How would you name Amtrak's route differently?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PacificStarlight

Train Attendant
So i was thinking. If you were in-charge of renaming Amtrak's routes, what would you rename them? For example, I would rename the Coast Starlight to the Pacific Starlight, like my username.

Or the Coast StarLATE
mosking.gif

So i was thinking. If you were in-charge of renaming Amtrak's routes, what would you rename them? For example, I would rename the Coast Starlight to the Pacific Starlight, like my username.

Or the Coast StarLATE
mosking.gif

As I live in an area not served well by passenger rail, I would name all the trains "Inconsequential" or "Marginal". Unfortunately, I'm one who travels the country regularly by plane, because Amtrak to me, is best described by the good ol' Maine expression "Ya can't get there from here"! Wish I could travel by train, but, it's simply not possible, so, I don't really care what they call the trains, I'm stuck on 100+ airplanes a year, paying for airlines through fares, and trains I can't use through taxes!

Last edited by a moderator:

Or the Coast StarLATE
mosking.gif
Keep in mind it is not really the route that is named but rather the individual train. Most of the names Amtrak uses today were actually names of historical trains before Amtrak.

And keep in mind that in preAmtrak days most routes had more than one train.

For example, the route served today by the Southwest Chief was, for the most part, served at one time by trains called Super Chief, Chief, El Capitan, Grand Canyon, California Limited, etc.

The trains formerly on the Coast Starlight's route had an involved history of several names.

The problem with the Coast Starlight's name is that it doesn't go along the coast at night. One of its predecessors was called the Coast Daylight, though. (The CS was originally called Coast Daylight, as well.)

I always thought the Empire Builder's old running mate the Western Star had a better sounding name.
Oh, I think it sounds better, too. But you have to consider that Empire Builders is it self a nickname given to James R. Hill, thus the justification for what is kind of an awkward name.

And of course the Dixie Flagler was named for Henry Flagler and the East and West Coast Champions were named for Champ Davis.

I have never liked the name Northeast Regional. It sounds like it should be a commuter train which many commuters do use it but if you are on the entire trip from Washington to Boston, you are on pretty long. Northeast Direct does sound a little better but still does not have a good ring to it.

Bring back individual names on the Michigan Corridor. Until 2004 we had the Wolverine, Twilight Limited, and Lake Cities. My greatest fear is that the individual trains will get named "Wolverine Service" (like Lincoln Service or Hiawatha Service). Amtrak has started using that name for the corridor, but not the individual trains.

Or the Coast StarLATE
mosking.gif

As I live in an area not served well by passenger rail, I would name all the trains "Inconsequential" or "Marginal". Unfortunately, I'm one who travels the country regularly by plane, because Amtrak to me, is best described by the good ol' Maine expression "Ya can't get there from here"! Wish I could travel by train, but, it's simply not possible, so, I don't really care what they call the trains, I'm stuck on 100+ airplanes a year, paying for airlines through fares, and trains I can't use through taxes!
I believe if you broke it down, more tax dollars go to airline operations than Amtrak by far........

I would like to see a few of the NER trains get converted to all premium seating and called the Metroliner. It can still run at NER speeds but offer a nicer mode of travel than a typically overstuffed NER train.

Given California's propensity for the far-out and wacko at times, I'd like to see the name Pacific Smurfliner... :help:

Or the Coast StarLATE
Are you referring to the train that's on-time 80% of the time?
If you're getting that statistic from Amtrak you might want to consider rephrasing it. Amtrak's published on-time records are an intentional deviation from objective reasoning. That is to say, they're only true if you ignore every intermediate stop and only count the first and last termini of the entire route. Unfortunately that means they're not much use for honest discussion of actual performance.

I'm stuck on 100+ airplanes a year, paying for airlines through fares, and trains I can't use through taxes!
Taxes pay for planes, trains, and automobiles. They also pay for pedestrian and bicycle lanes. Your airfare (including sales taxes, PFC's and 9/11 fees) is woefully inadequate to pay for everything involved in designing, servicing, directing, and inspecting the planes and related infrastructure needed to host the largest and busiest domestic airline market in the world.

And of course the Dixie Flagler was named for Henry Flagler and the East and West Coast Champions were named for Champ Davis.
I'm not sure I could support a train with a name as inharmonious as "Dixie Flagler." That is a seriously unfortunate development. Absolutely nothing about that name sounds the slightest bit appealing to my ear.

The Sunset Occasionally
I love it! :lol:

Given California's propensity for the far-out and wacko at times, I'd like to see the name Pacific Smurfliner...
Although Americans may consider California a rare anomaly, if it were it's own country it would probably have more in common with the majority of first-world democracies than the rest of America does at this point.

