LAUS Metropolitan Lounge Master Thread

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing some website station research and found this page from the October 1992 timetable that has an ad for Amtrak's Metropolitan Lounge. It includes this statement: "A Lounge Will Be Opening in Future at Los Angeles Union Station."

I guess the future took 21 years to happen!

Does the lounge have its own private restrooms?
Yes, ladies room has one stall. Could be crowded.

Didn't get too much of a look at the restroom since someone made a mistake and the lights went out - used my handy-dandy pen flashlight to navigate the dark restroom. This was Sept 30.

Edit: sorry, my notes say TWO stalls, one basin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Notes I made IN the new LA first class lounge on the morning of Sept 30, awaiting #14.

The lounge is still not complete, but employees stated that Amtrak decided to go ahead and open it as soon as it was usable. It is poorly marked within the station. The area around the old Traxx bar was deserted, and I saw no sign there to indicate the existence of the new lounge upstairs. [NOt saying there was no sign, just that I looked for and failed to see one.]

Even though I'd seen a map posted here, we had to ask before we found the elevator, and even getting off the elevator, had to pass through choice A or choice B of unmarked doors. Once we got through the first double doors, it was obvious where we needed to enter.

Official opening is definitely October 17. Had that confirmed by 3 Amtrak uniformed employees there.

There will be seating for - at most - about 75 people - that would be with every passenger squeezed together and occupying only one seat and with all luggage and carry-ons stowed near the reception desk. That desk was staffed by a very friendly and helpful Amtrak employee. For now, baggage is stowed on one side or other near and behind the desk, but we were told that baggage racks would be built there. Along the wall behind that area were exhibit cases with CS and SW Chief memorabilia.

Near the reception desk and to its left are rounded walls separating the entry from the main room. Nearest the door in that main room is a long counter for a future computer and recharge area. It will seat about 4 people and had 6 double outlets, if I remember correctly.

The second section of rounded wall has glass exhibit cases on the entry side; on its main room side, there will be a notice and arrival/departure board [to be installed]. In one of the cases was a bronze statue of workers at the rails.

NO wifi yet, but was told it will become available. There will be a very large flat screen TV in the main room, but they were waiting on the cable guy to install it.

On the side opposite the entry area, there's a wall of windows and an exit door with ramp down to a parking area. Metrolink trains were visible from the windows. Riders who need a cart or Red Cap assistance to reach the train later departed via this exit door. Even though we left on foot several minutes after the first cart was loaded, we passed through the tunnels and reached the spot for our car before the carts did. Of course, there was no rush, since we were early enough to see our train roll in.

Back in the lounge, refreshments included fruit [apples, oranges, bananas], chips, muffins exactly like the ones in CHI, packaged pastries. NO goldfish.

Bottled water and juice were stored in a cooler [like one you'd haul to a tailgate party]. An excellent coffee machine offered fresh ground coffee [hi-octane and decaf], latte, and expresso. The latte was delish. Didn't try it, but I was told the expresso was also excellent.

There was another room, with a door and windows onto the main room, that is currently unoccupied and unfurnished except for the flat screen tv and other computer cables and tools. I was told that Amtrak hasn't completely decided what to do with it, but that it will likely be used for large groups who are traveling together or for conferences. I confirmed with an employee that the current furniture is rental furniture and will be replaced by the official opening.

Another train [surfliner] left while I was waiting - there was an announcement for the business class passengers, but little other mention of that train.

The train manager for 14&11 came out shortly before the train arrived to tell the waiting passengers about meal options [dining car and parlor car], the wine tasting and the fact that the Parlor car is reserved for adults during that event. He explained the car numbering and how to call the car attendant. His introductory remarks likely saved us from needing a lot of chatter on the train's intercom.

My overall impression was that the new lounge is a nice amenity which will mostly serve long-distance passengers.

WiFi installed today! This is the nicest 1st Class lounge that I've seen this side of Washington DC's. Varieties of coffee drinks, soft drinks, snacks, and a newly installed big screen TV (the TV will be operational in a couple of days). You have a partial view of the rail yard from the window. The lounge is being used, but the grand opening is coming later. The Los Angeles Union Station is something of which all of us Angelinos can be proud.

I was in the lounge today transferring from the SW Chief to a Surfliner -- they had a little trouble getting a redcap to appear in a timely manner to drive us to the platform (and then we were delayed by a Gold Line train crossing), but we did make it.

The Wi-Fi requires a password, which they were happy to give out at the desk, and it was reasonably fast.

Instead of the coolers MiniMax reported, there's now a glass-door refrigerator beneath the counter that holds the soda/juices.

I was there today. Yes, nice place and nice staff. One must ask where it is as there are currently no signs. Walk past the ticket office toward the the two rental car counters and turn left. You will then see 2 elevators on the left. Go up 1 floor to 2. Get off and face left. The door directly ahead of you is the lounge in an adjoining corridor. No signs as I said- probably need several environmental impact studies to place such items. On #14 heading into Oakland.

Confirming Select Plus and Select Executive can access the lounge with a guest regardless if they hold an Amtrak ticket or not. I ask because I may come through and have a layover between Metrolink trains (yes... it is less expensive on the weekend than Amtrak...) and being from the Bay Area I lack the knowledge of the lounge entrance guidelines for AGR Select +/Executive members. It is nice to finally be able to use the benefit though :)

Confirming Select Plus and Select Executive can access the lounge with a guest regardless if they hold an Amtrak ticket or not. I ask because I may come through and have a layover between Metrolink trains (yes... it is less expensive on the weekend than Amtrak...) and being from the Bay Area I lack the knowledge of the lounge entrance guidelines for AGR Select +/Executive members. It is nice to finally be able to use the benefit though :)
Yes you can. It is best to bring and show your S+ or SE card to gain entrance, but I think they can look you up as well.

I'm half joking and half serious here, but you might want to go to AGR's website and print off the benefits page for S+ or SE - which states you can gain access to any Metropolitan Lounge - and take it with you in case the folks at the new Metropolitan Lounge in LAUS got their training from some of the employees who work(ed) at the CHI Metropolitan Lounge. Unlike the NEC, I don't think the attendants at the Metropolitan Lounges see too many folks who are not in sleepers or BC, so they may not be too familiar with the fact that S+ and SE can use the lounge, and showing them the print out would help if they are confused about the fact you have the right to use the lounge.

For roadman and Davy--

The staff working the lounge at the beginning of October when I was there were fully cognizant of the benefits for Select and Select plus. I specifically heard the very pleasant and helpful attendant Keesha [spelling?] accepting visitors on the basis of their Select status.

All right! Looking forward to relaxing in the lounge on Christmas morning as we change from the SL to the CS. Of course, we will also have to take a walk through the quiet city to stretch our legs, but from what I understand, unless you can sleep very soundly while everyone else is clattering around getting off the train, the layover can be more than 5 hours! Nice to have a place to grab a cup of coffee and check our email (they DO have wi-fi, don't they??).

Thanks for the info! Changed plans so Ill actually be using an upgrade for BC on the Surfliner tyat is about to expire. Ill try the Select Plus card first as that seems to work. If not Ill still have the BC ticket. Just happy to see a lounge I can use here in California :)

For roadman and Davy--

The staff working the lounge at the beginning of October when I was there were fully cognizant of the benefits for Select and Select plus. I specifically heard the very pleasant and helpful attendant Keesha [spelling?] accepting visitors on the basis of their Select status.
Hi Golden Girl! Thanks. :hi:

THAT sounds promising. Maybe Keesha could give some pointers to some of the folks at the CHI Met. Lounge. :giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back