Need LOTS of help/advice....new to Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
... trip for mid- to late-May 2009.
Proposed trip involves 3 adults traveling to Vancouver, B. C. for a roundtrip Alaska cruise. This will most likely be a once-in-a-lifetime trip, so I'd really like to have things go as smoothly as possible.

C) Estimated arrival time at Vancouver is 2:15 PM. Cruise departure (Canada Place terminal) time is shown as 5 PM. I'm thinking this would be cutting it too close to schedule a Vancouver arrival the same day as cruise departure and would be wiser to arrive the day prior to cruise. Yes or No???

D) If we overnight in Vancouver what is a nice lodging close to Canada Place? Not looking for something fancy...just clean, comfortable, and in a safe location. It would be nice if a shuttle was available to the terminal, but not entirely necessary.

After the cruise, we plan to return on the same Amtrak route. I assume the same sleeping accomodations would be needed for Seattle to Chicago segment. Arrival in CHI approx. 3:55 PM. Depart on City of New Orleans (to JAN) approx. 8 PM.

F) I read that some cruise lines have offered a Rail and Cruise discount in 2008. Is there anywhere I can find out if there will be discounts offered for 2009? G) Are snow or other "weather worries" common factors in delaying travel along the route during that time of year? I know nothing is certain (like all the flooding this year)...but just wondering what your thoughts may be on that.
I am already planning a trip similar to yours. I would definitely overnight in Vancouver the night before the cruise. the 2:15 arrival time in Vancouver is cutting it way too close for a 5p.m. cruise.

From what I understand, the area around Canada Place is not very good. I'm staying in the business district at a hotel I got through Priceline.com. I couldn't find a shuttle to the pier from either Canada Place or Ballantyne, which is where my cruise begins. I believe a taxi is about $15 or $20.

The Rail and Cruise discount didn't work out for me. I think it was because I'm cruising via Celebrity and the Rail and Cruise was a different cruise line.

I'm going in September, but my last trip on the Empire Builder was in the middle of May and there was no snow to be found along the route. Had to go to Alaska to see snow that time of year.

Don't be surprised if your once-in-a-lifetime cruise happens the second time. This is my 2nd cruise to Alaska and my first trip there was a"once-in-a-lifetime, dream come true" trip. You'll love it.

From what I understand, the area around Canada Place is not very good. I'm staying in the business district at a hotel I got through Priceline.com. I couldn't find a shuttle to the pier from either Canada Place or Ballantyne, which is where my cruise begins. I believe a taxi is about $15 or $20.
Are you confusing Canada Place with somewhere else? Canada Place is the waterfront side of the business district. It contains several very prestegious international 4 and 5-star hotels.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Empire Builder is one of the more timely trains on the system- BNSF does a pretty good time of keeping it moving and on time. Better than several others I could name. Actually, better than any other I could name.
Then I guess that you can't name the City of New Orleans, the Southwest Chief, the Crescent, and the Auto Train all of which have better on time records this year than the Empire Builder. :p :lol: :lol:

Granted the EB isn't very far behind those other trains, just a few percentage points, but nonetheless they do have better time keeping than the EB.

I was excited about this trip to begin with and everyone's input has added even more to it.

The information and encouraging words you've posted have helped ease a lot of concerns I had.

May I adopt all of you? :)

If you aren't married or dating the person who you are travelling with, two in the lower bunk would be extremely wierd or illegal! :lol: Definately go for the bedroom and 1 roomette. If you book over the phone, request bedroom E. Its in the middle of the car and has the coffee and juice just outside your door. Also has the stairway if you need to go down stairs and grab something out of your luggage if you have put it in the rack. I would shower in the lower level, and #2 in the lower level bathroom. #1 in your bedroom bathroom. With 3 of you remember the walls aren't super thick on the Superliner so be courteous and not be screaming and hollering all the time. Was next door to a guy who had a vicious cold and we could hear him coughing all the time. Just use "indoor voices". The guy coughing we felt bad for him, then he ended up being our dinner mate in the dining car. Remember, when you dine on Amtrak, 1 stranger will be seated with your group since there's only 3 of you. To me, this is what I enjoy the most about Amtrak. I've only had one "clod" that I can remember and all the rest were great dinner mates.

