Chi to Aus May 3-flooding

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be heading to Austin, Tx from Chicago on May 4th. I've been watching the flooding and I'm beginning to wonder if I should consider cancelling? Any input and advice would be appreciated. I'm in a sleeper so a few hour delay won't be bad.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

The TE problems now seem to be flooding near Newport, AR. The White River is at 32.5 feet tonight (05/01) and predicted to go to 33.5 feet by Wednesday. In past floods when the river reached 34 feet the railroad bridge south of Newport was topped. And tonight it's raining in the White River watershed. I believe Amtrak will call you if the train is canceled, but I don't know how far in advance. (They're still selling tickets for May 3rd and 4th.)

Besides delays for slow speeds in the flood areas, the May 3/4 TE will take the construction detour in Illinois which will add to the delay.

I was scheduled to take #21 from CHI to FTW on 5/3 also, but I chickened out this morning and canceled. Part of my problem was that I was scheduled to turn the same day at FTW onto #22. Sure I could have jumped off early in like Longview or Marshall, but why chance getting to CHI and finding out #21 is cancelled!
ohmy.gif

Thanks for the updates. I've been watching http://www.dixielandsoftware.com/scripts/getmap.pl?mapname=West for information and it does not look good. The weather does look better tomorrow and Wednesday. I've never been out that way, but from what I can tell, it's as flat as a pancake. I have a hotel reservation in Austin for Thursday and then I will be driving west for another 2 1/2 hours to a survival training session for ShelterBox USA. If I get in too late on Thursday, I'm wondering if I should cancel the $120 night at the hotel and just wait for my ride on Friday. When is the latest that I can cancel the train without a problem? I do not have my tickets yet.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

Just checked the "train status" page for the TE on Amtrak. At St. Louis they are reporting a "service disruption" or "service interruption" (I forget what they called it).

Sounds like the flooding has got severe enough to affect Amtrak. No idea if they're cancelling or busing people. (I travel on the 16th but will be canceling if it's not cleared up by then).

Hopefully this "stuck" weather pattern that is causing flooding in AR and MO (and even down where I live in parts of OK) will move on soon and the folks who live in that area get a chance to dry out.

Joe,

If you are booked in a sleeper on a paid reservation, then technically it's already too late to cancel as you cannot get a refund at this point, only a voucher good for a future trip. If you're in coach, then you can cancel right up until departure and get a refund.

Note: If Amtrak has to cancel the train, then the normal cancellation policies don't apply and you'll get a full refund no matter what.

Not looking Good for the Eagles This Week! Its Still Raining up in the TX/OK/AK/MO/TN Border Region :eek: and the Rivers and Creeks are Rising Again! :( I Cancelled/Revised My AUS-BAL TE#22/Card#50 Rez on AGR today , the Agent told me that it looked like Maybe?? the Trains would start Running Wed. but No-one Knows for Sure??? :unsure: )Mine was an AGR 2 Zone Award, The reason I Cancelled/Changed is that with AGR if you are a "No-Show" for a Sleeper, your Rez is Cancelled and You Wont Get your Points Back! Alan explained the difference with a Paid Rez, I still have my CHI-BAL Rez on the Cardinal #50 for Thurs but have to F*** :( (4 Letter Word!!)to MKE, spend the Night and take the Hiawatha to CHI on Thur to catch the Card! My F*** is AUS-PNX-MKE, sort of a traveler like trip except its on an a****** (another 4 letter word except if saxman is f***** it! :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that takes care of that trip. AMTRAK just called to inform me that their service, CHI to AUS has been cancelled and will not operate until Saturday. Full refund.

Maybe another time.

Thanks everyone for the information. This is a good forum.

Joe

Just as information to AU'ers the Chicago weather report Tuesday AM stated that the flooded areas of downstate IL and MO got as much as 5 inches of rain overnight 5/2 PM to 5/3 AM. This is NOT what they needed!

We got 22 TE leaving AUS to CHI on Mon May 9 . I hope the water will be down by then.

AMTRAK just called to ask if I would like to reschedule my trip. CSX is allowing them passage from CHI to AUS. If this call was a few hours earlier I probably could have made arrangements, but everything else was canceled. At least they are trying.

Regards,

Joe

AMTRAK just called to ask if I would like to reschedule my trip. CSX is allowing them passage from CHI to AUS. If this call was a few hours earlier I probably could have made arrangements, but everything else was canceled. At least they are trying.

Regards,

Joe
If CSX is letting them use their route, what kind of route goes between the Metroplex and Chicago?

we are scheduled to leave Austin to chicago on may 11th. any possibility that train will be cancelled due to the flooding?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back