Pullman, Illinois

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Konrad

Lead Service Attendant
Next month I have a two day layover in Chicago and, as a former staffer with the Department of Housing and Regional Development I am interested in a visit to Pullman, one of the world's first planned communities. I know how to get there (Red Line and the 111 bus) and will have a CTA visitor's pass so it should be a cinch to get there from the Loop.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what to look out for, particularly any rail memorabilia that may be on display.

My only experience with the Pullman product is the sleeper on display at the California Rail Museum. Budd was king on this side of the Pacific (oops, stand corrected, there is a Pullman diner on display at the National Rail Museum in Adelaide, South Australia).

Been to Chicago often so, please, I've done the Sears Tower, Art Institute, Science and industry Museum and all the rest (and I don't like American pizzas so no Giordano's suggestions).

Just the facts ma'am. :)

Konrad, in Chicago neighborhoods change all the time. One-time slums become upscale neighborhoods. And the other way around. I have lived in the Chicago area almost all my life and have never been to Pullman. I keep thinking that you should investigate if the area around Pullman is safe and if the route you plan is safe. I don't know anything about the south side of Chicago, but maybe others on this forum can tell you.

The 95th street red line station is a top drug dealing area. There has been shootings near the station. The problems occur mostly when school let's out around 3 pm. There is an increased police presence but this does not mean a gang fight won't happen. In summary, if you aren't street smart, and would be disturbed by people asking you for money then don't go.

I concur with the advice not to ride the Red Line/bus combo to Pullman. Even though you'll have a CTA visitor's pass, I would take Metra instead. The Metra Electric Line runs from Millenium (nee Randolph Street) station and stops at 111th Street right in Pullman. If you travel on a weekend, $5 will get you a Metra weekend pass good for unlimited rides the entire weekend on all lines but the South Shore (NICTD).

Two things to keep in mind:

1) The Pullman factory itself suffered a severe fire a few years ago. The brick shell of the building is still there, but that's it.

2) The Florence Hotel, an old Victorian hotel visible from the station, is the centerpiece of Pullman and (at least the last time I looked) serves a famous Sunday all-you-can-eat brunch.

The 95th street red line station is a top drug dealing area. There has been shootings near the station. The problems occur mostly when school let's out around 3 pm. There is an increased police presence but this does not mean a gang fight won't happen. In summary, if you aren't street smart, and would be disturbed by people asking you for money then don't go.
Gee, you guys certainly aren't looking for a job with the Chicago Tourist Bureau!

Not too fussed by the South Side, been there before during the daytime and found the locals friendly and polite (might not want to be there after dark, though). Like most places with 'history' I find the history lives long after the threat.

And if beggars bothered me I wouldn't go the the US. <_<

Giordano's is the best pizza on earth, and I don't care what anyone says. I go from New York to Chicago JUST TO EAT THIS PIZZA. And New York pizza ain't bad.

Anyway: If you've ridden on Superliners, you've likely experienced Pullman products. The Superliner Is were the last products built by Pullman-Standard.

Giordano's is the best pizza on earth, and I don't care what anyone says. I go from New York to Chicago JUST TO EAT THIS PIZZA. And New York pizza ain't bad.
Anyway: If you've ridden on Superliners, you've likely experienced Pullman products. The Superliner Is were the last products built by Pullman-Standard.
Enough with the pizza, already!

I'm staying at the Ambassador East - home of one of Chicago's most famous restaurants - and I'm not going to bulk out before boarding a two day journey to San Francisco :huh: .

I'll have more than enough time to 'carb out' on my way west.

I was wanting to go there lately and talked to a local. Said the Pullman area is fine but everything around that particular neighborhood is quite bad. Said to use "caution" if I go and not to take the Red Line. Is it worth dying to see it? This ain't Australia my friend! :unsure:

Gee, you guys certainly aren't looking for a job with the Chicago Tourist Bureau!
Not too fussed by the South Side, been there before during the daytime and found the locals friendly and polite (might not want to be there after dark, though). Like most places with 'history' I find the history lives long after the threat.

Konrad, the truth is that most of us who live here love Chicago. We also know the dangers that exist in some areas of Chicago. The South Side is very large and while one neighborhood could be great, a Chicago native would not go a few blocks away where the area is dangerous, or at the minimum be extremely wary. Please don't think that daytime is always safe, because that's definitely not true.

The Metra that John Breden wrote about sounds like a safer way to go than the train/bus combination.

Konrad, the truth is that most of us who live here love Chicago. We also know the dangers that exist in some areas of Chicago. The South Side is very large and while one neighborhood could be great, a Chicago native would not go a few blocks away where the area is dangerous, or at the minimum be extremely wary. Please don't think that daytime is always safe, because that's definitely not true.

The Metra that John Breden wrote about sounds like a safer way to go than the train/bus combination.
Bad news everybody, we went to Pullman and survived!

As we were at the Ambassador East the most convenient connection was from Clark/Division station on the Red Line. I considered the Metra service but found the website impenetrable so we resigned ourselves to the Red Line and rode it out to Dan Ryan/95th. Not the most inspiring trip - tunnel and the centre of a freeway - but it was uneventful, non-threatening and quick.