Oh...and don't "think" about getting the AGR card, get that sucker now!!!! It pays dividends! You'll have a bunch of points ASAP!

Oooops....now I don't WANT to convince my nephew to stay in the same bedroom. He's about 6' tall and has a large build. He may have an interesting "fit" being the 1 person in a roomette. :D
Just running a "practice" reservation with 2 bedrooms on the website , the roundtrip total at this time looks to be a bit over $4,000 with AAA discount. That rewards credit card sounds definitely worth checking into. The benefits seem VERY generous.

SUTTONK11, do you by any chance know anything about the Rail and Cruise Discount? Also, I had looked into the alternate route on the return trip. Would love to do that, but I'm afraid we probably wouldn't be able to spare the extra time it would involve. But we'll surely try to see if we can manage it someway.

Thanks to all!!
I tried to use the Rail and Cruise discount but ran into roadblocks every way I turned; quite honestly, I don't believe there is a discount. The best way to approach this is through the cruise line you choose.

Remember that even if you can't find a Rail and Cruise discount, you can receive substantial points on a Amtrak Rewards Card by booking the cruise through certain cruise finder sites and, if you pay for the cruise with the rewards card ........

Also, I had looked into the alternate route on the return trip. Would love to do that, but I'm afraid we probably wouldn't be able to spare the extra time it would involve. But we'll surely try to see if we can manage it someway.
If going all the way to L.A. on the Coast Starlight and returning via the Southwest Chief is too long, how about seeing if you can take the Coast Starlight to Sacramento and then the California Zephyr through the Rockies via Salt Lake and Denver? You'll miss the scenery along the coast of California, but the trip through the Rockies is about the most stunning setting on the entire Amtrak system. I'd have to look at the timetable, but it may take less time than the farther-south route and thus may be workable into your plans.

Just a thought...

Also, I had looked into the alternate route on the return trip. Would love to do that, but I'm afraid we probably wouldn't be able to spare the extra time it would involve. But we'll surely try to see if we can manage it someway.
If going all the way to L.A. on the Coast Starlight and returning via the Southwest Chief is too long, how about seeing if you can take the Coast Starlight to Sacramento and then the California Zephyr through the Rockies via Salt Lake and Denver? You'll miss the scenery along the coast of California, but the trip through the Rockies is about the most stunning setting on the entire Amtrak system. I'd have to look at the timetable, but it may take less time than the farther-south route and thus may be workable into your plans.

Just a thought...
Believe me, ALL thoughts are welcome, jackal! I knew practically nothing about Amtrak before making my initial post here. I consider these "voices of experience" very valuable. I'll also check into your suggestion and look at the time factor there. Thank you!

Heeded the advice about the AGR card and applied last night.

My sister is planning to check with a travel agent today about cruises and will see if she can find out anything there about a Rail & Cruise Discount. I've not been able to find any details so far, so SUTTONK11, you may very well be correct about its nonexistence!

Amtrak's site shows we'll have Thruway Service from Seattle on to Vancouver. Does anyone know where in Vancouver we'll be getting off....is it near hotels in the vicinity of Canada Place? We've decided to arrive at least one day prior to cruise departure. Maybe we'll be able to do some touring of Vancouver.

After reading everyone's input it looks as though I may end up addicted to Amtrak.

Believe me, ALL thoughts are welcome, jackal! I knew practically nothing about Amtrak before making my initial post here. I consider these "voices of experience" very valuable. I'll also check into your suggestion and look at the time factor there. Thank you!
If you take the Souuthwest Chief (SWC)/ Coast Starlight (CS) combo or the California Zepher (CZ)/CS combo, you will arrive at the same time. (One connects in LA, the other connects in Sacramento.) The advantage to the SWC option is the southerrn CA coastline north of LA! The advantage of the CZ option is the Rockies crossing west of Denver (considered one of the best - if not the best - scenic train trips in the US!) B)

After reading everyone's input it looks as though I may end up addicted to Amtrak.
I'm 150% certain of that! ;)

The Amtrak bus will drop you at the Amtrak Station, which is s little out of the way of downtown. It is possible it also goes right downtown, but I have not been able to quickly find out locally, so try Julie for that answer.

