Empire Builder Cancelled for Weather

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Canceled for Sunday
Were you planning on catching this train or just pointing it out. I know it will now cause headaches for a few 100 folks just wondering if you are one.

and

Sorry if it messes up your plans,
I am among the affected. &^%$
It's bad enough when you have to worry about something like that happening, but when it actually happens... wow; I can't even imagine your disappointment and how you feel because of it! My wholehearted sympathy to you JMB! :(

if its so bad that the trains can't see the signals or branches could be tossed on the line etc then they might cancel it just to be safe.

Look at the interactive delay map thingy, train 8 from yesterday left Seattle over 10 hours late and is about 14 hours late now.... The only good thing to say about that is you might get to see all the bits that you normally don't see at night!

The advice in that area is that drivers do not venture onto the roads, unless for essential purposes.. I guess if the trains can't run, the busses can't run?

Ed B)

how can they not provide alternative transportation? don't they realize they are deal;ing with people? don't tell me they couldn't find buses
There is almost no bus service running in the portland/gorge area today. Nobody is running a charter in this weather.

http://www.kgw.com/

http://www.kgw.com/perl/common/slideshow/s...&previous=0
i understand that. we are in spokane with 3 feet of drifitng snow. my question is why no transportation west of milwaukee was offered as i don't think the weather on the plains was out of the ordinary for this time of year

how can they not provide alternative transportation? don't they realize they are deal;ing with people? don't tell me they couldn't find buses
There is almost no bus service running in the portland/gorge area today. Nobody is running a charter in this weather.

i understand that. we are in spokane with 3 feet of drifitng snow. my question is why no transportation west of milwaukee was offered as i don't think the weather on the plains was out of the ordinary for this time of year
I can see Amtraks reluctance to charter any buses for a number of reasons. First of all, they are very cautious when it comes to weather. They truncate the Silver Service in Jacksonville and sometimes Savannah if there is a hurricane anywhere near the state of Florida. Secondly, they could not serve the through pax who want to go to Seattle or Portland. Sure, it would be nice to run a turn to Minot but what would the pax do then? Wait out the storm in a motel? Then you have crew and equipment issues; frozen toilets, crews wanting to be at the home terminal for Christmas. Perhaps the BNSF asked Amtrak not to run in the ugly weather for fear of a train becoming snow bound?, etc., etc., etc. All of the above and a whole lot more has to be taken into consideration when making these cancellation decisions.

Service Alert: Cascade Service, Empire Builder, Coast Starlight - BNSF Railway Closure Cancels Amtrak Trains in the Pacific Northwest

December 21, 2008

11:00 a.m. ET

BNSF Railway has informed Amtrak that normal passenger train service to and from Seattle, Wash. cannot be operated on Sunday, December 21, due to infrastructure issues and weather conditions.

Amtrak Cascades

No service for the entire route between Eugene, Ore., and Vancouver, B.C. No alternate transportation is available, due to the weather conditions.

Empire Builder

No service for the Trains 7 & 8 route segment between Seattle and Spokane, Wash. Both Trains 7/27 & 8/28 will originate and terminate in Portland, Ore., with no alternate transportation available between Seattle and Spokane. No alternate transportation available between Seattle and Portland.

Coast Starlight

Trains 11 & 14, which operate daily between Seattle and Los Angeles, will operate for the full route, subject to extreme delays.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience. This information is correct as of the above time and date. Information is subject to change as conditions warrant. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.

I think a good portion of the whole northern tier has weather issues, so it probably made the most sense to just cancel the entire run.

I think a good portion of the whole northern tier has weather issues, so it probably made the most sense to just cancel the entire run.
I hope the snowsheds are doing their job of keeping some of the worst stretches clear, making the eventual plowing easier. Things would get much worse if one of them collapsed....

Anyone know if BNSF uses

on this route?
Let us not forget that this is what could happen if they ran the train through weather such as they're having this week. And that could just as well happen to a bustitution as a train (and it would probably be much, much worse if it did happen to a bus...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if BNSF uses

My guess is that they use both, depending on what the need is. Rotaries are usually the weapon of last choice; they usually try flangers or plows first. But most RR's keep multiple types of slow clearing equipment on hand to meet the varying demands.

I live about 20 minutes from the Wisconsin state line and from what I heard on the news last night, lower Wisconsin, which would include Milwaukee, was to get blowing and drifting snow today. In rural areas, such as where I live, they don't even plow until the wind subsides. The wind is about 40 to 45 MPH here right now and the snow is drifting. My husband just came back from the store and said one of the main roads is closed due to white-out conditions.

Sunday, December, 21st

The Empire Builder normally leaves Chicago (#7) at 2:15. Because of mechanical issues, frozen wheels, diner issues etc, we didn't leave Chicago until 8:30 PM. It pulled into La Crosse, WI at around 2:07 AM. It was an interesting weekend as every single LD train was delayed for a few hours. The Metro Lounge was packed.

Because the train was canceled on 12/20 out of Chicago, all passengers were put on standby. Of course, everyone that had a sleeper for 12/20 was forced to downgrade to coach since everything from 12/21/08 was sold. Needless to say, some people were pretty ticked. The fair for coach was already at the highest fair for the past month, so I decided to upgrade to a roomette for $70 more and it was the best money I've ever spent. It was irritating, though when the conductor insisted on announcing all stops after 10 PM. I actually was trying to sleep.

...Off to bed now.

We have a bout 4 inches of snow on the ground here but thats covering about 1 1/2 inches of ICE. The ice can't melt cuz its -10 below here today (temp) and the windchill is making it feel like -25. Hey Whooz....feel like moving to Nebraska?!? :lol: Last Thursday night it was 20 degrees, it was lightning and thundering and raining and when it hit the vehicle it was freezing to it. So we may not have 3 feet of snow, but we have had some really wierd weather around here in the last 4 days. Never seen lightning and thunder with a snowstorm.

We have a bout 4 inches of snow on the ground here but thats covering about 1 1/2 inches of ICE. The ice can't melt cuz its -10 below here today (temp) and the windchill is making it feel like -25. Hey Whooz....feel like moving to Nebraska?!? :lol: Last Thursday night it was 20 degrees, it was lightning and thundering and raining and when it hit the vehicle it was freezing to it. So we may not have 3 feet of snow, but we have had some really wierd weather around here in the last 4 days. Never seen lightning and thunder with a snowstorm.
It was 67 degrees three days ago and 3 this AM in central Kentucky. Weird is right!

you never been to Michigan. what you call weird is normal for us. in the summer we always joke that it could snow tomorrow :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back