Texas Sunset, on 31 January 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:
Hotblack Desiato, on 30 January 2012 - 07:24 PM, said:
pacificstarlight, on 30 January 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:
Or the Coast StarLATE
Are you referring to the train that's on-time 80% of the time?
If you're getting that statistic from Amtrak you might want to consider rephrasing it. Amtrak's published on-time records are an intentional deviation from objective reasoning. That is to say, they're only true if you ignore every intermediate stop and only count the first and last termini of the entire route.
Padding at the end of the trip makes that possible. For example, train #14 is allowed 1:36 to go the 39 miles from TAC to SEA (for comparison, train #11 is scheduled to make the same trip in the opposite direction in 0:46). Similarly, #11 is given 27 minutes to go 14 miles from Burbank-Bob Hope Airport to LAUS in 0:27, while #14 is supposed to make the reverse trip in 0:19 (which is at least a lot closer to the southbound timing).

Bring back individual names on the Michigan Corridor. Until 2004 we had the Wolverine, Twilight Limited, and Lake Cities. My greatest fear is that the individual trains will get named "Wolverine Service" (like Lincoln Service or Hiawatha Service). Amtrak has started using that name for the corridor, but not the individual trains.
I respectfully disagree. Naming all the trains on one service -- City A to City Z making stops B, C, D, etc. inbetween -- with a single name is more useful to the traveling public. It helps people think of the trains as a single service with the various frequencies reinforcing each other. "If I miss the 7am Lincoln Service, I can catch the 9:25 am Lincoln Service." Stated another way, a traveler needs to know that the Empire Builder is not a Hiawatha, the Texas Eagle is not a Lincoln Service train, and the Coast Starlight is not just another Pacific Surfliner, but what does a traveler gain from knowing that the 7am train from CHI to SPI is the Ann Rutledge but the 9:25am train between the same cities is the State House? :rolleyes:

IIRC, there's only two places on Amtrak where trains of the same corridor service making the same stops have different names: the Carl Sandburg/Illinois Zephyr and the Illini/Saluki. IMHO, the State of Illinois (which pays Amtrak to operate those trains) needs to decide on one train name for each of these services and stick with it for all the trains on that service.

That said, I believe that the long-distance trains should be individually named -- the two Silver Service trains already have different names, and if any other long-distance route ever has two or more trains a day, each one should have its own name. I also would have no problem reusing the Twilight Limited or Lake Cities names for new routes or services.

Although Americans may consider California a rare anomaly, if it were it's own country it would probably have more in common with the majority of first-world democracies than the rest of America does at this point.
If you are referring to the fact that they are broke, I agree.

If you are referring to the fact that they are broke, I agree.
In an era where the richest country on earth is so clueless and clumsy with their finances that they have already piled up $15,298,329,567,617.00 worth of debt, merely being "broke" is almost like being rich. :lol:

I respectfully disagree. Naming all the trains on one service -- City A to City Z making stops B, C, D, etc. inbetween -- with a single name is more useful to the traveling public. It helps people think of the trains as a single service with the various frequencies reinforcing each other. "If I miss the 7am Lincoln Service, I can catch the 9:25 am Lincoln Service." Stated another way, a traveler needs to know that the Empire Builder is not a Hiawatha, the Texas Eagle is not a Lincoln Service train, and the Coast Starlight is not just another Pacific Surfliner, but what does a traveler gain from knowing that the 7am train from CHI to SPI is the Ann Rutledge but the 9:25am train between the same cities is the State House? :rolleyes:

IIRC, there's only two places on Amtrak where trains of the same corridor service making the same stops have different names: the Carl Sandburg/Illinois Zephyr and the Illini/Saluki. IMHO, the State of Illinois (which pays Amtrak to operate those trains) needs to decide on one train name for each of these services and stick with it for all the trains on that service.

That said, I believe that the long-distance trains should be individually named -- the two Silver Service trains already have different names, and if any other long-distance route ever has two or more trains a day, each one should have its own name. I also would have no problem reusing the Twilight Limited or Lake Cities names for new routes or services.
I agree. There should be a single name for a corridor train service. A series of different names may have worked back in the day when people were knowledgeable about train travel and schedules and knew what the different names meant. They also knew their railroads and who ran what. In this day and age, using different names for corridor trains traveling the same route will confuse some customers. Northeast Regional or the Acela tell people traveling on the NEC what they are getting.

If Illinois adds an additional frequency to the Carl Sandburg/IL Zephyr or Illini/Saluki routes, they should go to a single name for the corridor service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back