Maybe because it was Good Friday (Australia, probably the most godless country of them all virtually shuts down for Easter - the USA has 'business as usual :huh: ) Dan Ryan was very quiet, just a lot of people trying to connect with their buses. The 111 bus was waiting and we boarded for a rather long ride to Pullman.

Although the surrounding area is rather run down the town itself is quite charming but still in need of a lot of restoration. As the houses are all privately owned renovation is proceeding in a piecemeal fashion - a pity there isn't some economic stimulus money available (don't laugh, it's available on this side of the Pacific). Probably the biggest, and most worthwhile, project would be to get the Hotel Florence up and running again and give the town a focal point. As it is there are no shops, restaurants or bars to speak of. The shell of the factory would be too big a project for anyone to tackle without a commercial interest (build the new Amtrak cars, possibly :rolleyes: ).

The preservation group are housed in an eyesore of a building just across from the hotel. We arrived just as a student group from the university were leaving on a guided street tour and we were invited to tag along. This was just too good to be true and gave an invaluable insight into the history and architecture of the township. The preservation society also has a very limited display of Pullman memorabilia, photographs and posters. There is also a video presentation outlining the history of the area and company and outlining the recent preservation attempts.

Caught the bus back to Dan Ryan and had the most convoluted journey back to the station - we even passed our bus stop again - and survived the journey back into town. We did notice that the residential streets running back from the main roads seemed to be very ordered and maintained with quite some pride, not the image we had been told to expect. No drug deals, no shootings and not even any antisocial behavior.

Although it is more of an interest to those who are interested in town planning rather than railways I would recommend a visit to anyone with even a passing interest in history. But if you can work out how to use the Metra service it might be a bit quicker :) .

Metra's site is a little behind the times, but the information is there.

Your best bet for negotiating Chicago's transportation web is to use the Trip Planner from the Regional Transportation Authority.

Even then it can take some tweaking to get the result you want (if you wanted a "trains only" route to Pullman). I had to try different ways of stating the address of Ambassador East at 1301 N State Parkway.

Anyway, your combo of CTA train and CTA bus was probably the cheapest (about $2.50 one way). The route of CTA train downtown and hopping Metra Electric from Rudolph Station would have cost a total of $5.60 one-way. However, adding Metra would have probably been more scenic than riding down the freeway and saved you about 10 minutes in travel time.

I hope that information helps in some way.

I am glad that everything worked out fine. You probably rode right by the school that I work in. Most of the people are fine, it is the 10% that are fools that ruin it for the rest of us. Since some our students are often victimized, or involved in the activities at the 95th street terminal, I probably have a different view of that area. One of my students was shot in an alley behind the gas station a couple of years ago. He survived, but this stuff does hit close to home. I like working at my school, and I enjoy my students, and the players I coach.

I did not mean to discourage you, but some people would pass through the area and be ok, and others might be not be ok. I was really only advising that you not pass through their around 3 in the afternoon on a school day. Good friday was fine because there was no school.

Enjoy your travels.

Thanks for the update, Konrad. I'm happy to hear it was a successful visit and had the bonus of being able to join a group and hear more about the Pullman area.

Would you say it was worth visiting if you weren't able to join a group as you did?

It seems that there must be a reason why nobody ever talks about visiting Pullman when asked about places to see in Chicago.

The #111 bus route is easily the most confusing bus route in the entire system. And yes, if you aren't paying attention to which way you're boarding, at 111th & Cottage Grove you can wind up catching a bus that will go around a long loop and wind up back where you started before finally getting to the Red Line.

Good to hear that things worked out otherwise.

Thanks for the update, Konrad. I'm happy to hear it was a successful visit and had the bonus of being able to join a group and hear more about the Pullman area.
Would you say it was worth visiting if you weren't able to join a group as you did?

It seems that there must be a reason why nobody ever talks about visiting Pullman when asked about places to see in Chicago.
Actually, we probably explored less because we were with the group. Left to our own devices we'd have used a map from the visitor centre and ranged a bit further. The Hotel Florence also has a vast array of information sheets (and some very helpful staff).

I am glad that everything worked out fine. You probably rode right by the school that I work in. Most of the people are fine, it is the 10% that are fools that ruin it for the rest of us. Since some our students are often victimized, or involved in the activities at the 95th street terminal, I probably have a different view of that area. One of my students was shot in an alley behind the gas station a couple of years ago. He survived, but this stuff does hit close to home. I like working at my school, and I enjoy my students, and the players I coach.
I did not mean to discourage you, but some people would pass through the area and be ok, and others might be not be ok. I was really only advising that you not pass through their around 3 in the afternoon on a school day. Good friday was fine because there was no school.

Enjoy your travels.
We're frequent travellers and keep well away from strctured tours where possible - you'd be surprised at some of the places we've ventured alone. It's all in the attitude and making sure you don't try to draw attention to yourself.

But, even then, I was mugged in a Melbourne park on my way home from work several years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back