Run in with customer relations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Squeakz2001

Service Attendant
So, my husband and I got this $250 voucher from Amtrak. It expires next week. We aren't able to use it before it expires. We just called customer relations and asked if we could get an extension. They said the only way they would grant us another voucher (or extension) is if we had a doctors excuse saying that one of us is medically unable to travel. We would have to send in the doctor note, the voucher, and a written statement about why we couldn't cash in the voucher right now.

Am I back in middle school? A doctors note?!?!

Is this true? Should we call again?

Unless this is the second year, you should be able to renew the voucher for another year. Alan would know the drill, but I believe you have to mail it into Amtrak and ask for a second year. They should then mail you a new voucher good for another year. They will not renew a second voucher for a third year. The catch is that Amtrak must receive the expiring voucher by mail before it actually expires. Once expired, it is gone. With the voucher expiring next week, there is not much time.

Now, it is possible that Amtrak changed the policy and will no longer automatically renew a voucher for a second year. If so, I have not heard anything about that. Once again, I will defer to Alan and see if he knows anything more.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also would call again, and if necessary, ask to speak with a supervisor! Vouchers can be renewed once more of the request is made before the original voucher expiration date!

And remember, the expiration date is the expiration of the voucher. You do not have to travel by that date!

Since this is so, you could use it to make a future reservation (say in 9 or 10 months). Then if you could not make that trip, if you cancel, you will get a new voucher (good for a year from then)!

I"ve not heard of any change in policy, but that is not to suggest that it hasn't been changed. But as far as I know it cannot be done by phone. The original voucher must be mailed into Amtrak and it must arrive before it's expiration date.

Another option as mentioned above might be to quickly run down to a local station and make a reservation for a trip with a similar value several months out. The voucher would then be used and you'd have new tickets for a trip. If you can't take said trip, then make sure that you cancel it before any penalty dates and you'll get a new voucher. Or you could also figure out in the interim a real trip that you want to take and then trade in those tickets towards the purchase price of the real trip.

Ok. I am gonna call again and see if they will give me the addy to send it and give me the right info. I'll let ya know what I find out.

This is rediculous! I talked to a really nice lady who was no help at freakin all!!! I was on hold for 15 minutes, then she told me the same junk that the other lady did! I wasn't even allowed to speak to a supervisor. She said they were only there for administrative purposes. Gimme a break! She told me that she would gladly make a 'hypothetical' reservation for me, then I can cancel and get another voucher, but I would still have to drive over an hour at the dead of freakin night to exchange my voucher for tickets. Then I would have to cancel those tickets and get another voucher. Is it really worth it?!?!

This is rediculous! I talked to a really nice lady who was no help at freakin all!!! Is it really worth it?!?!
You hold the voucher, it's your call. Me thinks you need to keep trying on the phone, be prepared to overnight the voucher back, and save your gas money. Alan's pretty up on things and I haven't heard of any policy changes. It's amazing what one num- skull can do in the lunch room, or powder room of Amtrak reservations. I despise the ho-hum statement, "Well, actually, Mary told me that she thinks you can't do that." When you try and pin them down for a definite answer they get insulted and shut down. That's when you hang up and dial again.

This is rediculous! I talked to a really nice lady who was no help at freakin all!!! Is it really worth it?!?!
You hold the voucher, it's your call. Me thinks you need to keep trying on the phone, be prepared to overnight the voucher back, and save your gas money
I agree with had8ley - be prepared to overnight it. Whatever the cost (I don't know what it is $15-$30) is still cheaper then driving 1 hour each way with the price of gas these days.

But again, it depends on the value of the voucher. If it is a voucher for $25, then spending a shipping cost of $30 doesn't make too much sense. But if the voucher is worth $200, then it's your call. Also remember that the voucher MUST BE RECEIVED by Amtrak before the expiration date!

If you go to your local post office and send it Express Mail, it shouldn't run more than $15 for overnight delivery. Express Mail is one of the best values around in overnight shipping.

Squeekz,

I'll leave it up to you to decide if you just want to send in your voucher or whether you want to try once more via the phone just to confirm the address. However if you do call, first make sure that once you reach an agent, that you then ask for customer service. Agent's can't deal with this issue and if you aren't asking the agent for Customer Service, then you aren't speaking with the correct people.

Once you have a customer service rep on the phone, if they once again tell you no, then ask them to pick up the latest National Timetable and flip to page 125. Halfway down the left column on that page is a section entitled "Time Limits". In that paragraph is specifically states "An exchange voucher is valid for one year from date of issue, and may be renewed provided this is done before its expiration date." Ask them to explain how they are correct in light of that.

You may however just find it easier to run down to your local post office and just send the voucher in by next day air service, along with a note asking that they reissue you a new voucher. If you do that, to the best of my knowledge it still goes to the revenue center in Philly. This is the same place that one can mail an unused ticket in for a refund, so it makes sense that they deal with the vouchers too. But note that the timetable doesn't actually say that this is where to send the voucher to, although I seem to recall that this is where they were sent in the past. That address is:

Amtrak Customer Refunds, Box 70, 30th St. Station, 2955 Market Street, Philadelphia, Pa. 19104-2898.

By the way, I highly recommend using the US Postal service as Fed-ex and other services like that sometimes have issues when trying to deliver to a post box. The US Postal service does not.