I'm happy you decided to overnight in Vancouver. I'm probably starting to sound like your local Chamber of Commerce, but I was raised here and still love this city, 55 years after my arrival. In that vein, I would strongly recommend you check out the Granville Island Hotel (http://www.granvilleislandhotel.com/). It's not downtown, but you have easy access to downtown via a 5-minute ferry ride across False Creek. The ferries are little chug-chugs lifted right out of a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, and they are a lot of fun. I mentioned going for the hotel points in an earlier post, but this truly is a beautiful (and affordable) hotel. Granville Island itself will intrigue you, with its world-famous market, art galleries, marinas, and restaurants. (http://www.granvilleisland.com/en/island_info) (http://www.seegranvilleisland.com/) And, if you like to walk, you can stroll the seawall around Stanley Park and the downtown area before grabbing your cab to the cruise dock. Everything is within ferry and walking distance.

Having just completed a SEA-CHI-NOL-LAX Amtrak trip, I know you'll become addicted to Amtrak. I hope you'll also become addicted to Vancouver.

Bon Voyage!

The Amtrak bus will drop you at the Amtrak Station, which is s little out of the way of downtown. It is possible it also goes right downtown, but I have not been able to quickly find out locally, so try Julie for that answer.
I'm happy you decided to overnight in Vancouver. I'm probably starting to sound like your local Chamber of Commerce, but I was raised here and still love this city, 55 years after my arrival. In that vein, I would strongly recommend you check out the Granville Island Hotel (http://www.granvilleislandhotel.com/). It's not downtown, but you have easy access to downtown via a 5-minute ferry ride across False Creek. The ferries are little chug-chugs lifted right out of a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta, and they are a lot of fun. I mentioned going for the hotel points in an earlier post, but this truly is a beautiful (and affordable) hotel. Granville Island itself will intrigue you, with its world-famous market, art galleries, marinas, and restaurants. (http://www.granvilleisland.com/en/island_info) (http://www.seegranvilleisland.com/) And, if you like to walk, you can stroll the seawall around Stanley Park and the downtown area before grabbing your cab to the cruise dock. Everything is within ferry and walking distance.

Having just completed a SEA-CHI-NOL-LAX Amtrak trip, I know you'll become addicted to Amtrak. I hope you'll also become addicted to Vancouver.

Bon Voyage!
George, you're better than a Chamber of Commerce! We'll likely spend one night pre- AND post-cruise. Hopefully, we'll be able to enjoy some of Vancouver's offerings.

I'm afraid we'll not be able to take either of the alternate return routes. Our available time is just too limited. But we'll have MUCH to look forward to in future travel.

Travel agent told my sister the Rail & Cruise Discount had been discontinued. Reason given: A different vendor has taken over the Amtrak Vacations and chose not to continue that discount.

In checking accommodation prices online....mid-May 2009 bedroom price (not including rail fare) returning from SEA to CHI is $453. A week later it's $1,162!!!! Is that due to increased fares for a busier season or could it be the lower "bucket fares" I've read about are already taken????

Bon Voyage!
George, you're better than a Chamber of Commerce! We'll likely spend one night pre- AND post-cruise. Hopefully, we'll be able to enjoy some of Vancouver's offerings.

I'm afraid we'll not be able to take either of the alternate return routes. Our available time is just too limited. But we'll have MUCH to look forward to in future travel.

Travel agent told my sister the Rail & Cruise Discount had been discontinued. Reason given: A different vendor has taken over the Amtrak Vacations and chose not to continue that discount.

In checking accommodation prices online....mid-May 2009 bedroom price (not including rail fare) returning from SEA to CHI is $453. A week later it's $1,162!!!! Is that due to increased fares for a busier season or could it be the lower "bucket fares" I've read about are already taken????
That maybe and the off season/season dividing line is around those dates. I believe??? :unsure:

Consider booking two Roomettes:

While you won't be able to all sit together in your sleeping car, you could easily spend time together (two at a time) in either Roomette. Ask for two across the aisle from each other and you'll have the best of both worlds—togetherness, and the ability to close a door (or curtain) when one of you wants some quiet time. Plus you can always go to the lounge car to spend time all together.

I've only traveled Amtrak once on the Southwest Chief to Albuquerque, in a Roomette with my husband. We thought it was great. Our second cross-country Roomette trip is coming up soon; we'll be taking the Empire Builder to Portland in September.

