Signing up to AGR without a US/Canada mailing address

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oiky

Train Attendant
Sorry if this subject has been covered, i did a quick search and couldnt find anything. I am from the UK and i want to sign up to amtrak guest rewards. under mailing address there doesn't seem to be an option to give an address outside of US/Canada.

I'm sure giving a fake mailing address is the simplest solution here but i wouldn't want to break any terms or conditions by doing so. has anyone else from the UK signed up for AGR? or could anyone advise me what to do in this situation. thanks!

This is weird. The phone number area says, "*Please provide your primary domestic phone number. If you reside outside of the U.S. and Canada, an international phone number can be added when entering an international billing address," but they don't have an option to enter an international billing address. :huh:

Oh wait wait wait... yes, they do. I had to click on a different button. That's still weird, though. That must be for people in the U.S. or Canada on a student/work visa.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just looked at their Terms & Conditions. #1 says, "Membership is open to all residents of the U.S. and Canada."

It doesn't say " permanent" residents so technically anyone touring the US is a "temporary" resident no?

US citizens and residents are able to sign up for and use VIAs Loyalty program in Canada ( can't think of the name?) so why does AGR discriminate against our visitors, tourism is a huge business in this country and lots of folks do ride Amtrak trains while here?!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
it's a shame for me because i'm due to spend over $1000 on trains in the next few months! i guess they will get their money still regardless!

tried to book a journey earlier but it seems they are having technical difficulties on the site anyway!

The only way around it is if you can provide an address in the US or Canada. (Such as a friend's US address.) This was mainly done because "back in the old days", your award redemption was issued via a paper ticket and AGR wanted to avoid the time and extra expense to ??????? but now that tickets are electronic, I don't understand why not.

And it says "... U.S. and Canada" - which means Canadian citizens also.

It's also needed because they do still send you a membership card, luggage tags, etc.

With that said...if nothing else you might be able to arrange something with someone who can forward it to you.

Serious question: Does anyone know if it would be against AGR's T&C to arrange to act as someone's US/Canada address for an AGR membership and then forward them their stuff? If it wouldn't, I know there are probably a few of us that would happily act as such a base if the expense of forwarding stuff on was covered.

I'm not sure, but as long as AGR sends any communication to the member at a U.S. or Canadian address, I don't think AGR cares. They don't do a citizenship check. If the email address is like .au or .po they may think you're foreign, but if you're email address is like yahoo.com or Google.com I don't think there will be any problem.

Back