Ten Sights No Railfan Should Miss -or- The Railfan's Bucket List

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm. Maybe we should break this up a bit, because it's honestly a little unwieldy to try and string together all these different locations all across the world. Let's try to stick to North America first and then move on to international locations afterward. Sound good?

Any ideas on how one could get from chicago to the illinois railway museum... without a car? :(
Well, they do have active rails nearby so maybe you could hop on a freight train? Then again, you might get the living snot beat out of you courtesy of the friendly railroad bulls at UP. My advice is to take a car and avoid weeks or months of rehabilitation work. Or, if you're in good health maybe you could try your hand at dodging enraged motorists as you slowly cycle your way there. Google maps shows it taking six hours or so by bicycle from downtown Chicago. Assuming you took the metro as far as it would go I think you could cut that down considerably, to maybe a couple hours or so. Seems quite possible if you have a bike and don't mind the effort.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I would like to do when I become rich and famous
mosking.gif
cool.gif
But you are Famous already
Don't you mean infamous?
huh.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Excluding all those that I have already been on, here are a few that I would like to travel on:

5. (South Africa) Jo'burg to Cape Town on the route of the Blue Train

jis; This one is high on my list too. I never made the trip when I was traveling RSA.

Unless it's buried in someone else's list, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it: Switzerland. The Glacier Express might be too "touristy" for some people's tastes, but a narrow-gauge railway that isn't just one or two short lines, but actually part of a rather extensive system serving a sizable chunk of an important European country, cannot be dismissed. The other railway lines in Switzerland, both standard- and narrow-gauge, also seem to have something to offer for many railfans.

Any ideas on how one could get from chicago to the illinois railway museum... without a car? :(
Well, they do have active rails nearby so maybe you could hop on a freight train? Then again, you might get the living snot beat out of you courtesy of the friendly railroad bulls at UP. My advice is to take a car and avoid weeks or months of rehabilitation work. Or, if you're in good health maybe you could try your hand at dodging enraged motorists as you slowly cycle your way there. Google maps shows it taking six hours or so by bicycle from downtown Chicago. Assuming you took the metro as far as it would go I think you could cut that down considerably, to maybe a couple hours or so. Seems quite possible if you have a bike and don't mind the effort.
A couple of hours isn't a bad guess. Woodstock IL has the nearest Metra station to Union IL where the Illinois Railway Museum is, and Woodstock is 91 minutes from Chicago (Ogilvie Station) by the UP-Northwest line. Taking the address for IRM (7000 Olson Rd., Union IL) and the Woodstock station (90 Church St., Woodstock IL), Google Maps computes a trip of 10 miles or 48 minutes for bicyclists. The route it computes for cyclists is direct yet avoids main highways, while the route it computes between the same points for a motorist uses major highways less suitable for cycling.

Unless it's buried in someone else's list, I'm surprised no one else has mentioned it: Switzerland. The Glacier Express might be too "touristy" for some people's tastes, but a narrow-gauge railway that isn't just one or two short lines, but actually part of a rather extensive system serving a sizable chunk of an important European country, cannot be dismissed. The other railway lines in Switzerland, both standard- and narrow-gauge, also seem to have something to offer for many railfans.
I didn't mention anything in Switzerland in my list mainly because I have ridden most of the spectacular ones. I have ridden the Glacier Express route once by Glacier Express and then by local trains in which you can open the windows and stick your camera and neck out (carefully). That is much more fun! Another spectacular line is the Martigny (Switzerland) - Chamonix (France) line.

I've ridden on Trenitalia's Cisalpino Train from Stuttgart, Germany to Milano, Italy via Zurich, Luzern, Lugano, Chiasso, Como then Milano.. Was a wonderful trip through the alps.. and on HSR ;)

I didn't mention anything in Switzerland in my list mainly because I have ridden most of the spectacular ones. I have ridden the Glacier Express route once by Glacier Express and then by local trains in which you can open the windows and stick your camera and neck out (carefully). That is much more fun! Another spectacular line is the Martigny (Switzerland) - Chamonix (France) line.

I've ridden on Trenitalia's Cisalpino Train from Stuttgart, Germany to Milano, Italy via Zurich, Luzern, Lugano, Chiasso, Como then Milano.. Was a wonderful trip through the alps.. and on HSR ;)
I have taken the Cisalpino from Geneve to Milano soon after it was originally introduced with tilting trains sets. Of coruse that one was via Lausanne, Visp, Brig, Simplon Tunnel, Domodossola, Stresa. The view of the Loetschberg Line descending from the Loetschberg Tunnel down to Brig at the base of Rhone Valley, along the opposite mountainside is quite fascinating.

For anyone in the Northeast just looking for a quick ride to sample a classic Budd Stainless-steel consist complete with Sleepers and Dome (without the expense of riding the Canadian)......it’s VIA’s Chaleur (or Montreal <> Gaspe train as it’s called now) And you can easily do it in a long weekend. It departs Montreal on Wed, Fri. and Sun evenings......arrives into Gaspe at noon the following day, makes a quick turn and is back in Montreal the following morning in time to connect with the southbound Adirondack at St Lambert.