There are four restrooms on every sleeper car and we never had to wait to use one. All were clean and in good working order. We got up early and were probably first to use the shower, which has a very useful attached "changing room" area. Never had to wait to use that, either—the changing room did come in handy, as the Roomette doesn't really have any open floor space when the beds are folded down.

Honestly, the thought of a toilet right inside our sleeper room kinda grossed us out, and that's why we chose the Roomete—that and cost, of course.

How ever you decide to go, have a wonderful trip!

Most probable is that one is in a lower bucket and one is in a higher bucket. There really are no "low season" and "high season" on Amtrak - it just depends on how many seats or rooms are sold on a specific train on a specific day. (If you check the train for the day before or the day after the $1,162 fare - it may be less than that!)

Most probable is that one is in a lower bucket and one is in a higher bucket. There really are no "low season" and "high season" on Amtrak - it just depends on how many seats or rooms are sold on a specific train on a specific day. (If you check the train for the day before or the day after the $1,162 fare - it may be less than that!)
Actually that's not entirely true Traveler. Yes, how many seats or rooms sold is definately part of the equation. But Amtrak does adjust how many rooms it sells at the low bucket price on a given train on a given day by the expected demand. So for example, on January 15th there might be 8 roomettes on the EB sold at the low bucket price. But come the 4th of July there might only be 2 roomettes put into inventory at the low bucket price.

And of course fewer rooms at the low bucket price mean more rooms at the other 4 bucket levels.

If you take the Souuthwest Chief (SWC)/ Coast Starlight (CS) combo or the California Zepher (CZ)/CS combo, you will arrive at the same time. (One connects in LA, the other connects in Sacramento.) The advantage to the SWC option is the southerrn CA coastline north of LA! The advantage of the CZ option is the Rockies crossing west of Denver (considered one of the best - if not the best - scenic train trips in the US!) B)
They would? If they do the CS-SWC option, an overnight would be required in L.A., since the CS arrives at ~9pm and the SWC leaves at 6:45pm!

Amtrak.com suggests getting off the CS in SAC and then doing the San Joaquins/bus shuffle down the Central Valley and meeting the SWC in L.A. before its 6:45pm departure, but that completely misses the most scenic portion of the CS's trip!

So, the CS-CZ option actually does get into CHI almost 24 hours earlier than the CS-SWC option.

timetoride, if this shaves enough time off to allow returning via the CZ instead of the EB, I would highly recommend it!

One final thought about Vancouver, before I start asking the Vanc. Toiurist Board for a salary (Smile). I'm delighted you're planning to overnight in Vancouver on both sides of your Alaska cruise. That being the case, I highly recommend you have dinner one night at The Observatory or one of the other restaurants on the top of Grouse Mountain (3700 feet). Take the ride up the gondola before the sun goes down. Ask for a window seat when making your reservation, and watch the sun set and the City lights come up while you're dining. The food is not four-star cuisine, but pretty close! The gondola ride is free if you have dinner reservations. Check here: http://www.grousemountain.com/Summer/dining/.

Here is a blurb from a British Airways promotion. It is for a particular tour they offer in conjunction with their flights, but it gives you a good idea. You will be able to make your own arrangements through your hotel. Of course, you'll want to save your money if the weather is bad on one of your two days or, heaven forbid, both.

"Finish a day on sightseeing with a sunset visit to Grouse Mountain. Travel by aerial tramway high above the alpine forest for breathtaking views over Vancouver as the sun goes down.

"Begin your tour traveling through world famous, Stanley Park and over the spectacular Lions Gate Bridge. You will be taken to the base of Grouse Mountain where North America's largest aerial tramway system will take you on a one mile journey high above the second growth forest and between the mountain peaks. The views are breathtaking - the city skyline, ships in the harbor, the glittering Strait of Georgia, and far-off Vancouver Island.

"When you reach the top of the mountain plateau, 3,700 feet (1,100 meters) above sea level, ... dine or just enjoy the fantastic view. Choose from a fabulous array of restaurants where Grouse Mountain chefs will delight you with the finest selections of west coast and specialty seafood dishes. From fine dining in the Observatory to the casual fare at Altitudes Bistro, there is a menu to please any palate."

