Photo Harassment Pic

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know luckily we didn't find out as my 6 yr. old Granddaughter took some at the Gathering. And What would mr. Security have thought of my cameras or all the other that day? :lol:
Aloha
Maybe your honking huge camera intimidated Mr. Security, so he slunk away for the day? :)

I took 30-40 pictures in SAN that day and of course there was no interference from the photo prevention troops.

I don't know luckily we didn't find out as my 6 yr. old Granddaughter took some at the Gathering. And What would mr. Security have thought of my cameras or all the other that day? :lol:
Aloha
Maybe your honking huge camera intimidated Mr. Security, so he slunk away for the day? :)

I took 30-40 pictures in SAN that day and of course there was no interference from the photo prevention troops.
Perhaps Whooz would have done better looking more touristy, you know, big camera bag or two, separate video and still (both 35mm and pocket), and of course the fez.

I sent an e-mail to a close friend that I have who works for Amtrak asking him if Amtrak has "Special Agents"

Hopefully he can give a reply that can save us the hassle of Agent Pat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay.

First time on this forum in months (owing to the different gig I have where I work), and I see the police are beating up on photographers.

Fill me in -- the trip report doesn't mention this bit of "detaining and harassing." I don't want to fire off my views without having heard at least your side of it, Whooze. So please fill me in, even by PM if you must.

(EDIT: Just found the thread with the incident. Sorry for the inconvenience.)

Acela150, Amtrak's railroad police officers are indeed called "Special Agents." I have had an encounter with one. That individual was every bit as professional as any other federal law enforcement officer I had to deal with during my days working in newsbiz.

I sent an e-mail to a close friend that I have who works for Amtrak asking him if Amtrak has "Special Agents"
Hopefully he can give a reply that can save us the hassle of Agent Pat
Amtrak does indeed have special agents.

Hopefully he can give a reply that can save us the hassle of Agent Pat
Amtrak does indeed have special agents.
"special" in both senses of the word.

Some are smart, and are like the James Bond of the rails.

The others rode the short bus and find it their duty to step on people's toes for fun.

and then you got the kind left over from the Vietnam war and are messed up in the head.

I think I had a run in with Special Agent Pat. After he confronted me, he went off with a good looking brunette. He then took off his shoe and and used it as a phone. Then he and the good looking woman which he kept calling "99" then had a large see through plastic dome ascend down on them and I couldn't hear them talking anymore. I'm fairly good at lip reading and they were saying something to the effect "the cone of silence". Maybe it was someone from KAOS? :lol:

I think I had a run in with Special Agent Pat. After he confronted me, he went off with a good looking brunette. He then took off his shoe and and used it as a phone. Then he and the good looking woman which he kept calling "99" then had a large see through plastic dome ascend down on them and I couldn't hear them talking anymore. I'm fairly good at lip reading and they were saying something to the effect "the cone of silence". Maybe it was someone from KAOS? :lol:
I'll bet your eyes would have popped out of your head if at the time you were on a train going 50 MPH where you followed Special Agent Pat to the vestibule between cars where you noticed him enter a previously unnoticed phone booth, then suddenly drop out of sight! :p

I'll bet your eyes would have popped out of your head if at the time you were on a train going 50 MPH where you followed Special Agent Pat to the vestibule between cars where you noticed him enter a previously unnoticed phone booth, then suddenly drop out of sight! :p
I saw Special Agent Pat do just that - except there was no phone booth and it was the last car of the train! :p

Before he left, I overheard him saying something like

I'm having a good day. I think I'll go harass some people!

Whooz, let me point out to you that you took a picture of nothing. Yes, I know you were going for a picture of the stuff in the background. But think of it through his eyes. He might have been being an ass, but picture taking of a semi-crowded area with no apparent focus is cause for investigation.

Well perhaps someone has already noticed this BUT...on page 128 of the current Amtrak TT under "Tips For Traveling On Amtrak" item #9. states; "Look for scenic photo opportunities. Our trains pass many beautiful and interesting sights, so bring your camera." All Patrick was doing was complying with Amtrak's own suggestions. :eek:

I probably should have uploaded Sunday's pics much sooner, but was busy preparing the Trip Report on the weekend's rail action, then just plain got lazy.
Here is a link to the untouched (except for being uploaded from camera to computer, then to Picasa), unedited photo that Amtrak Special Agent Pat cited my taking of as a security issue in an attempt to justify his ambush harassment of me as I tried to board Amtrak Pacific Surfliner 775 at San Diego on 11-9-08.

He said that in the Post-911 Era, as he put it, there are concerns about people who take pictures of "crowds." In viewing the photo you'll be able to see how concerned everybody is, and determine for yourself the definition of "crowd."

Harassment Excuse Photo

Personally I'm far more concerned, and dismayed, at the very existence of Amtrak Special Agent Pat and his ignorant ilk.
There was a big deal a while back in Washington state aboard the ferry system about someone observed taking digital pictures of the ferry boats' infrstructure while traveling on the boats. They became very concerned about the homeland security aspects of the pictures and ultimately, the ferry system cooperated with law enforcement to post pictures of the picture taker in the media asking the public to report the picture taker's identity if anyone knew him. This got the ferry system national attention. The nature and pattern of the picture taking warranted this unususal step in law enforcement's opinion. Needless to say, mass transit personel have heightened concerns about system security and picture taking is something they watch for carefully. I cannot say and do not want to opine on whether the Amtrak employee overreacted in your situation, which he may have done. I would assume that if you report your concerns about this incident to appropriate Amtrak employees and/or law enforcement they will evaluate the situation, and even if they do not report their findings to you, if corrective measures with the employee at issue are indicated they would likely reach out to him for counseling. In general, I supported the heightened security in airports and other venues but there needs to be well defined policies and procedures in place with appropriate checks and balances.

"Special Agent" Pat is neither a "Special Agent, nor an Amtrak employee. He is a security officer for Catellus who works at the station in San Diego. Technically he may have the authority to tell you not to take photos, but given the touristy nature of the area, and the beauty of the station, his request is nothing short of ridiculous. There have been MANY passenger and visitor complaints about this security officer, and I hope you'll add your complaint to the roster (maybe they'll finally wise up and fire him). Just a note: you could have backed up to the back side of track 4, behind the fence surrounding the adjacent parking lot, and by zooming in just a little, you'd have gotten the same shot without setting foot on Catellus property.

Last edited:
Just a note: you could have backed up to the back side of track 4, behind the fence surrounding the adjacent parking lot, and by zooming in just a little, you'd have gotten the same shot without setting foot on Catellus property.
Not exactly. Kubrick got into an argument with the director of photography on one of his movies on this point, IIRC, with Kubrick insisting on a particular perspective, and I think this led to that movie being shot with a different director of photography than had originally been planned.

Of course, it is possible that Patrick wasn't carefully planning this particular perspective for this particular shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back