That’s nearly 2100 kms (roundtrip) of Dome riding. The portion between Matapedia and Gaspe is the most scenic and nearly all in daylight……650 km (roundtrip) either running along a beach or high on a cliff above the Baie des Chaleurs.

I'm a huge proponent of passenger rail, but if anyone tried to build a bridge or tunnel across the Atlantic Ocean I'll be first in line to vote that measure down. If you don't want to fly take a ship. If you don't want to take a ship, don't cross the ocean. :cool:

TGV, any route.

Flying Scotsman.

Trans-Siberian Express.

Chunnel Train.

New Orient Express.

New Russian Luxury Train.

Patagonian Express.

Canadian.

Via to Hudson Bay.

White Pass & Yukon.

Pikes Peak Cog.

Any Vietnamese, Cambodia, or Thai line.

New Chinese HSR.

Chinese Train to Top of the World

South African Blue Train......

There's just too damn many................
Are you talking the original Flying Scotsman Steam Engine?...because I saw it when I was in York this past April (National Rail Museum) and it's currently in pieces and being refurbished. I rode the Canadian back in 1988, and loved the trip (Spiral Tunnels were really cool)...I just wish they'd return that train to the old CP route where it belongs!

I remember reading stuff around the net that theres been a few discussions between Russia and US on and off for the past few years about the feasibility of building a Bridge/Tunnel combo between the shortest distance spot on the Alaska coastline to a Russian Island near the 180 line then from there to the mainland to Naukan/Dezhnevo. and then connecting into the freight line thats about to be completed from Vladivostok-Anadyr-Dezhnevo. The ideas i've read vary from just freight tunnel to rail/road combo. Then to build new rail lines to Anchorage from Nome and the coast where the tunnel comes out. The ideas I've been reading about talk about making it cheaper to move commodities between Far Eastern Russia and the US/North America.. to move it by rail to Alaska then ship from anchorage to mainland us or the products destined for Alaska then get distributed through normal distribution channels once the freights arrive in Alaska. Its supposedly shaping up as a JV related to Gas exports and exchanges.

http://www.sqwalk.co...007/001034.html

http://www.redorbit....aska/index.html

http://rt.com/Busine...a__and__US.html

http://www.mathaba.net/news/?x=553688

Thus the further idea is that you could move freight from Anchorage to Vladivostok or Yakutsk by rail.. then from there to virtually anywhere in Europe also by rail! Which I'm sure would become a nice alternative to moving freight.

Looks like a Russian Rail tycoon is funding the project and is in talks about funding part of the cost of building rail line from Anchorage to Nome.

http://economictimes...how/1922595.cms

http://oilsandstruth...ipelines-alaska

I'm a huge proponent of passenger rail, but if anyone tried to build a bridge or tunnel across the Atlantic Ocean I'll be first in line to vote that measure down.
OK, then build it via the Pacific!
biggrin.gif
(You mentioned the Atlantic, but not the Pacific - so you must be OK with it!
mosking.gif
)

I'm a huge proponent of passenger rail, but if anyone tried to build a bridge or tunnel across the Atlantic Ocean I'll be first in line to vote that measure down. If you don't want to fly take a ship. If you don't want to take a ship, don't cross the ocean. :cool:
I beg to differ. On the discover show "Extreme Engineering" it outlined exactly how you could do such a tunnel and put every airline out of business. It would be a vacuum sealed maglev tunnel so that the trains could go from London-NYC in about an hour. Very impressive and well thought out. Though, to put costs into perspective, it would cost the ENTIRE federal budget in a year, about 3 times the Netherlands GDP. It would also take about a century to build. The technology to make it happen exists now though. All it would take is multi-national cooperation (never gonna happen). But, it is possible to do in a feasible way.

I beg to differ...Though, to put costs into perspective, it would cost the ENTIRE federal budget in a year, about 3 times the Netherlands GDP. It would also take about a century to build.
What exactly are you differing with then? It makes about as much sense as the "diamond elevator to space." Is it technically possible? Maybe. But anyone who could build such a thing would probably end up using their resources to simply enrich themselves or occupy a foreign country or any number of much easier tasks. "Extreme" projects like these might be great fodder for entertainment venues but they don't have much purpose in the practical world. *shrug*

As stated above the Via Rail's "Canadian", it truly is the last true streamliner, the last remnant of a golden age. Iv'e done it once myself and plan on doing it again coming next march.
Another vote for the "Canadian". I've never done it, but based on YouTube videos, I want to do that one too!

(Hey, I know I'm posting alot to this thread, but I'll soon be 45 and I think I'm legally obligated to start creating my bucket list.)
I sat at the station in Jasper on Sunday and watched it go through. It is an amazing sight. I have no idea how many cars were on it but it stretched for as far as I could see. All I could do was sit and dream. maybe some day.

I sat at the station in Jasper on Sunday and watched it go through. It is an amazing sight. I have no idea how many cars were on it but it stretched for as far as I could see. All I could do was sit and dream. maybe some day.
I believe there is a very low fare deal in coach on the Canadian this month, going cross country for under $200 or some such. They were selling out fast the last I checked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back