Good luck! :)

Ok. After 34 minutes on the phone with Customer Services agent Kim, I finally just made on final plea for help. She said that Amtrak doesnt renew vouchers you get when you recieve them for crappy services rendered. I told her that she was also rendering crappy services and I want to talk to someone who doesn't. She still told me that I would have to go to the station (Cin is the closest one, and they are open at night) and exchange them. After about 20 minutes of nice but firm negotiations, she put me on hold like 4 times, and finally extended me a '1 time courtesy' extension and credit to my account. I have to send it in to the following address and they will credit my account for 1 year.

Amtrak, PO Box 14472, Philly PA 19115-0472

Is that a valid address?

Thanks for all your help. Who knew you had to go through so much junk to get a voucher extended?

Hmm, very interesting to note that they seem to differentiate between vouchers for returned tickets vs. bad service. That's one that I hadn't heard before, but they are technically within their rights to do that if they so desire.

As for the address, I have to imagine that it is. It is still a Philly address, which is where financial matters are typically handled. I note that a refund voucher that I got was mailed from 19116, so I'd say that it sure sounds like she gave you a good address.

Glad it all worked out for you though and make sure that you get that voucher in without delay.

Squeekz, this is Dr. Rail McRookie calling.(the doctor is Irish American) How have you been since that terrible accident? I have noticed an increase in the amount of pharmecuticals you have been requesting. I hope you are resting easy from your tragic accident on that dang airplane and automobile. Those highways and and airports can be so gosh darn dangerous. I'm requesting you only travel by rail only. Please e-mail me if you need any kind of note for anything. My patients and thier needs always comes first! :lol:

Sincerely,

Dr. Rail McRookie

thats amtrak for you. there known for there terrible customer service. when i was at flagstaff station back in may 4th 07 the ticket agent was rude. she and another passenger were screaming at each other over the fact that you can't catch the greyhound bus at the train station and that you have to call a cab. her attitude was take a cab or walk its not my problem.

Oh now, is that an appropriate comment? Just because she was having a tough day, you make that asinine assumption?
Not to defend KISS_ALIVE, but good customer service is when crap is flying all over you and you don't look, sound, or act like it bothers you. That's for when you get home.

The Flagstaff bus connection is very poorly documented and is a huge source of pain and headache with passengers who are not told about the bus/taxi requirement. It's something that Amtrak is very aware of and chooses not to clarify with passengers. My sorrows to the front line people that have to deal with this because of poor management.

We mailed in the voucher today, certified mail. It costs 5 bucks. It should get there before the expiration date of June 13. FRIDAY the 13th. haha

she and another passenger were screaming at each other over the fact that you can't catch the greyhound bus at the train station and that you have to call a cab. her attitude was take a cab or walk its not my problem.
There is no way that Amtrak can get the Trains to go to the Bus Station. There aren't any TRACKS there!

If you want Greyhound to get a Bus to go to the Train Station... take it up with Greyhound!

I'm not clear why anybody would want to take Greyhound from Flagstaff anyway, since "Open Road Tours" has more busses, better schedules, and DOES go to the Train Station.

I'm not clear why anybody would want to take Greyhound from Flagstaff anyway, since "Open Road Tours" has more busses, better schedules, and DOES go to the Train Station.
Because if you request a trip from CHI (or anywhere) to Phoenix, you are routed on the SWC to FLG and then connect to a GREYHOUND bus to Phoenix! :eek:

Because if you request a trip from CHI (or anywhere) to Phoenix, you are routed on the SWC to FLG and then connect to a GREYHOUND bus to Phoenix! :eek:
It actually shows you three options to Phoenix. Two of them don't work stating there is no service. The third works which lists Phoenix, AZ - Greyhound Station. However, your itinerary that comes us show "Self Transfer" from the train station to the Greyhound station. I have never seen that before! It even lists a service number... "8723 Self Transfer"

It actually shows you three options to Phoenix. Two of them don't work stating there is no service. The third works which lists Phoenix, AZ - Greyhound Station.
Curious. The printed schedule (at least for April 2008) clearly shows the other options. Maybe they would have to be reserved by Telephone, if the Website doesn't know about them?

she and another passenger were screaming at each other over the fact that you can't catch the greyhound bus at the train station and that you have to call a cab. her attitude was take a cab or walk its not my problem.
There is no way that Amtrak can get the Trains to go to the Bus Station. There aren't any TRACKS there!

If you want Greyhound to get a Bus to go to the Train Station... take it up with Greyhound!

In the website back in 07 when I booked the train trip from CHI to PHX I had to connect to a greyhound bus (thruway service) from flagstaff to phx. But at the time it did not say self transfer. We all assumed that the Bus stopped at the Amtrak station and took you to PHX. It does not you have to catch it at the greyhound station. Well they don't tell you that and the ticket agent at the station hid the sign out of view telling you that. As soon as i entered the station the passenger and the agent were going at it. the passenger was asking for her employee number.Same thing back on the Texas eagle this year. After we hit that car this lady who was not in uniform was telling people to get back on the train(safety) well some people did not believe her and when asking for ID she threatened to have them arrested for refusing orders. SHE COULD HAVE BEEN A TERRORIST FOR ALL WE KNOW. (she was part of the switching crew in san-Antonio tx.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back