If you take the Southwest Chief (SWC)/ Coast Starlight (CS) combo or the California Zepher (CZ)/CS combo, you will arrive at the same time. (One connects in LA, the other connects in Sacramento.) The advantage to the SWC option is the southerrn CA coastline north of LA! The advantage of the CZ option is the Rockies crossing west of Denver (considered one of the best - if not the best - scenic train trips in the US!) B)
They would? If they do the CS-SWC option, an overnight would be required in L.A., since the CS arrives at ~9pm and the SWC leaves at 6:45pm!

Amtrak.com suggests getting off the CS in SAC and then doing the San Joaquins/bus shuffle down the Central Valley and meeting the SWC in L.A. before its 6:45pm departure, but that completely misses the most scenic portion of the CS's trip!

So, the CS-CZ option actually does get into CHI almost 24 hours earlier than the CS-SWC option.
Actually, I was comparing the SWC (westbound)/CS and the CZ (westbound)/CS trips. Those do get in at the same time. If you do take the CS southbound to the SWC eastbound, true you do miss the coastline, but the very scenic part on the southern half may well be in darkness! And if you take the inland route through BFD. you will also arrive CHI at the same time as the CS/CZ combo.

Aloha

You have received excellent advice about this trip. Wish I were going. What I would do though is book 2 roomettes across from each other, the communal showers are much more comfortable. I am large 6 foot 275 pounds.

Please give us a report after the trip.

Mahalo

I'll have to play catch-up with the most recent posts. Had computer problems the entire weekend and most of today. Actually, it was AT&T problems rather than the computer! :(

Going back now to read the latest info! :)

Here's my favorite thing to do in Vancouver, and so reasonably priced. Go to Waterfront Station which is very close to Canada Place where the cruise ships dock. Take the SeaBus ferry across Burrard Inlet to Lonsdale Quay which is the terminal on the other side. The ticket is 2.50 on the weekend, 3.50 during the week, I'm pretty sure, and you can use your bus transfer or SkyTrain transfer and if you are over there for only a short while you can use your transfer to get back.

The ferry trip over is pleasant and quick and you get great views of the skyline from the boat. I like to ride right up front with all the kids :)

When you get to Lonsdale Quay everyone gets off the ferry and you walk up some stairs and come out on a big public plaza on the waterfront with a big fountain, live music, lots of benches. Adjoining this is a public market with dozens of places to eat including several fresh fruit bars and salad bars. I always get a salad bar but there are greek, asian, mexican etc places and bakeries and produce places galore.

You can sit outside at tables and eat and look at the skyline and Stanley Park across the water and watch the helijets come and go and the floatplanes.

My other favorite thing to do is to hang around on Canada Place the big pier where the cruise ships dock, it's so nice there when you walk all the way out to the end. It's between the float plane terminal and the helicopter pad and right by where the seabus ferries come and go. I always say it's like "Richard Scarry's Busy Busy World" watching all the bathtub toys come to real life! There are big terminals where the container ships load and unload and just tons of boat traffic of all kinds in general.

You can also stand and look down and watch the guys load the food onto the ship, huge pallets of melons, grapes, potatoes, frozen food, salad, and BOOZE. They are very good at what they do and super efficient about how they use their equipment and skills to swing the pallets onto the hold opening and whisk them away with a pallet jack.

you can watch them fling your luggage about too, which will make you want to get some strong luggage.

I could stand there all day and watch everything going on.

You are lucky because by the time you get there I think the new convention center might be open, it is next door to Canada Place which is a huge convention center already, but the new one looks really cool, it is massive and ultra modern and I can't wait to check it out when it's done. they built it on pilings over the water and it's all glass, the whole thing. Way cool.

Oh and since I"m describing the neighborhood there I might as well go on and add how they have done this fantastic job fixing up the waterfront into a pedestrian and bicycle park all along the whole waterfront of the city, even since I moved out here. the part that goes from the Convention Center and Canada Place to Stanley Park is only a couple of years old and it is super nice, there are walkways and benches everywhere and beautiful plantings and trees and a water park for the kids too. It's just lovely and you can look down in the water and see seals and all kinds of water birds.

There's a grocery store downtown too, the IGA close to the courthouse, and they have a big deli, you could get a picnic lunch to go and take a nice long walk by the water to Stanley Park for a picnic.

Walking on the waterfront would be a reason to visit Vancouver in and of itself. You could build a vacation around it for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back