded one (to the tune of over 1 billion $/ year) and the only one that should not be practicing discriminatory bonus offers (in the form of test marketing) to Amtrak's single class of Members. I'm very glad to have this information for my future communications with Mr. Boardman and the Amtrak Board of Directors. It will focus on who's to blame and get the problem corrected sooner rather than later. I love Amtrak and I've loved train travel all of my 65 years, which is one of the reasons I don't hesitate to find solutions to problems rather than just sit around and complain about them.

Am I the only one who thinks it's blatantly unfair for Amtrak to offer "special" 30-50% bonus points deals to some AGR members and not to everyone? The AGR Service Agreement doesn't mention special privileges for anyone other than the three Select Member levels, and AGR telephone reps can't explain why most regular members have been excluded from the current, early 2014 bonus points offer. I don't just think it's unfair, I think it's probably illegal for a government-funded agency to bestow special financial benefits to some and deny the same to others. Five thousand free bonus points times our three family members with AGR accounts is worth a $500-$600 Florida to NY trip in a roomette. What makes some members deserving of a $600 free benefit that the rest of us chumps can't have???
AGR has run lots of targeted promotions over the years; nothing illegal in that at all. Sometimes I can figure out who the target is; sometimes not. This was one of those times I couldn't figure it out. I'm Select Exec, the highest level; and I didn't get the 50% bonus. My mom on the other hand is Select Plus, the second level; she got the bonus offer.

AGR has run lots of targeted promotions over the years; nothing illegal in that at all. Sometimes I can figure out who the target is; sometimes not. This was one of those times I couldn't figure it out. I'm Select Exec, the highest level; and I didn't get the 50% bonus. My mom on the other hand is Select Plus, the second level; she got the bonus offer.
I am select plus and did not get any bonus offer. I am not happy about it, but I do not think it is anyway illegal.

I'm dirt to AGR (always have been), and I got the 50% offer. Since it's become harder for me to earn AGR points through credit card manipulation, I actually bit on this lure.

And I'm still hopeful that I'll get it before I need to buy my points this year, which I plan to do either way.

For whatever it is worth, I discovered purely by accident that I had a 30% offer. I don't recall ever having received any email. But then again some email that I had received may have automagically been confined to the circular file. Who knows?

Anyway, with that purchase now almost the entire lot of my travels for the OTOL Fest and the AU Gathering looks like will be on AGR points.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't seem to get any of these offers. Is there anything I can do to get

on the list?
Under your AGR profile, go to "Contact Preferences" and make sure you check the boxes next to AGR Program Offers and Information and AGR Partner Offers.

These will give you not just the AGR promotions, but also alerts when vendors like Hertz have bonus point offers.

Then, make sure [email protected] is added to your "okay" list, or whatever will keep it out of your spam folder.

I just received the 30% bonus offer (through the end of April) this morning my email. :)

I received the email but am bummed because I bought 10K miles just last month (after I didn't receive the February bonus email).

Can I buy the bonus points for my husband's account, then he can give the points back to me (I know there is a fee with transferring)?

Back