Dreamliner Nightmares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
Did Amtrak source some of these refurbished batteries? Had battery box fires on 4/12/13 Friday Morning on the Silver Star 91 before making it into Columbia, SC

Av Week is reporting that Boeing has completed 10 planes as of yesterday and will have all operating aircraft and undelivered aircraft done by May 11th.

I'm glad they've taken steps to prevent and contain future fires. Although it's a little curious that they were apparently never able to fully determine the root cause. Has anyone here flown the 787 as of yet? I enjoy flying new aircraft but I rarely go out of my way to do so. I have some TPAC flights planned for later in the year on the 77W.

I flew on it last December from ORD to IAH. Nice ride. Just don't get caught in the seats right behind an exit door. Because of the slide compartment, it sticks out into your knee room and you literally have to turn to the side. Luckily I was upgraded at the last minute and enjoyed business class!

Boeing announced yesterday that they have finished modification of all of the aircraft and only a coupe of airlines have not yet put them back in service.

I've got about 200 hours in B-52s. If you want to see wing flex, watch them. The tips move up and down more than 14'. Without the tip gear the wings would drag on the ground when fully fueled. When they take off you can tell when they are ready for liftoff, the wings rise to a point almost even with the top of the fuselage. The 787 is a much prettier plane, but I still love the B-52.

Actually it does look somewhat like a swan flexing its wing while gliding :)
Went to San Jose (SJC) today morning to see the first Dreamliner arrive after the grounding. ANA flight from Tokyo Narita glided in beautifully on time and to my pleasant surprise, there was a big crowd of about 40 people just outside the airport perimeter to see and photograph the plane! Here are a couple of photos I took, you can see the bird-like wing flex-

8915530199_37d2b58b5f_z.jpg

8915530285_77b1b31395_z.jpg

Ethiopian Airlines 787 on fire at LHR this afternoon, looks like the dung will be hitting the fan big time in Seattle......

The fire was in an unoccupied plane near the the top of the fuselage just before the tail. Very puzzling as there are no real fire sources are located there.

Not again! This is gonna ruin the 787's reputation big time! If they don't iron out the problems, then I won't fly this airline-G4500.

Ethiopian Airlines 787 on fire at LHR this afternoon, looks like the dung will be hitting the fan big time in Seattle......
Yeah, Boeing better develop the 777X or a new 767X soon. Right now they're gonna get all sprayed up with that dung. Teething problems won't explain this one well after the supposed "battery fix."

Not again! This is gonna ruin the 787's reputation big time! If they don't iron out the problems, then I won't fly this airline-G4500.
Yeah, Boeing better develop the 777X or a new 767X soon. Right now they're gonna get all sprayed up with that dung. Teething problems won't explain this one well after the supposed "battery fix."
One thing for sure. It was not the batteries. No batteries in that area. There is a galley right there, and there are heat sources in galleys. Just saying.

While the galley theory is the most plausible one for now, there are miles of wiring I would imagine, throughout the fuselage, and a fire could result from a short-circuit anywhere....

This is Electra and DC-10 all over again. Even though any problems those ships may have had were corrected and perfected the media hype and exposure already killed them off.

Back