LSL sleeper question re: toilets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hello

Lead Service Attendant
I know that the LSL has a toilet in the roomette, but are there other toilets that can be used? I saw the diagram of the floor plan, which showed a shower at the end of the corrider, but did not see any additional toilets.

Because maybe you don't want to drop the kids off at the pool with your significant-other lying there to and have them wake up and watch?

I know that the LSL has a toilet in the roomette, but are there other toilets that can be used? I saw the diagram of the floor plan, which showed a shower at the end of the corrider, but did not see any additional toilets.
So what to do if all the toilets in the car go out, as apparently can happen? Go to the coach? Is a big box set up at one end of the sleeper? Or do passengers in the next sleeping car offer to share?

It almost sounds as if the Superliner is a better set-up.

I was recently on the Cardinal when the toilets and air conditioning stopped functioning. Our SA told us us

use the restrooms in coach!!

So what to do if all the toilets in the car go out, as apparently can happen? Go to the coach? Is a big box set up at one end of the sleeper? Or do passengers in the next sleeping car offer to share?

It almost sounds as if the Superliner is a better set-up.
If all the toilets in the car go out, then any theoretical public restrooms in the car would quit working as well. I understand that if the Viewliner 2 order ever goes through, that the toilets in the roomettes will be removed in favor of a public washroom.

I was recently on the Cardinal when the toilets and air conditioning stopped functioning. Our SA told us us

use the restrooms in coach!!
Hey at least there was an alternative!

My favorite story involves airlines, when last year a United flight 777from Los Angeles to Sydney--a 15-hour flight--had all its toilets conk out with a full load (almost 300 passengers). In such a case, the pilot has the choice to either continue or turn around. As he was almost 5 hours outbound, he continued.

BUT he ordered that no more drinks be served!!!

So everyone landed both bloated and dehydrated! What a trip, eh? You couldn't give me a voucher big enough to compensate for that feeling!

LOL
laugh.gif

So what to do if all the toilets in the car go out, as apparently can happen? Go to the coach?
I have been on a train with the reverse. All the coach toilets were clogged (totally the passengers' own fault), but the private Viewliner toilets continued to work just fine. I guess coach passengers think that how they leave the "public" toilet is only the next guy's problem. Whereas, Viewliner passengers tend to take good care of the toilet in their own room.

That's why IMHO if the Viewliner II's change from private toilets to public toilets, it will with great certainty, prove that Amtrak is indeed run by total incompetence and the stupidest of the stupid.

That's why IMHO if the Viewliner II's change from private toilets to public toilets, it will with great certainty, prove that Amtrak is indeed run by total incompetence and the stupidest of the stupid.
I think that's a BIT over the top. People have argued both ways about the private toilets in Viewliner roomettes, and there hasn't seemed to be a consensus on here about which is the correct way to proceed for future Viewliners.

I see roomette (the poster) explained rather concretely a major problem with the in-room unsheltered toilet: it's inconvenient if there's more than one passenger in the roomette, especially in the middle of the night. There's also the additional plumbing -- more pipes and toilets for Amtrak to maintain and more to fail -- and the, umm, odor problem for even the solo traveler. Yet you still conclude that Amtrak is utterly incompetent if it doesn't agree with you? :rolleyes: :eek:hboy: :wacko:

I found the superliner toilet setup to be far superior to the viewliner. The 'ick factor' of having a toilet right next to you is too much to overcome. Plus, the viewliner toilets, at least the one in our room, seemed to lack the required horsepower to remove the solid deposits from the toilet.

I was wishing for a public toilet, and I overheard another sleeper passenger asking about other toilets, as well. The ones in coach were just too nasty. I'd much rather there be public toilets in the sleeper cars.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have my vote for every passenger car having at least one extra toilet in case of emergency or as many have said someone wishing some privacy. It is akin the poor quality of nearly everything on a view liner car from noisiest bedrooms to curtains with snaps that don't match anything to close, (talk about no privacy on the can), and overall weird design.. I never did get used to looking up into open spaces around the tops of the rooms like you had just been added as a second thought. Give me a nice old enclosed friendly pullman room any day.

Thank you for the responses ... it's reassuring to know that is is OK for a sleeper passenger to use the coach toilets, if necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back